Isolation: Quick Overview

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
What a couple of days for this organization.

You just do not get DeAndre Hopkins for David Johnson and a 2nd Round pick.....but that did happen. I just hope everything is in ink, and there is "no backsy's".

Hopkins is an elite player, top 20 player, top 10 non-QB player. If you disagree, then your arse hurts because you are just looking to complain. This is all win.

Hopkins will open the entire offense up. He plays where ever he wants on the field, outside, or inside, and is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. Every team in the NFC West just bought and extra 5 cases of athletic tape, because their DB's ankles are going to be very sore after playing us.

Hopkins SCHOOLS top of the food chain cornerbacks like it is nothing.

The act of putting Hopkins, Fitzgerald, and Drake out on the field creates a threat at every level of the playing field. Deep, intermediate and short passing. ....and that is just 3 players. Good luck covering the rest. Oh yeah, and when you think everything is covered, Kyler Murray takes off running.

This is Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald part two, with Fitzgerald playing the part of Boldin, and Hopkins playing the part of Fitzgerald. Dare I say we have the two best pairs of hands in the NFL right now in the NFL between Hopkins and Fitzgerald?

Instant Impact, and the stats that say this move alone produces +1 wins for the team...ridiculous, it is way more than that. Dare I say +3.

Oh, and we picked up Jordan Phillips. 6'6" 341lbs, and athletic. I believe this will push Corey Peters outside to DE, and add Zach Allen and we have our new defensive front. Do not sleep on this signing, it was a big part of solidifying the defense. I like the idea of putting Peters and Phillips on the field together in the 3-4, it will help keep the linebackers free.

Speaking of Zach Allen, it is easy to forget our 3rd round pick from last year, and that we get Robert Alford back to play cornerback.

As it stands today, I believe the Cardinals have 3 major holes in the roster.

1. Outside Linebacker - The Cardinals need a player opposite Chandler Jones
2. Inside Linebacker - The Cardinals need a player opposite Jordan Hicks (and some depth as well)
3. Right Tackle - Justin Murray is very solid depth, but I think the Cardinals can upgrade this position.

Other needs:

1. Backup Quarterback - Please re-sign Brett Hundley
2. Safety - Interesting situation here with Thompson. A vet would be wise, IMHO.
3. Running Back - You need a 3rd and 4th string RB, but the draft and "Keim Time" should do.
4. Tight End - Williams and Arnold are good, but I think we can do better than Daniels for the 3rd.
5. Guard - Can Gallard play guard in the NFL? Can Murray? Not a huge hole but should be addressed.
6. Defensive Line - Re-sign Rodney Gunter, or even Zach Kerr. Do that, and between the depth we have now and the draft we are good.

DeAndre Hopkins, and Jordan Phillips were very wise, savvy signings IMHO. They plugged pretty big holes in the roster, and their signings make everyone better around them.

Penciled in starting 22:

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Kenyan Drake
WR: DeAndre Hopkins
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Christian Kirk / TE: Dan Arnold
TE: Maxx Williams / WR: KeeSean Johnson/Andy Isabella/Trent Sherfield/Hakeem Butler
LT: DJ Humphries
LG: Justin Pugh
OC: Mason Cole
RG: J.R. Sweezy
RT: __________

NT: Jordan Phillips
DE: Corey Peters
DE: Zach Allen
OLB: Chandler Jones
OLB: _________ / NB: Byron Murphy
ILB: Jordan Hicks
ILB: __________
CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Robert Alford
S: Budda Baker
S: Jalen Thompson

Not bad. That is a pretty solid team.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Great post Rugby.

Question to ponder...

Do we need a RT or RG more?

Sweezy was ok and only has 1 year left (cutting him would save 4m).

Murray is locked in for 2 more years (ERFA and RFA) at a low cost.

Which would be better?
RG Wirfs
RT Murray

RG Sweezy
RT Wills/Wirfs

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Dude, I think you need to temper your enthusiasm just a bit. This is still not a very good football team that needs a lot of help. Hopkins is huge for us, no doubt, but this isn't Fitz/Boldin 2.0. In 2008, they were arguably the top two wide receivers in the league. Right now, Hopkins is probably top three, but no other WR on the team cracks the top 20, in my opinion.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post.

I don’t think Phillips is going to move Peters. I think we are trying to assemble 5 or 6!solid rotational d-linemen. There may be times they are on the field together but both players would excel rotating in and out . A fresh Phillips and Peters in the fourth quarter could reek a little havoc. Add Kerr, Gunther Allen. That leaves a need for a DE unless I’m forgetting somebody. Maybe Derek Wolfe?

And yes we need a an ILB and an OLB. I think one of these positions will be filled in the draft. Maybe both. However at this point we are going to have to live with Reddick at olb.

We could plug in a rookie at ILB with veteran presence around him. I’ll get blasted for this but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cards take Kenneth Murray with our first pick, and here’s where I’ll get blasted , even at 8. Stand down! I think we will trade down here.

I think the Cards are set to go with Murray at RT and perhaps bring Gilbert back to compete.

But Wouldn’t it be nice to dream and get instant respect? Extend Peterson, and Jones and sign Clowney.

BOOM! I know it’s not going to happen but talk about instant credibility. Not only would this defense be vastly improved but the joy of stripping the Seahawks roster would be awesome.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Great post Rugby.

Question to ponder...

Do we need a RT or RG more?

Sweezy was ok and only has 1 year left (cutting him would save 4m).

Murray is locked in for 2 more years (ERFA and RFA) at a low cost.

Which would be better?
RG Wirfs
RT Murray

RG Sweezy
RT Wills/Wirfs

Right tackle.

Right guard is arguably the easiest position to fill in on the offensive line.

In regards to right tackle, I think the Cardinals will sign someone in free agency. James Hurst or Brandon Shell would be an upgrade.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nice work Rugby.

but

We have to learn how to stop TE's and stop the run. In order for me to think that this is a solid team.JMO

I stick with my opinion that Peters and Phillips will be on the field at the same time.

As for covering the tight ends.....that IS tough. De'Vonte Campbell could be a good pick up. Should not break the bank either. Nick Vigil is another player, but not sure how much he would help in that area.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Dude, I think you need to temper your enthusiasm just a bit. This is still not a very good football team that needs a lot of help. Hopkins is huge for us, no doubt, but this isn't Fitz/Boldin 2.0. In 2008, they were arguably the top two wide receivers in the league. Right now, Hopkins is probably top three, but no other WR on the team cracks the top 20, in my opinion.

Where are the weak points ? OLBer ? RT ? ILBer? S?

Those are four big holes, but to be fair there were some HUGE holes filled by these few moves. Allen and Alford coming back will help. If you are talking 8 to 9 wins next year, that is a quite a leap, IMHO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The plan is to play Phillips at DE, at least that is what I saw tweeted yesterday.

I think you are right, most of our starters are set. I am beginning to think the plan is to start Reddick at the other OLB.

Our depth is really weak now though - and we don't have much cap room or many picks so that worries me quite a bit.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't have nearly enough money to fill all the holes. We have about $16m once we redo Nuk's contract.

Might be looking at some cap casualties. I think Reddick will be gone to get some money back.

They can restructure CJ and give P2 a new deal but it's kicking money down the road.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where are the weak points ? OLBer ? RT ? ILBer? S?

Those are four big holes, but to be fair there were some HUGE holes filled by these few moves. Allen and Alford coming back will help. If you are talking 8 to 9 wins next year, that is a quite a leap, IMHO.
You're not far off or possibly not at all? We were a play or two away in 4-5 games last season from having 9-10 wins. Our defense let us down in all those games. Could've or should've beaten the SB runner up twice. At our current pace signing players & depending on the draft, I like our chances next season for the extra wild card spot at the very least. Be in the hunt/mix for one of the three anyways.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What a couple of days for this organization.

You just do not get DeAndre Hopkins for David Johnson and a 2nd Round pick.....but that did happen. I just hope everything is in ink, and there is "no backsy's".

Hopkins is an elite player, top 20 player, top 10 non-QB player. If you disagree, then your arse hurts because you are just looking to complain. This is all win.

Hopkins will open the entire offense up. He plays where ever he wants on the field, outside, or inside, and is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. Every team in the NFC West just bought and extra 5 cases of athletic tape, because their DB's ankles are going to be very sore after playing us.

Hopkins SCHOOLS top of the food chain cornerbacks like it is nothing.

The act of putting Hopkins, Fitzgerald, and Drake out on the field creates a threat at every level of the playing field. Deep, intermediate and short passing. ....and that is just 3 players. Good luck covering the rest. Oh yeah, and when you think everything is covered, Kyler Murray takes off running.

This is Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald part two, with Fitzgerald playing the part of Boldin, and Hopkins playing the part of Fitzgerald. Dare I say we have the two best pairs of hands in the NFL right now in the NFL between Hopkins and Fitzgerald?

Instant Impact, and the stats that say this move alone produces +1 wins for the team...ridiculous, it is way more than that. Dare I say +3.

Oh, and we picked up Jordan Phillips. 6'6" 341lbs, and athletic. I believe this will push Corey Peters outside to DE, and add Zach Allen and we have our new defensive front. Do not sleep on this signing, it was a big part of solidifying the defense. I like the idea of putting Peters and Phillips on the field together in the 3-4, it will help keep the linebackers free.

Speaking of Zach Allen, it is easy to forget our 3rd round pick from last year, and that we get Robert Alford back to play cornerback.

As it stands today, I believe the Cardinals have 3 major holes in the roster.

1. Outside Linebacker - The Cardinals need a player opposite Chandler Jones
2. Inside Linebacker - The Cardinals need a player opposite Jordan Hicks (and some depth as well)
3. Right Tackle - Justin Murray is very solid depth, but I think the Cardinals can upgrade this position.

Other needs:

1. Backup Quarterback - Please re-sign Brett Hundley
2. Safety - Interesting situation here with Thompson. A vet would be wise, IMHO.
3. Running Back - You need a 3rd and 4th string RB, but the draft and "Keim Time" should do.
4. Tight End - Williams and Arnold are good, but I think we can do better than Daniels for the 3rd.
5. Guard - Can Gallard play guard in the NFL? Can Murray? Not a huge hole but should be addressed.
6. Defensive Line - Re-sign Rodney Gunter, or even Zach Kerr. Do that, and between the depth we have now and the draft we are good.

DeAndre Hopkins, and Jordan Phillips were very wise, savvy signings IMHO. They plugged pretty big holes in the roster, and their signings make everyone better around them.

Penciled in starting 22:

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Kenyan Drake
WR: DeAndre Hopkins
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Christian Kirk / TE: Dan Arnold
TE: Maxx Williams / WR: KeeSean Johnson/Andy Isabella/Trent Sherfield/Hakeem Butler
LT: DJ Humphries
LG: Justin Pugh
OC: Mason Cole
RG: J.R. Sweezy
RT: __________

NT: Jordan Phillips
DE: Corey Peters
DE: Zach Allen
OLB: Chandler Jones
OLB: _________ / NB: Byron Murphy
ILB: Jordan Hicks
ILB: __________
CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Robert Alford
S: Budda Baker
S: Jalen Thompson

Not bad. That is a pretty solid team.

Great post, Rugby! Thank you.

Do you put Justin Murray at right guard? I become more and more positive to the idea. What is your take?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
We don't have nearly enough money to fill all the holes. We have about $16m once we redo Nuk's contract.

Might be looking at some cap casualties. I think Reddick will be gone to get some money back.

They can restructure CJ and give P2 a new deal but it's kicking money down the road.

I agree.

I think this team will have to "make do" with the OLBer position.

ILBer, and S are lower cost players in general.

That leaves the RT position. I think Hurst would be too expensive, Brandon Shell is an option, but is he THAT much better than Murray?

Questions abound.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Interesting.

With Kennard signed, the OLBer spot is filled.

An upgrade at RT, and ILBer, and we have out 2020 squad.

To think of where this roster was after Wilks left and how it looks today.....

I am NOT a fan of Steve Keim, yet I cannot and have not looked past his abilities in free agency and his ability to make trades.

Imagine if he could draft players 1/2 as well.

FYI, Shell, the RT from the Jets was signed, so the RT position is the biggest question right now.

There are still some decent free agents, but cost has to go down before the Cardinals sign anymore players, IMHO.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Interesting.

With Kennard signed, the OLBer spot is filled.

An upgrade at RT, and ILBer, and we have out 2020 squad.

To think of where this roster was after Wilks left and how it looks today.....

I am NOT a fan of Steve Keim, yet I cannot and have not looked past his abilities in free agency and his ability to make trades.

Imagine if he could draft players 1/2 as well.

FYI, Shell, the RT from the Jets was signed, so the RT position is the biggest question right now.

There are still some decent free agents, but cost has to go down before the Cardinals sign anymore players, IMHO.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

I honestly dont think any of the available RT options are really any better than Justin Murray at this point.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly dont think any of the available RT options are really any better than Justin Murray at this point.

MARCUS GILBERT (on a "prove it" deal)

Cardinals' Marcus Gilbert: On track for training camp
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Gilbert (knee) expects to resume practising in some capacity during OTAs and ramp up his activity for training camp, Kyle Odegard of the Cardinals' official site reports.

Gilbert suffered a torn ACL just days before the 2019 regular season began, and he missed the entire campaign as a result. The veteran right tackle has appeared in just 12 games across the last three years. An impending unrestricted free agent, Gilbert expects to be fully healthy in time to kick off the 2020 season and said he would "love" to re-sign with the Cardinals.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Gilbert (knee) expects to resume practising in some capacity during OTAs and ramp up his activity for training camp, Kyle Odegard of the Cardinals' official site reports.

Gilbert suffered a torn ACL just days before the 2019 regular season began, and he missed the entire campaign as a result. The veteran right tackle has appeared in just 12 games across the last three years. An impending unrestricted free agent, Gilbert expects to be fully healthy in time to kick off the 2020 season and said he would "love" to re-sign with the Cardinals.

Hopefully he would take a hometown discount since he got paid last year to basically rehab. He knows the offense.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I would sign him to a contract with an injury clause, or wait till week 2.

There cannot be any guarantees with Gilbert, he is WAY too injury prone.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I would sign him to a contract with an injury clause, or wait till week 2.

There cannot be any guarantees with Gilbert, he is WAY too injury prone.

I'd do the same thing with Max Garcia, he can play all 3 interior positions and is now more than a year removed from his injury. I doubt he'd make much more than the league minimum anywhere he was to sign and he'd be decent depth.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Maybe.

The question is with his age and injury history, would he really be better at this point than Murray?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would those of you with inside knowledge put on your thinking caps and tell us what went into the decision to hire Wilks & Co. in the first place.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Would those of you with inside knowledge put on your thinking caps and tell us what went into the decision to hire Wilks & Co. in the first place.
Dinner with Bidwill allowed Wilks to sell himself. SK didn’t object as he felt lucky to be keeping his job. It was really that simple. MB wanted the issue resolved quickly. It was simply a rush to judgment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard