Magic vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/9/18

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to argue with all that... Though, the PG and PF positions worry me... particularly PG... Hope Knight steps up!

Rome wasn't built in a day. PG will come at some point. That's the final piece of the puzzle. Probably won't find it this year, but they'll be good enough to be looked at as a real up and comer next off-season that we could be a great destination for a PG in FA or trade.

Patience grasshopper. Patience.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's looking like the same player from the first half of last season. I hope Kokoskov sits him down and watches film together with him like Triano did.

I think part of it too, he wants excel against summer league players rather than play the game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Rome wasn't built in a day. PG will come at some point. That's the final piece of the puzzle. Probably won't find it this year, but they'll be good enough to be looked at as a real up and comer next off-season that we could be a great destination for a PG in FA or trade.

Patience grasshopper. Patience.

I know... and with the youth still all over this team, we are likely in for another roller coaster of a season. Though this one should have a few more ups than downs! I'm guessing our ceiling would be around 37-38 wins. But will likely finish at 34-35 W's. Which would be a huge improvement over this past season and hopefully would set the stage for a legit playoff run in 2019/2020!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Problem with JJ is that he thinks he is Kobe. Pass the damn ball, play D. Stop trying to be Kobe.

I don't think he would be shooting as much if his shots were falling. He's taking more because he's trying to find a rhythm but he's struggled to do that. He's trying to shoot his way out of it and that's not working for him. So he's probably be averaging 3 or so more shots a game than he would be taking if he was hitting closer to 50%. I'm not worried about it though, it's just Summer League and he won't be playing in all of the games either. Each one of these games could be his last. I'm surprised they played him after the concussion scare.

I know he's trying more in Summer League also but I think he'll try to do less when the season starts when he's got Booker, Knight, Ariza, and Warren on the court with him. He's talked about being a leader for the SL team since he's a 2nd year player and a part of the core. I'd be surprised if he does the same during the season, unless it's garbage time and he's on the floor for it. Nothing to worry about beyond SL though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know... and with the youth still all over this team, we are likely in for another roller coaster of a season. Though this one should have a few more ups than downs! I'm guessing our ceiling would be around 37-38 wins. But will likely finish at 34-35 W's. Which would be a huge improvement over this past season and hopefully would set the stage for a legit playoff run in 2019/2020!

yeah. I'm thinking 30-35 Ws this season. But if we get a PG next off-season, I could see them making a big jump to 50 wins and then contending for titles for the next five years after that before everyone wants a MAX deal and Sarver pisses everything away.

But until then, I'll enjoy the hell out of these next 6 years!:D

Seriously... this team is the future of the league. We've never had that. An all home-grown team, from the bottom up. So weird to think both them and the Cards are finally in a position to build for long-long term success instead of depending on agetting a star at the apex or end of his prime giving us a mini-run of success but nothing sustainable for a decade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I even love Ayton's response to the Bamba trash talk. Didn't take it personally, acknowledged he got him the first four times they played and was happy to get one. Classy response, didn't take the bait to talk smack.

I know we all love Book, but within a couple years this will be Ayton's team. He's the game-changer, A guy that entire defenses will be created to stop, opening up everyone else on O and a guy that if he puts it all together can be a monster on D.

I love it. I love everything about the Suns right now.

Man, it's been AGES since I felt that way. Feels pretty damn good.

I really don't care if he was classy or fired back about his momma what he did on the court is what impressed me. He was legit calling for it down low and just being a bully I love it

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
yeah. I'm thinking 30-35 Ws this season. But if we get a PG next off-season, I could see them making a big jump to 50 wins and then contending for titles for the next five years after that before everyone wants a MAX deal and Sarver pisses everything away.

But until then, I'll enjoy the hell out of these next 6 years!:D

Seriously... this team is the future of the league. We've never had that. An all home-grown team, from the bottom up. So weird to think both them and the Cards are finally in a position to build for long-long term success instead of depending on agetting a star at the apex or end of his prime giving us a mini-run of success but nothing sustainable for a decade.

Agree. The Suns will absolutely need a stud at PG and/or PF to make the jump... But like you said, I can see that happening next year for sure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't care if he was classy or fired back about his momma what he did on the court is what impressed me. He was legit calling for it down low and just being a bully I love it

agree. I just like that he kicked ass on the court and didn't go douchebag off it. It's possible to be impressed with both.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harrison is really interesting. Having a lockdown defensive pg is something we have not had.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I see no reason why Jack Cooley can't play the same role that Alan Williams has played for the Suns the past few seasons. Very similar type players.

Unless they plan on bringing Alan Williams back which I'm all for as well because he's a beloved player in the locker room and a class act off the court (have met him few times over the years).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing I am loving about Ayton is not that we have a young player doing well in SL. It's really clear what he actually IS on the court. He is just going out there and being himself, and it is dominating. He is playing within himself and improving every game.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to keep Reed. Far as I am concerned he has taken Troy Daniels job

Was there really any chance we didn't keep him? I assumed they intended to re-sign him all along but asked him to wait until after summer league to give them flexibility for free agency/trades. I thought he showed more than enough last year and in last year's summer league to be easily worth that what? $1 million contract this year?

I wonder if the people who did not want Ayton still feel that way?

Who are those people?

Also, OK, the Suns have to sign Cooley, lol

Not sure we really want to use up a roster spot on him. I'd rather have a hard-nosed veteran beating the hell out of Ayton and teaching him the ins and outs.

A lot of scouts deleting their “Ayton sucks at defense” posts right about now

Really? Why?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

okay, I enjoyed tonight's game, but let's try to have some objectivity. He committed a terrible turnover and because he runs up the cord and fouls the guy we are supposed to get super excited? I was glad he showed the effort to try to block it. Don't know if I go as far to say I was impressed by it though. I certainly don't understand how it's a highlight clip.

He was a highlight of the night, but I just don't see it. There is no way that guy can hack it in anything resembling a real game. I don't think Peters will ever be a rotation player, but at least he can hit an open 3 so, situationally he can be useful.

I was hoping Peters would be a end of the bench rotation player. Maybe, but right now I would be looking for some other team's discards. I might bring Cooley to camp, but I wouldn't be looking to sign him to the team for the season.

I know now. I'm having fun watching the games, but I still stand by my original assessment. This dude has an incredible amount of learning to do so I hope he absorbs it all like a sponge. Yes 17/13 is nice. It's super exciting for this team who has just never had anything approaching a dominant center. If he works his butt off with the coaches this summer oh man watch out. His feet are just amazing for that size and I'm super excited about his hands. Now go and find a solid, veteran point guard to help lead this team.

Have a good night everybody,
Joe

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jesus, Joe. He’s a 19-year-old rookie who’s literally only played the sport for 7 years. Be easy on him. Of course he has a lot of learning to do. What rookie hasn’t? What should encourage you is that Ayton is coachable, wants to get better, and is a great teammate. Sure, he may not be David Robinson in Year 1, but if he continues to grow, he’ll achieve those lofty standards set onto him by fans.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
No way Cooley makes this team. He is only there to give Ayton a big body to bang against and get stronger during summer practice.

I really like Ayton'' energy in this game and hussel. You can he might be holding back, because a few times I say him boxing out and really trying. I think we will see an even more determined player during the season. Which is very exciting to think about.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Joe Mama

Gotta admit Joe... he did mop the floor with Bamba! Talk about someone with no knowledge of how to position in the post or for a rebound. IMO he is going to get some weakside highlight blocks, while hauling in about 6 boards and getting abused by legit bigs in the post. Seriously, he can get some blocks because of his length, but IMO, his defensive footwork and position isn't even where Ayton's is.

edupunk

Reaction score
Ayton looked the part. I'm really impressed with him, a lot more than I thought I would be tbh. He moves with confidence, that's what I like the most about him. It's a pretty exciting time to be a suns fan....................and that scares me.

I agree, we need a PG, rondo would've been nice for a year. He could've helped ayton develop, and the rest of the young suns for that matter. rondo has played with some pretty good big men in his career, and he looked good in NO last year. But he gone.....

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was there really any chance we didn't keep him? I assumed they intended to re-sign him all along but asked him to wait until after summer league to give them flexibility for free agency/trades. I thought he showed more than enough last year and in last year's summer league to be easily worth that what? $1 million contract this year?

Reed's deal is not guaranteed yet for this season. The guarantee date was pushed back, probably to ensure he's healthy and returned to form because he struggled last season when he was able to return from surgery. The surgery was on the same knee he had injured before and was the 2nd surgery on that knee. When talking about a 21-22 year old whose had 2 surgeries on the same knee, there's a chance he doesn't recover.

He only played in 21 games and didn't look good, only averaging 3 ppg on 29% FG shooting and 29% from 3. I wouldn't say he looked particularly good in any of the games he played in either. He was good in Summer League last year but two good SL performances aren't enough to guarantee a contract. He's looked great so far and should be given a chance to take Daniels spot in the rotation next season. Hopefully he's kept through training camp, at the least, because his SL play has been good enough to give him a shot at being the backup SG next season.

Don't believe you've seen the report from Gambo that said the Suns only pushed back his guarantee date to showcase him for other teams and didn't plan on keeping him. I'm not the only one here who thinks there is no legitimate source behind that idea and it's only Gambo guessing but it was just made yesterday. I don't think any teams would draft a player at #4 in the 2nd round if they didn't intend on letting them try to earn a spot on the team in year 2, especially if they weren't able to play much in year 1 because of injuries. He looks healthy now so there's no reason for them to move on immediately.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton looked the part. I'm really impressed with him, a lot more than I thought I would be tbh. He moves with confidence, that's what I like the most about him. It's a pretty exciting time to be a suns fan....................and that scares me.

I agree, we need a PG, rondo would've been nice for a year. He could've helped ayton develop, and the rest of the young suns for that matter. rondo has played with some pretty good big men in his career, and he looked good in NO last year. But he gone.....
Maybe he beefs with 'Bron and 'Bron trades him away like he did with IT last season.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
With the new haircut and often hopeless dives to the hole, Josh is the new Archie Goodwin.

:shock:

When he makes them though, or plays defense, I'm glad he's Josh. Pretty good game by Bender also.

... Slin?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson