The Suns with the 2018 #1 overall pick select....

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t think Luka will be able to break down defenders. I think he’s sneaky and skilled enough to penetrate in Europe but how common can guys drastically improve their foot speed? Also I’d feel better if he was a great 3pt shooter which he doesn’t seem to be. He takes a lot of step back 3’s based on highlights.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I got nervous watching tonight's Warriors/Rockets game. All I could think was, 'This is the future of basketball. Centerless.' And we're about to go all in on a big man. Gulp.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got nervous watching tonight's Warriors/Rockets game. All I could think was, 'This is the future of basketball. Centerless.' And we're about to go all in on a big man. Gulp.

Why would you think that when ALL the young teams right below the Warriors and Rockets have Cs? And even the Rockets start a traditional C? Even the Celtics start a traditional C.

Look, chasing today’s trend just leaves you in the past once the future comes and to be honest, trying to emulate the Warriors is a complete exercise in futility unless your plan is to put together the best collection of talent of all time. Because thats what the Warriors are. You’re tilting at windmills if that’s your plan.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

embiid, towns, porzingis, Anthony dqavis can't be given away by their teams fast enough, but nobody wants them. No team wants that in today's day and age.

I feel sorry for Houston being saddled with capella, but lucky for them he's a free agent this summer and they can dump him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
embiid, towns, porzingis, Anthony dqavis can't be given away by their teams fast enough, but nobody wants them. No team wants that in today's day and age.

I feel sorry for Houston being saddled with capella, but lucky for them he's a free agent this summer and they can dump him.

Yeah. I think the thing to take from today's game isn't that a good center has no place. The game has changed to the point where it is better to have a good player on the court than a poor center. There's not much room anymore for an Alex Len, a Greg Monroe or a Roy Hibbert

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What's funny, is I bet the same people who say a big cant work in the nba, are probably in love with jokic.

Who is a horrible perimeter defender, and a big averaging .8 blocks a game. But since he's a euro that stuff doesnt matter

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Like others have stated it's about talent.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I really don't get your post at all.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The center poisition is not dead. The big lumbering back-to the basket post Game Center position is dead. The league still needs rim protectors, defensively versatile bigs, and centers who can set good picks and move within an offense.

It’s a team game now. A motion game, pick and roll. Not so much one on one.

Hallelujah for that.

If this draft we’re about which player has the most valuable type of skill set it would be

1. Porter
2. Jackson
3. Doncic
4. Bamba
5. Ayton
6. Young
7. Bagley

Last edited:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I get people liking Luca but he wasn't even the best player on that team Dragic was.

If Luca had more athleticism and lateral quickness he would be a great option at #1. Even in the euro league had had to rely on step backs jumpers to get his shot off. His game reminds me a lot of Hido Terkaglu, decent shooter who at times can get around a player, but only shows flashes of speed and hops.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Come on bro, it was sarcasm!

Capella has no individual offensive game and is gonna get 100 million, probably by the second best team. Idiotic to say big is dead.

i honestly thought you were serious and was about to say that your post would not age well when he gets close to a max deal this summer.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
The center poisition is not dead. The big lumbering back-to the basket post Game Center position is dead. The league still needs rim protectors, defensively versatile bigs, and centers who can set good picks and move within an offense.

It’s a team game now. A motion game, pick and roll. Not so much one on one.

Hallelujah for that.

If this draft we’re about which player has the most valuable type of skill set it would be

1. Porter
2. Jackson
3. Doncic
4. Bamba
5. Ayton
6. Young
7. Bagley

If Porter dropped to 6, 7 or 8. he would be an interesting guy to target for a trade-up. we still would need a point guard but the following lineup would be pretty cool in 2-3 years:

PG
SG - Booker
SF - Jackson
PF - Porter
C - Ayton

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this right here...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this right here...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Perfect! The Suns can draft him, he won't play, and then they can tank again to try to get the top pick in 2019. It would be like the bizarro-incompetent version of the Spurs with Robinson and Duncan.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Perfect! The Suns can draft him, he won't play, and then they can tank again to try to get the top pick in 2019. It would be like the bizarro-incompetent version of the Spurs with Robinson and Duncan.

Trust the timeline! lol

Jonathan Givony of ESPN (RIP Draft Express) was tweeting that Luka's people may use this as a leverage play to help dictate which team drafts him. He also mentioned that it would be extremely unpopular for Doncic to say anything otherwise until the Final 4 is over.

Either way, I would be freaking out right now if the Suns picked 2nd. Luckily, Ayton isn't going to Europe, so the Suns don't have to worry about it!

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I get people liking Luca but he wasn't even the best player on that team Dragic was.

If Luca had more athleticism and lateral quickness he would be a great option at #1. Even in the euro league had had to rely on step backs jumpers to get his shot off. His game reminds me a lot of Hido Terkaglu, decent shooter who at times can get around a player, but only shows flashes of speed and hops.
but Luca was 18 on that team. and he may remind you of Hido, but looking at his highlight reel, i also saw some Magic-like passes and Jordan-like ball handling and finishes at the basket. not bad for a non-athletic, non-point guard

Luca has a scary upside.
ultimately, i couldn't pass on Ayton
but, imo, the only easy decision this draft will be pick #2