The Suns with the 2018 #1 overall pick select....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I believe Sarver has already decided Ayton is who he wants, and McD would have to come up with some significantly powerful arguments to overcome that decision. And before people get up in arms, this is how a lot of businesses go through the decision making process.

In this case, I think you’d be surprised to see the usual suspects (me included) be behind him 1000% if he made the final call for Ayton.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yup. I believe Sarver has already decided Ayton is who he wants, and McD would have to come up with some significantly powerful arguments to overcome that decision. And before people get up in arms, this is how a lot of businesses go through the decision making process.

McDonough has a month before he makes the pick. Carefully considering a range of options is only the responsible thing to do. Let all possible decision paths point to Ayton as the one and only answer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McDonough has a month before he makes the pick. Carefully considering a range of options is only the responsible thing to do. Let all possible decision paths point to Ayton as the one and only answer.
I don't have a problem with that. He has time to explore every aspect and really make sure.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys might recall the last time Gambo said this was right after Sarver went and watched Doncic live.

Today McDonough said he likes 5 players at the 1 pick.

The idea that Sarver and McDonough are not united here seems to be holding up

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You guys might recall the last time Gambo said this was right after Sarver went and watched Doncic live.

Today McDonough said he likes 5 players at the 1 pick

I kinda get what he's saying but....

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder which 5...

If it were me, I'd be comfortable ruling out Carter and Bridges, but I'd want to do my due diligence on the top 7, including Porter. It can't hurt.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1529538/phoenix-suns-gm-ryan-mcdonough-suns-four-2018-draft-picks/

“(We’ll look at) a handful of players – for me, that probably means more than five but less than 10,” he said. “We’ll sit down and take a closer look at it tomorrow, now that it’s real.”

Okay...that looks right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo said today booker really wants ayton...

good. and why wouldn't he? He probably sees the potential of a Kobe-Shaq-esque pairing. But a Kobe-Shaq-esque pairing WITH a poor man's Scottie Pippen too.

Oh man... I can't believe we got the first pick. The GOTTA NAIL THIS. Don't try and become the smartest man in the room like they did with the three-headed point guards where none of them were PGs... not believing in Watson without even interviewing anyone... signing Chandler because you think it will get you Aldridge. Just make the obvious pick.

God has smiled on the Suns for the first time in... EVER. Embrace it, don't overthink it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When JJ was on stage and the pick was announced, he pointed with both hands at Ayton.

oh yeah... those two building blocks WANT the big man. They know how much he havoc they can create if they've got their perimeter shooter/slasher/super athletic big man trifecta.

can the draft just be tonight? I just want this pick over and done with and let the real celebration of the rising Suns begin!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really not sweating it. We're taking Ayton. I firmly believe any talk otherwise is merely to create conversation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Today McDonough said he likes 5 players at the 1 pick.

I think McDonough is only being thorough and examining every option available... doing his due diligence.

He wants to see how much other teams value the pick and see what they would offer for it. Otherwise I don't think he would be doing his job.

Personally I think McDonough wants Ayton at #1.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
oh yeah... those two building blocks WANT the big man. They know how much he havoc they can create if they've got their perimeter shooter/slasher/super athletic big man trifecta.

can the draft just be tonight? I just want this pick over and done with and let the real celebration of the rising Suns begin!
Before this is all done, Ayton is going to be showing up at the informal team workouts. Watch.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think McDonough is only being thorough and examining every option available... doing his due diligence.

He wants to see how much other teams value the pick and see what they would offer for it. Otherwise I don't think he would be doing his job.

Personally I think McDonough wants Ayton at #1.
When you have the #1 pick in the draft for the first time in 50 years, even if you are 95% sure who you are going to draft. You still look at every angle possible. Its a GM's job. Who knows? Something could come up on a health report or police blotter or something.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you have the #1 pick in the draft for the first time in 50 years, even if you are 95% sure who you are going to draft. You still look at every angle possible. Its a GM's job. Who knows? Something could come up on a health report or police blotter or something.

Exactly.

Although not comparable situations, the Suns were completely unprepared when Karl Malone and William Bedford fell in the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much out there. If it hasn't been posted ESPN Euro expert Fran Fraschilla says Doncic is not a PG.

He likes Ayton for the Suns.

Fraschilla also doesn’t believe Doncic can play point guard in the NBA, a role he’d likely fill with the Suns.

“I will disabuse anyone of this notion,” Fraschilla said. "Luka is not a point guard.

"To me he’s a 6-foot-8, 220-pound playmaking small forward. My NBA friends always tell me you are the position you can guard. There’s no way he can guard Damian Lillard or Russell Westbrook.”

In the end, Fraschilla thinks Doncic will be a “high-level NBA player and sometime All-Star.” And that’s why he would select Ayton with the No. 1 pick.

“To me,” he said, “you take the 7-foot-1 center who could be a transcendent big man.

By Scott Bordow

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...eandre-ayton-nba-draft-luka-doncic/615433002/

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
So much out there. If it hasn't been posted ESPN Euro expert Fran Fraschilla says Doncic is not a PG.

Couldnt agree more with everything Fran said. You dont need to play Doncic at PG, and why would you want to? Hes not Ben Simmons, and even he had major issues when the defense begins to key on him, loading to his drives, dropping PNR coverage, ect.

Let Doncic play off the ball and use him as a weapon on the move attacking the defense off DHO, side ball screens, zipper, ball reversals, kick outs, ect.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more with everything Fran said. You dont need to play Doncic at PG, and why would you want to? Hes not Ben Simmons, and even he had major issues when the defense begins to key on him, loading to his drives, dropping PNR coverage, ect.

Let Doncic play off the ball and use him as a weapon on the move attacking the defense off DHO, side ball screens, zipper, ball reversals, kick outs, ect.
If we needed a Small Forward. Which we don't. He'll be happier elsewhere, even if his favorite Coach is here.

I can't help but think that, this year, we should have waiting to select a Head Coach until after the draft. What do you think? Perhaps there is no easy answer to that.