The Suns with the 2018 #1 overall pick select....

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is my take on this. McD is a very careful analytical type. He is going to go through a painstaking process to try to come up with the best possible pick, even though Ayton looks the best.

So, how does that fit with Gambo's 100% remark? Easy. Sarver has already made up his mind.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Vlade isn't going to pass up the chance to draft the most hyped Euro of all time. Doesn't matter what we throw at them.
Might the Kings be persuaded to trade Fox for a nice haul if they’re gonna take Doncic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Word is that Bamba's wingspan was measured at 7-10 this morning. He is still growing. He could end up with an 8-0 wingspan in a year or so. I think one guarantee in this draft is that an all-nba defensive first team is in Bamba's future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my take on this. McD is a very careful analytical type. He is going to go through a painstaking process to try to come up with the best possible pick, even though Ayton looks the best.

So, how does that fit with Gambo's 100% remark? Easy. Sarver has already made up his mind.

I do think McDonough will look at trades for the #1 pick as well although it would take one incredible trade for him to trade down and/or trade for a player.

I agree. Sarver wants Ayton.

Sometimes a GM can overthink a decision involving analytics. The Suns do not want to get too cute with the pick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Charlotte has a ton of horrible contracts, they will want to attach 1 to a walker trade.

Walker and Marvin Williams for 16, Milwaukee pick next year, top 10 protected suns pick?

Marvin makes 29 million over the next two years BUT is a 40% from 3 shooting power forward, perfect for the suns spacing.

Would Charlotte do that, start clearing some cap space and rebuild. I think kupcheck might, but Jordan is an idiot as an owner.
The Suns are in a position to take a horrible contract if it expires at he right time.

If you take back an ugly contract you don’t need to include all those picks.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#1 should only be on the table for the Greek Freak or Anthony Davis. Won't include Porzingis because of his current injury issues that could be pretty serious. Probably listen a KAT offer but wouldn't take it on the spot. Those guys are young enough that adding one in place of Ayton would only move the timeline up, like the Suns may want to do anyways, so they can try and make a playoff run right away. They're all 23 or under as well so they're close to Booker's age and have about a decade of quality play in them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's crazy to see what some people are proposing for Sacramento's pick. Doncic could be a good player, I think he will be a solid player but not quite a star, but before the lottery drawing most people seemed to be against the idea of taking him ahead of Bagley at #2 or #3. Now we're supposed to mortgage our future and all of our assets to add him because we also have the chance to draft Ayton at #1? I don't get it. Ayton should be great for us but I don't see how also adding Doncic is worth giving up our own pick for years to come to take Doncic to play PG is a good move. If someone proposed these trades yesterday they would have been ripped apart.
Because we weren’t assured of having Ayton in the pocket. Now we are. And it’s not mortgaging our future. In my proposal it’s really only adding one current player (Warren) and one of our future first rounders next year. The other two first rounders are this year’s 16th and the Milwaukee pick. In other words, we still have miami’s future pick and all the rest of our picks. That’s certainly not “mortgaging the future.” And to walk away with two vaunted prospects, both in areas of need, both in the most difficult to fill roles? I don’t see what your counter argument is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Personally I'd rather try and trade for Young. I'd offer the Miami pick, the Milwaukee pick along with the 16 and 31 from this season. That might be enough to get Cleveland to bite if Lebron is leaving. If he's staying, I suspect he'd insist on drafting Trae if he's still there. If we have to move ahead of the 8th spot, we'd probably have to include TJ too.
Man that’s a LOT for Trae young.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because we weren’t assured of having Ayton in the pocket. Now we are. And it’s not mortgaging our future. In my proposal it’s really only adding one current player (Warren) and one of our future first rounders next year. The other two first rounders are this year’s 16th and the Milwaukee pick. In other words, we still have miami’s future pick and all the rest of our picks. That’s certainly not “mortgaging the future.” And to walk away with two vaunted prospects, both in areas of need, both in the most difficult to fill roles? I don’t see what your counter argument is.

OK, in YOUR proposal you used those picks but you're not the only one making trade scenarios for Doncic and some are suggesting other picks. You don't throw away all of the picks we own for a rookie who is positionless in the NBA at this point. He may be able to play PG in the NBA but he may not.

How many teams can develop 2 top players from a draft at the same time they're also developing the 3-4 other high lottery picks on the roster? I think Booker would be the only starter who could legally buy beer. That is a really young team you're putting on the floor every night. You want a first time head coach to handle that team also? Sounds like you're setting him up to fail, at the least you're making his job a whole lot harder. Not only is he supposed to develop those players but turn them into a cohesive team that starts winning right away. We'd need to see immediate improvement so the pick's of our that we send out aren't top lottery picks.

I don't think it's such a foolproof plan or great idea, I think you're throwing all of our eggs in one basket. If Doncic doesn't pan out then what? How do we recover then? What if Ayton busts? Where can they turn to then? Or maybe Booker is upset you gave away all of our assets for another rookie when he made it clear he wants to get us to the playoffs and that will be a hell of lot harder with him being the oldest rotation player on the team. That's crazy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that’s a LOT for Trae young.

Maybe but I suspect it's not enough. I think Young is special and none of those picks are favored to be good enough to land a special player. But a team in need of draft picks might bite if point guard isn't a pressing need. Or, at least, that's my hope.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think the 2021 Miami pick could be really good. They are headed downhill fast, aren't likely to add an impact player from the draft in the next two years, and not likely to get an impact FA either. I can't even project the quality of prospects available in 2021, but that unprotected pick is likely to be very high.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OK, in YOUR proposal you used those picks but you're not the only one making trade scenarios for Doncic and some are suggesting other picks. You don't throw away all of the picks we own for a rookie who is positionless in the NBA at this point. He may be able to play PG in the NBA but he may not.

How many teams can develop 2 top players from a draft at the same time they're also developing the 3-4 other high lottery picks on the roster? I think Booker would be the only starter who could legally buy beer. That is a really young team you're putting on the floor every night. You want a first time head coach to handle that team also? Sounds like you're setting him up to fail, at the least you're making his job a whole lot harder. Not only is he supposed to develop those players but turn them into a cohesive team that starts winning right away. We'd need to see immediate improvement so the pick's of our that we send out aren't top lottery picks.

I don't think it's such a foolproof plan or great idea, I think you're throwing all of our eggs in one basket. If Doncic doesn't pan out then what? How do we recover then? What if Ayton busts? Where can they turn to then? Or maybe Booker is upset you gave away all of our assets for another rookie when he made it clear he wants to get us to the playoffs and that will be a hell of lot harder with him being the oldest rotation player on the team. That's crazy.
I never said foolproof. Every draft pick is a gamble. So are trades for veterans (uh, knight ring a bell?).

It’s also not all of our eggs in one basket. Essentially it’s trading an average-to-slightly above average player (Warren) and our pick next year for a shot at Doncic. If we hadn’t made other trades we wouldn’t have this year’s Miami pick or the Milwaukee pick. But we would still have this year’s 31, 2020 our first, 2021 our first and miami’s First. That’s still a LOT of firepower to use in trades or to pick someone else if Doncic or Ayton fail. But the opportunity to draft both of them?!? Cmon.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the 2021 Miami pick could be really good. They are headed downhill fast, aren't likely to add an impact player from the draft in the next two years, and not likely to get an impact FA either. I can't even project the quality of prospects available in 2021, but that unprotected pick is likely to be very high.
That’s why I’m not including it in any of my trade thoughts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#1 should only be on the table for the Greek Freak or Anthony Davis. Won't include Porzingis because of his current injury issues that could be pretty serious. Probably listen a KAT offer but wouldn't take it on the spot. Those guys are young enough that adding one in place of Ayton would only move the timeline up, like the Suns may want to do anyways, so they can try and make a playoff run right away. They're all 23 or under as well so they're close to Booker's age and have about a decade of quality play in them.
Its just amazing that the Suns have an asset like this.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this stage, you give up lots of assets to get that final piece of the puzzle. The trade is not so much about equal value as much as about the team you have when it is done.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It’s too easy to get enamored with all these kids. If the Suns are gonna trade the farm I want a proven commodity.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s too easy to get enamored with all these kids. If the Suns are gonna trade the farm I want a proven commodity.

Yeah but if we're trading picks mostly that's just a farm of chickens we're giving up. Plus this team is already young to begin with . Id like to consolidate some picks anyway.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yeah Porzingas is out of the question . I don't think he's capable of playing full seasons.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Word is that Bamba's wingspan was measured at 7-10 this morning. He is still growing. He could end up with an 8-0 wingspan in a year or so. I think one guarantee in this draft is that an all-nba defensive first team is in Bamba's future.
Bismack Biyambo and his 8 foot arms are waving at you from the end of a bench.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bismack Biyambo and his 8 foot arms are waving at you from the end of a bench.
Not even the same player. Bamba is a smart kid, an excellent defender both with his size and technique. His offense is also improving. He will be a very good player in this league.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trae Young isn't slipping passed Orlando, we've gotta deal with them or above them to get him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not even the same player. Bamba is a smart kid, an excellent defender both with his size and technique. His offense is also improving. He will be a very good player in this league.
You're judging waaaaay too much on stuff off the court. On the court he was extremely limited on offense and his defensive intensity waivers.

IMO he and JJJ are the two biggest risks of the top 8.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. If there was EVER a time I’d support his meddling, this would be it.
Yup. I believe Sarver has already decided Ayton is who he wants, and McD would have to come up with some significantly powerful arguments to overcome that decision. And before people get up in arms, this is how a lot of businesses go through the decision making process.