KC Star: Deal in Place to Trade Alex Smith to Washington

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards don't have the money to compete with other teams for Cousins. We will probably sign someone like Bradford and use our first round pick on a qb.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We paid Palmer 20+ million the past few years, and had him on the books until he retired. Why are people so shocked at the concept we might pay Cousins similar money?

He's not going to make franchise tag money every year.

I dont think anyone is against Cousins getting $20+mil a year... I think most are against paying him the $26mil a year that young franchise guys like Derek Carr just got or the $27mil a year that Stafford just got.
I think most would be fine with say... $22mil a year... but not $28mil a year....assuming of course they are fine with Kirk Cousins in general.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'll take Kirk for 4/88 which is still top-10 QB money. Anything more and it stunts the ability to improve other areas of the team going forward. If Denver nabs him Keim can't dick around and hope their guy falls to #15.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Watch Cards sign a caretaker Q B like Tom Savage who is still young enough to e around for a couple of years while the QBOF learns the ropes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Watch Cards sign a caretaker Q B like Tom Savage who is still young enough to e around for a couple of years while the QBOF learns the ropes.

If we sign Savage, I'm going to go burn down the Cathedral of Learning. Now, see if anyone can dissect THAT reference lol

And I would never do that, because they have such awesome international school rooms :)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Sign cousins draft Ridley. No QB in this draft will give you a better chance the next 5 years than cousins. I’m not risking the next 3 years of draft picks on a maybe. The other option of signing Bradford or Bridgewater makes me think bridge which makes me want to jump off one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account@JasonLaCanfora
With Alex Smith headed to the Skins, Kirk Cousins is is line for a $120M payday. Might be hard for anyone to out-maneuver the Jets for him
Over 5 yrs, this would be $24M. Im expecting Cousins to get closer to $27M, but 24 wouldn't be a terrible price.

I applaud fans who are willing to pass on Cousins and put all our eggs in the draft basket. I wake up in a cold sweat sometimes remembering the Kolb/Skelton/Hall/Bartel days. If you sign Cousins, you're like the Lions with Stafford: not good enough to carry a team deep into the playoffs without a talented supporting cast, and using up so much cap it's tough to get said supporting cast. However, at least you have an NFL caliber QB.

Maybe it's the Post-Skelton-Stress-Disorder in me, but I'd rather ride the Cousins train than some barf FA QB and a dart board QB in the draft when we're sitting at #15

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Reported Smith getting extension (4 years) averaging 23.5 million with 70 million guaranteed.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
If we sign Savage, I'm going to go burn down the Cathedral of Learning. Now, see if anyone can dissect THAT reference lol

And I would never do that, because they have such awesome international school rooms :)

No, don't do that. Cheer yourself up by heading down to Primanti's for your favorite sandwich and drown your sorrows in some Iron. Either that or a giant order of fries from the O.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Reported Smith getting extension (4 years) averaging 23.5 million with 70 million guaranteed.
probably required to get him to agree to the trade... that is a lot of guaranteed money

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sign cousins draft Ridley. No QB in this draft will give you a better chance the next 5 years than cousins. I’m not risking the next 3 years of draft picks on a maybe. The other option of signing Bradford or Bridgewater makes me think bridge which makes me want to jump off one.

Teach me how to predict the future.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
probably required to get him to agree to the trade... that is a lot of guaranteed money

I don’t think he had a choice in the trade but I think that Washington negotiated because they are done with Cousins. He will still be about 35-40 million cheaper than Cousins will be.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
but he kindly leaves out that you could sign cousins for huge money and he promptly gets his throwing shoulder destroyed in week one...then rides IR for three years in recovery...all the while counting 25 mil on the salary cap

life is so full of unknowns

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If you want to draft a QB your skills may be better than mine. I can at least make an educated guess on an NFL QB who has consistent stats.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. --George Santayana

List the successful QBs drafted after the 1st overall pick in 20 years and crunch the numbers. I honestly don't think we'll get Cousins, but three straight years of what Cousins has done has more relevance than what most 1st round QBs outside of the #1 overall pick have done.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Heck I didn't even know they could conduct trades between the trading deadline and the end of the season. I agree with Rugby, AS didn't have a choice on the trade, but it was insurance for Washington that he'll be there for a few years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don’t think he had a choice in the trade but I think that Washington negotiated because they are done with Cousins. He will still be about 35-40 million cheaper than Cousins will be.

he had a choice in that he has had a long career already...and could just retire rather than go play for the deadskins. That is probably his last NFL contract... to get $17.5mil a year guaranteed is huge considering most older QB's are starting to take smaller deals in general.

Derek Carrs 125 mil over five years only had $40mil guaranteed at signing...of course... Stafford got $92mil guaranteed on his five year deal

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Some of you people want a franchise QB for under 20mil. That’s asinine. Someone please give me the plan without signing cousins that puts us back in the position we were in 2 years ago.

The legitimate only answer to this is drafting number one overall or getting really blessedly lucky on a guy, but people refuse to see it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson