Amos Jones will NOT be fired this season

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon, you guys don't think Arians let Jones know that this is unacceptable? Just because BA didn't call him out in the media doesn't mean he hasn't addressed it with Jones behind closed doors.

It's a coaching fraternity. BA will call out players but won't coaches. Most coaches are like that. I'm sure BA has him on notice.
Yep... everyone in the world now knows that Amos Jones has failed at his job. Calling him out in public might be the kind of thing an emotional fan would want, but doesn't seem like a great way to attract a quality replacement coach for when the ax inevitably falls.

...dbs

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
And we haven't figured out Amos isn't a good fit . . . for any special teams coaching position? We have figured it out IN SPADES. Results don't lie. He SUCKS and BA and Keim continue to lose credibility in my eyes by continuing to have him on the payroll. If I did my job as badly as he does I'd have been canned years ago and my company would've be sued, despite everyone liking me. I guess BA REALLY likes Amos, because he's damaging his own reputation by hanging onto the guy.
I'm not defending Jones one bit. I agree the ST's have been horrible and very non-aggressive. They don't block kicks, don't return kicks and are usually outplayed. They are, or seem to be, fairly good at kick and punt coverage but still are prone to giving up the big return at crucial times.

But coaches are likely going to blame player execution. I think Jones is bad but I also think Arians has addressed it with him. Their 3 losses all had big ST plays against them, the 2 missed FG's and, I'm going by memory, didn't Austin have a big punt return late in the Rams game?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I'm not defending Jones one bit. I agree the ST's have been horrible and very non-aggressive. They don't block kicks, don't return kicks and are usually outplayed. They are, or seem to be, fairly good at kick and punt coverage but still are prone to giving up the big return at crucial times.

But coaches are likely going to blame player execution. I think Jones is bad but I also think Arians has addressed it with him. Their 3 losses all had big ST plays against them, the 2 missed FG's and, I'm going by memory, didn't Austin have a big punt return late in the Rams game?
Yep, set up game winner...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup. It put them in position to take the lead late in the game

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this season has been super rough so far.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This isn't a one game brushoff problem. We've had the worst ST's in the league for three years running.
This, after coming off a year or two before that where ours were among the best.

Spotty field goal production in crunch time....
Just plain bad punting....
No blocked kicks from our side, but
Plenty of blocked kicks against us.
Plus, no return game ever, yet often long returns against us.

The entirety of the ST's are godawful.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah numbers are good and all, but having the balls to hit them under pressure is crucial. Can't do that, you're next to useless to a team with winning aspirations. So far cat is looking like he's got the yips when it counts. I don't care if can make it 999,999 times outta 1,000,000 of the one his misses is the one needed to win a game.

Yep. A hundred 'atta boys' get wiped out with one 'aw crap.'

OP
OP
eastcoastSUN

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You know it's bad when even Richard Sherman agrees with my points:

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman fired back at Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Wednesday, shooting down Arians' contention that leaping over the line to block field goals is bad for football.

"It's bad for his team," Sherman said. "If he means bad for his team is bad for football, then I can see that. But they have a predictable cadence, and it'll happen to them again if they keep doing it the same way."

Full article: http://es.pn/2eNp7DN

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't see how firing Amos solves our problems at this stage. Ya'll act like special teams are simple, but it's no different than asking for a change at defensive coordinator. It's a major change. That's not something you do as a professional organization.

You can reassess at the end of the year and figure out where it went wrong and why. Then you fire, if necessary.

Only chump organizations fire mid-season. There's a lot to learn from failure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't see how firing Amos solves our problems at this stage. Ya'll act like special teams are simple, but it's no different than asking for a change at defensive coordinator. It's a major change. That's not something you do as a professional organization.

You can reassess at the end of the year and figure out where it went wrong and why. Then you fire, if necessary.

Only chump organizations fire mid-season. There's a lot to learn from failure.

So you're advocating keeping special teams "as-is." I think you're special.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
They are stupid to keep him for the rest of the season. Methinks a highschool ST coach could step in and do a better job.