Arizona Coyotes, Arizona State Sun Devils 'likely' to agree on joint arena in Tempe

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona Coyotes, Arizona State Sun Devils 'likely' to agree on joint arena in Tempe

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-...-devils-likely-to-create-joint-arena-in-tempe

The Arizona Coyotes are looking to build a new arena outside of Glendale.

The Arizona State Sun Devils hockey team, who made the jump to the NCAA D-I ranks this season, want to play in a larger venue.

The solution just might be a joint Coyotes-Sun Devils arena in Tempe -- and an ESPN report says that arrangement may soon come into place.

On Saturday, ESPN's Scott Burnside reported the Coyotes "are expecting plans for a new permanent home in the state to be finalized by the end of the regular season that will resolve the lease/arena issues that have plagued the team for years."

"Although there are still a number of options being discussed, it's believed the most likely scenario is a partnership with Arizona State University with a new arena being built in Tempe," Burnside added.

:yotes: :sparky:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
ASU is doing some really creative things!

This sounds like a great solution for everyone (except Glendale, but they only have themselves to blame).

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tempe? Where would they have room? I can't really think of an open area for a arena that size.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Tempe? Where would they have room? I can't really think of an open area for a arena that size.

I've read that ASU sent out a request for proposals just last month to revamp the whole district to include a new arena.

But I don't think it necessarily would have to be on/next to campus because of the baseball model. If it's linked to light rail, they could put it in a lot of different places, but campus property might be cheaper.

Pretty exciting. Maybe they can have a retractable roof!

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are looking to put it where the Karsten golf course is since both golf teams are moving to Papago GC after renovations are done.

Makes sense. ASU has been trying to do something with Karsten since I was there in 2000. Doesn't make enough money and its prime time land. I would love to see the arena there. I would be a mini package season ticket holder to both!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson