Monday Musings

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
A little nostalgia for those of you who've been on the site a long time. I started a column of that name back when we were part of Rivals. Yes, I had it first before that other guy started using it. Anyway, here's what it would have looked like after yesterday.

I think Palmer is a very, very good QB. However, he's not elite and not as good as Warner.

DJ looked like a rookie, but at least a rookie with great promise.

Trying to run wide is a bad tactic against the Rams. I know Iupati was just coming back from injury, but I expected the Cards should be able to run to that side a little for that kind of money.

At least the Cards didn't lose any QBs!

CJ was another fine Keim pickup.

This game reminded me of the last few games last season when the run defense was porous. Most of it is lack of discipline with people not staying home.

Special teams aren't very special when the kicker has to make two tackles.

Now that 8-0 is gone will I have to listen to 7-1?

I can see why they desparately took an OT in round 1.

Cards lack of an impact rusher really hurt.

I can see why Gresham was available.

Much of the Rams win came from physical intimidation.

The goal line offense and play calling was questionable at best.

BA wasn't aggressive enough, which is really odd.

I wrote earlier a team always loses a game it should win. Hopefully this was it. Forget it and move on, but the margin for error has narrowed.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carson not seeing Fitz open underneath on 4th & Game will bother me for the week. Ugh.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
A speck of dust would've been more impactful than garbage Humphries. Can't value be we didn't go pass rush.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dupree or Ray would have been our pick, but they got taken in the two spots right before us. We weren't going to give away multiple picks to trade up in the first round.

The Steelers have cleaned out our OLB picks the last few years right before us, taking Ray, Shazier, Jarvis Jones, etc.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Carson not seeing Fitz open underneath on 4th & Game will bother me for the week. Ugh.

Fitz should have be the primary option on several occasions. Especially in critical game situations. There was a goal line play they showed a replay where Fitz was wide open, undefended. Palmer didn't have time to get to his 2nd/3rd reads but Fitz should have been 1st. It almost seemed like they tried to use Fitz more as a decoy this game, thinking the Rams would focus on him because of his hot start. It seemed like overthinking.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Needed to clear up something. The guy who took Monday Musings was a national columnist, not someone on this board.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that more than one poster mentioned physical intimidation as a reason for the loss. None of the Card's players nor the team itself have been labeled as soft. I was at the game and it didn't seem like that was happening.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised that more than one poster mentioned physical intimidation as a reason for the loss. None of the Card's players nor the team itself have been labeled as soft. I was at the game and it didn't seem like that was happening.

I wasn't at the game but never felt we were over matched physically we played bad the rams are what they are bad offense good defense we just gave there avg offense way to many chances

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Dupree or Ray would have been our pick, but they got taken in the two spots right before us. We weren't going to give away multiple picks to trade up in the first round.

The Steelers have cleaned out our OLB picks the last few years right before us, taking Ray, Shazier, Jarvis Jones, etc.

+1 bu-zillion.

Flippin Pittsburgh has been KILLING US in our drafts.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

+1.

I thought both teams didn't give an inch, which made the game really entertaining, IMO.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And also on 3rd down. I was at the game and saw Fitz standing right at the 1st down marker and thought for sure it was going to him. Then when Palmer threw it, I thought he over threw him but obviously he threw it to J Brown. Fitz didn't have a single defender within 5 yards of him and then seeing him put his hands on his head knowing he was WIDE open. Sucks to know that if that pass goes to Fitz there, we win that game. It was as simple as at

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And also on 3rd down. I was at the game and saw Fitz standing right at the 1st down marker and thought for sure it was going to him. Then when Palmer threw it, I thought he over threw him but obviously he threw it to J Brown. Fitz didn't have a single defender within 5 yards of him and then seeing him put his hands on his head knowing he was WIDE open. Sucks to know that if that pass goes to Fitz there, we win that game. It was as simple as at

The guy who was clearly open on 3rd down was Johnson in the flat to the right.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1 bu-zillion.

Flippin Pittsburgh has been KILLING US in our drafts.

Pit took Dupree, Denver took Ray. Dupree has 1 sack and 3 tackles more than Golden who we drafted in the 2nd round. For that extra 1 sack would you be willing to have traded the pick that we got David Johnson with in order to move up?

Shazier is an ILB, not an OLB. He's talented but has been injured in each of his 2 years so far.

Jones is a bust and just plain sucks.