How badly Lindley stunk scientifically.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a horrible excuse for a QB. In fact, I blame Arians as much as I do for Lindley having him start that game.

While I wanted to drink myself silly in Bank of America stadium, I saw the backup Derek Anderson on the Carolina bench and wondered if we would have won with him instead.

Seriously. Hoping for Derek Anderson is what I was reduced to watching that game. Sigh.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
What a horrible excuse for a QB. In fact, I blame Arians as much as I do for Lindley having him start that game.

While I wanted to drink myself silly in Bank of America stadium, I saw the backup Derek Anderson on the Carolina bench and wondered if we would have won with him instead.

Seriously. Hoping for Derek Anderson is what I was reduced to watching that game. Sigh.

Pretty alarming that an offensive genius like Arians whiffed on Lindley. Reminds me of Whiz's QB judgement which really scares me. Still not convinced that Arians was not allowed to put down real money and sign a vet FA.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im still waiting for anyone to effectively counter Arians' reasoning that because Lindley, having spent a year in his system was a better choice than anyone else. No one can. Its a judgement call. Ill take BA's over any of us, all day, every day.

Hell, what other QB out there would have done better in the final three weeks, against our schedule, and then into the playoffs with no knowledge of the offense? It was a HUGE risk on BA's part to hitch his saddle to Lindley, but its completely understandable.

What worries me, is after seeing Lindley, BA STILL had no desire to put LT on the field. That speaks volumes.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Im still waiting for anyone to effectively counter Arians' reasoning that because Lindley, having spent a year in his system was a better choice than anyone else. No one can. Its a judgement call. Ill take BA's over any of us, all day, every day.

Hell, what other QB out there would have done better in the final three weeks, against our schedule, and then into the playoffs with no knowledge of the offense? It was a HUGE risk on BA's part to hitch his saddle to Lindley, but its completely understandable.

What worries me, is after seeing Lindley, BA STILL had no desire to put LT on the field. That speaks volumes.

Peyton Manning, Arron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre. You buy into the system. I believe in the natural play making ability of the QB. Systems dont win. QBs do. Ohio ST went through 3 QBs and are in national championship game. If I thought like you I would have not even watched those final three games then. It was impossible to pick a QB less productive than Lindley. If what you say is true then the Cardinals should have just forfeitted the games. This is football. This isnt neurosurgery or flying an airplane. If his system is so complex then it needs to be simplified to take account of the possibility of injury and because it was not the most productive offense. Offenses simply their game plan all the time to take into account a new QB. If Arians cant do that he is not an offensive genius. The system is not more important than winning the game.

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Peyton Manning, Arron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre. You buy into the system. I believe in the natural play making ability of the QB. Systems dont win. QBs do. Ohio ST went through 3 QBs and are in national championship game. If I thought like you I would have not even watched those final three games then. It was impossible to pick a QB less productive than Lindley. If what you say is true then the Cardinals should have just forfeitted the games. This is football. This isnt neurosurgery or flying an airplane. If his system is so complex then it needs to be simplified to take account of the possibility of injury and because it was not the most productive offense. Offenses simply their game plan all the time to take into account a new QB. If Arians cant do that he is not an offensive genius. The system is not more important than winning the game.

Well said. I don't have an opinion about it myself. But, well said anyway.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
It was predictable that Carolina would stack the line of scrimmage to prevent the Cardinals from running and force a very shaky Lindley to pass. BA should have know that. Would we have done worse if the Cardinals would have worked with LT the week before the game and have him roll out? He could have passed to a receiver in front of him or run. How much worse could it have been?

Reaction score

I highly doubt any of them would pick up a new system in a weeks time.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Comparing OSU using a 3rd stringer to the Cards is apples and oranges.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I wonder when all the Lindley bashing will end. What did you all expect from a fourth string quarterback yanked off of another team's practice squad and expected to start for a team with no running game and decimated by injuries? For the love of God, give it a rest! If you want to bash somebody, bash BASK for bringing him back believing he could be coached up becuase he knows the system.

Last edited:

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder when all the Lindley bashing will end. What did you all expect from a fourth string quarterback yanked off of another team's practice squad and expected to start for a team with no running game and decimated by injuries? For the love of God, give it a rest! If you want to bash somebody, bash BASK for bringing him back believing he could be coached up becuase he knows the system.

I guess you didnt read the thread I started where I blasted Bidwill. In regards to Lindley a Dirty Harry line comes to mind. "A man has got to know his limitations". Lindley should have just said no. I hope he retires and gets into coaching before he gets hurt.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I highly doubt any of them would pick up a new system in a weeks time.

We are talking about football. We are not talking about a manned mission to Mars. Tebow who is an awful QB led Denver to a playoff win against Pittsburgh. We are not talking about a week anyway. The Big Red had 10 days off after Stanton was hurt and then two games before the playoffs. They had nearly a month to get a QB ready.

Last edited:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This is all well and good, and I tend to agree with a lot of it, but it doesnt speak to the issue at hand. Who was better than Lindley, that was available? Im not disagreeing with you, IM saying BA being who he is, who else was there?

Football kind of IS neurosurgery. Sandlot QBs don't win championships, either. Russell Wilson plays within his system, one that allows for his athletic abilities. Kaepernick doesnt seem to at times. He's freelancing and gets killed when he needs to put it down the field. Its all relative. I would tend to agree with you overall, but Im speaking specifically to our current situation. You can't have it all, and If BA comes with an intense system, one that has given us a 21-11 record over the past 2 regular seasons, Ill go with that and accept the inherent risks of needing a well prepared QB, and play the odds that most of the time, you'd never end up in the situation we did anyhow.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I guess you didnt read the thread I started where I blasted Bidwill. In regards to Lindley a Dirty Harry line comes to mind. "A man has got to know his limitations". Lindley should have just said no. I hope he retires and gets into coaching before he gets hurt.

Lol. Let me know the next time you turn down the opportunity to fufill your liftetime dream.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lindley lovers where u at?
Even his family disowned him as a QB

Pathetic

OK, I'll bite. I'm no Lindley lover but I've yet to see anyone, given the timetable, say who they could have brought in once it became apparent that Stanton wouldn't be ready for the playoffs, that could have been a viable option. Truth is, no one can. This isn't Madden where you can plug in any QB and have 300 yard games consistently just by slinging the ball. Lindley was here last season and all of pre-season, knew the system, and could go onto the field in short order. But all of you armchair GM/coaches keep believing you know more than Arians.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is all well and good, and I tend to agree with a lot of it, but it doesnt speak to the issue at hand. Who was better than Lindley, that was available? Im not disagreeing with you, IM saying BA being who he is, who else was there?

If BA would have brought in any of the QB's who were available at training camp, this board would explode. Can you imagine if they brought in a Rex Grossman or a David Gerrard? This board would be completely apoplectic with rage. There's a reason why stiffs like Luke McCown, Curtis Painter, and Charlie Whitehurst were taken and given jobs over those still available. Because the Grossman's of the world are worse.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lindley lovers where u at?
Even his family disowned him as a QB

Pathetic
Seriously, get over it already. He still did better than you or anyone else who was ripping him given the situation.

Why not aim that frustration towards Arians for have a plain vanilla game plan. He never did anything to try to spark the offense.. A reverse, flea-flicker, wildcat with LT.. Zilch.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. I'm no Lindley lover but I've yet to see anyone, given the timetable, say who they could have brought in once it became apparent that Stanton wouldn't be ready for the playoffs, that could have been a viable option. Truth is, no one can. This isn't Madden where you can plug in any QB and have 300 yard games consistently just by slinging the ball. Lindley was here last season and all of pre-season, knew the system, and could go onto the field in short order. But all of you armchair GM/coaches keep believing you know more than Arians.

Logan Thomas.

Done and done. There is no way that he would have done statistically worse than Lindley. At least when his arm isn't working, he can tuck it and run a la Cam Newton. Cam was having a horrible day passing until he picked up a few confidence boosting runs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That's the nonsense right there. Give me a break. The Cards signed Lindley Nov. 11. The Cards would've had nearly 2 months to get anyone familiar with Arians system into the playbook.

My preferred candidate was Byron Leftwich. Give a veteran quarterback 2 months and they'll be able to deliver play somewhat approximating what a professional quarterback would produce--which is a quantum leap above what Lindley spewed out onto the football field.

Kyle Orton was signed by Buffalo on August 29, was named the starter on September 29, and completed nearly 75% of his passes with a TD and INT a week later in a game against the Detroit Lions.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Interesting interview with BA on Monday. He said that LT may have done more to win the game but at this stage in his career there was more potential for LT to lose the game early as well.

BA thought Lindley was a safer bet to keep them in the game longer and prior to the no PI on Floyd, shanked punt, missed tackles on the screen pass, and then the KO return fumble in one 4 minute span that is right where they were.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Who was better than Lindley, that was available?

It was slim pickens but maybe QB Rex Grossman (who has playoff/ Superbowl experience) or QB Charlie Batch (an Arians system veteran).

With either we probably win last Saturday. But I don't blame the Cardinals because they bet on Stanton being back and that didnt happen. I'm sure if same situation happened again next year they would handle it different. This Superbowl window has 1-2 years left on it.

Very Excited about 2015 season!
Tim

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting interview with BA on Monday. He said that LT may have done more to win the game but at this stage in his career there was more potential for LT to lose the game early as well.

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I consider his insistence on using Lindley is first major coaching blunder in AZ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson