Kolb cut

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny I never saw the uptick in holding calls once the refs came back.

You are free to believe what you want, but my logic doesn't stretch that thin.

Because they stopped holding, and presto, sacks.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I even predicted as soon as the real refs came back we'd either see a record number of holding calls, or lots of sacks, it was the latter.

I clearly remember you saying that. I also heard it a week or so later on the radio by Cowheard I think.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I clearly remember you saying that. I also heard it a week or so later on the radio by Cowheard I think.

I remember watching the Pats game and thinking this is amazing. Chandler Jones on every pass play was screaming for a hold. usually I just assume the guy is a whiner so I started really watching and he was right, Batiste was at times literally tackling him. He had clearly figured out they don't want to call holding.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From Sando's blog:

Arizona paid $20,504,650 to Kolb for two seasons in which the quarterback ranked 33rd out of 38 qualifying players in Total QBR. The team posted a 6-8 record in games Kolb started, compared to 6-7 in games John Skelton started.

Also over that two-year span, Kolb took sacks on 11.6 percent of drop-backs, highest in the NFL for the 35 players with at least 400 pass attempts during that time. Six percent was the NFL average.

Ugh.....

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
By me especially? I'd love to know where you're getting that.

And yes, our offensive line is perfectly structured. I don't know how you can improve on it.

Blaming the o-line for Kolb's "performance" is equivalent to the cavalcade of excuses trotted out for Leinart.

Did the o-line suck balls for the majority of the year? Hell yes. Did their performance dramatically improve with Kolb out of the lineup? I think the answer to that is yes as well.

Even despite improvements, I'd still consider adding a tackle (although between Levi/Massie/Potter I think we're ok), and we desperately need two new guards. I'd even replace Sendlein if the price is right. I believe if we kept our tackles, picked up Warmack or Cooper (or even a decent 2nd round guard) that we'd have an average o-line. Brown Warmack Sendlein Colledge (yuck) Massie should be ok.

Look, you can pick and choose to blame any number of factors for his failure, but the bottom line is that he wasn't even an average QB when he was healthy, and we got taken to the cleaners by Reed.

Time to move on, good riddance.

The line is "perfectly structured," yet you'd still "consider adding a tackle" and you think we "desperately need" two guards, and you'd "consider replacing Sendlein?" :?: In other words, the line is perfect as long as we change 80% of it.

Sorry if it seems as if I'm singling you out, but the conformist attitude amongst the Anti-Kolb crowd is quite interesting to read and analyze. When it comes to the offense, there were tons of weaknesses across the board, with the exception of WR. But once Kolb's name emerges into the conversation, evidently he's solely responsible nfor the demise of the offense, and then everyone else is absolved of all responsibility.

IMO, it's a combination of factors. Poor play calling, missed blocking assignments, no run game, no efficient pass game, etc. I don't excuse the performance by Kolb (and I've stated ad nauseum that he needs to improve on his 2.59 second release time and be less prone to injury), but he was the only semblance of a quarterback we had all season. It's no coincidence that when the protection broke down, so did the overall production of the offense. And it took two games post-Kolb for the protection to improve (7 sacks by MIN, 4 sacks by SF). Jurecki made mention of this last week that Russ Grimm finally made wholesale changes to the protection scheme and replaced Batiste with Potter and elected to give weak side help.

Skelton and Lindley are playing with house money by still being on the roster, at this current moment. Together, they set QB play back five years.

I agree with you in that it's time to move on, but it's hard to do so when Drew Stanton is the seemingly anointed savior to our QB woes. And regardless of who is playing behind center, the offensive line is still a joke.

Lather, rinse, repeat....

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good riddance. An awful acquisition, worst in Az Cards history. Andy Reid is quite the salesman... "All my QB will cost you boys is DRC, a 2nd round pick... and eventually your jobs."

The fall out from Kolb's complete failure cost us 3 seasons (yes, I am counting next year already) and a super-bowl caliber defense went to waste and now to pieces. Heads rolled... and they deserved to.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The line is "perfectly structured," yet you'd still "consider adding a tackle" and you think we "desperately need" two guards, and you'd "consider replacing Sendlein?" :?: In other words, the line is perfect as long as we change 80% of it.

Sorry if it seems as if I'm singling you out, but the conformist attitude amongst the Anti-Kolb crowd is quite interesting to read and analyze. When it comes to the offense, there were tons of weaknesses across the board, with the exception of WR. But once Kolb's name emerges into the conversation, evidently he's solely responsible not only for the demise of the offense, and everyone else is absolved of all responsibility.

IMO, it's a combination of factors. Poor play calling, missed blocking assignments, no run game, no efficient pass game, etc. I don't excuse the performance by Kolb (and I've stated ad nauseum that he needs to improve on his 2.59 second release time and be less prone to injury), but he was the only semblance of a quarterback we had all season. It's no coincidence that when the protection broke down, so did the overall production of the offense. And it took two games post-Kolb for the protection to improve (7 sacks by MIN, 4 sacks by SF). Jurecki made mention of this last week that Russ Grimm finally made wholesale changes to the protection scheme and replaced Batiste with Potter and elected to give weak side help.

Skelton and Lindley are playing with house money by still being on the roster, at this current moment. Together, they set QB play back five years.

I agree with you in that it's time to move on, but it's hard to do so when Drew Stanton is the seemingly anointed savior to our QB woes. And regardless of who is playing behind center, the offensive line is still a joke.

Drew Stanton "anointed savior"? He was signed to a back-up contract. How does that at all make him our "seemingly anointed savior"?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Drew Stanton "anointed savior"? He was signed to a back-up contract. How does that at all make him our "seemingly anointed savior"?

You didn't catch my sarcasm there? Let me try again.

:sarcasm:

I base it off Arians' comments, who sells him to us as someone who can be productive in his offense.

I don't buy it, and think if Hoyer isn't signed away, there will be a 3-way competition for the job: Stanton, Hoyer, and Rookie X

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Good riddance. An awful acquisition, worst in Az Cards history. Andy Reid is quite the salesman... "All my QB will cost you boys is DRC, a 2nd round pick... and eventually your jobs."

The fall out from Kolb's complete failure cost us 3 seasons (yes, I am counting next year already) and a super-bowl caliber defense went to waste and now to pieces. Heads rolled... and they deserved to.

No, Duane Starks was the worst pickup by the Cardinals. We payed a ton for a guy who made Kolb look like a iron man.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

Sorry if it seems as if I'm singling you out, but the conformist attitude amongst the Anti-Kolb crowd is quite interesting to read and analyze. When it comes to the offense, there were tons of weaknesses across the board, with the exception of WR. But once Kolb's name emerges into the conversation, evidently he's solely responsible nfor the demise of the offense, and then everyone else is absolved of all responsibility.

TJ, you make a lot of sense with this post. Personally, I am happy that the team has apparently not closed the door to Kolb returning after June 1st if he is not signed. There is a slight possibility, that could see us getting by with Kolb, Stanton, and Hoyer as our QB's for 2013.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, Duane Starks was the worst pickup by the Cardinals. We payed a ton for a guy who made Kolb look like a iron man.

I havnt seen the final tally but what will we have paid Kolb... something like 2 million per start? 6 million per win? IMO, the complete whiffing on a QB, who was hyped and paid as a franchise player... and turned out to be an injury prone backup quality player, its going to be hard to match, especially with fallout on the rest of the franchise factored in.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I havnt seen the final tally but what will we have paid Kolb... something like 2 million per start? 6 million per win? IMO, the complete whiffing on a QB, who was hyped and paid as a franchise player... and turned out to be an injury prone backup quality player, its going to be hard to match, especially with fallout on the rest of the franchise factored in.

$20.5M

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Holy Jesus....

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
Kevin Kolb cut. Made $10M bonus from Phi in 2010; $10M bonus from AZ in 2011; $7M bonus from AZ in 2012. Made $32M in past 3 yrs.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Hard to beat $20 million, DRC, 2nd Round draft pick, HC & GM jobs as a price for Kolb.

An epic disaster for Arizona. First we have a top 10 draft pick fail to come through in 2010 and follow that up with Kolb. :bang:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hard to beat $20 million, DRC, 2nd Round draft pick, HC & GM jobs as a price for Kolb.

An epic disaster for Arizona. First we have a top 10 draft pick fail to come through in 2010 and follow that up with Kolb. :bang:

Who?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
OK, thought he was referring to someone drafted in 2010. Which wouldn't have made any sense.

No kidding. 2010 is maybe the best draft the Cards have had since 2004.

Do we really have more players on the team from the 2004 draft than from the 2009 draft?

Tough to build through the draft when you only keep one player a year from each one.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
well played Dr. Jones.

Took me 3 tries through that thread to get it. Then I absolutely cracked up. How long did you save that pictures waiting for the opportunity to use it?
Again, thanks for the laugh.:lol:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Took me 3 tries through that thread to get it. Then I absolutely cracked up. How long did you save that pictures waiting for the opportunity to use it?
Again, thanks for the laugh.:lol:

Those were just pictures from googling his name this morning. Could've used even more if I wanted to.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson