CBS Projecting Murray Trade

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These are your NFL passing leaders right now:

Tua: Picked 5
Purdy: 7th round
Goff: #1 overall (traded from his first team)
Mahomes: #10
Dak: Round 4
Josh Allen: #7
Lawrence #1
Stafford #1
Hurts 2nd round
CJ Stroud #2

So of the top 10 passers, 50% were not taken in the top 5. Two of those top 5 guys are on their second teams.

As you go down that list, that just continues.
You just totally changed your argument. You said a QB could be had in a later round or FA. You actually said fourth round.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said later round vs. top 3. Tell me how that makes sense. You really believe the chances are close to the same?

No I said later picks. If Murray sucks in two years then you are picking top 10. Plenty of top players taken there.

Also, about 30% of the NFL's top passers right now were after round 1.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not though. You invest in the team around him for the next two drafts and if it doesn't work then you have a great team to build around for a different QB.

Brock Purdy is great because the team around him is great.

This is what I said

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just totally changed your argument. You said a QB could be had in a later round or FA. You actually said fourth round.

I literally have never named a round outside of mistakenly saying Hurts was a third rounder. I immediately agreed he was a 2nd but the point was unchanged.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the top 12 NFL passing leaders, just 4 were drafted #1 overall all and 3 of them are on different teams.

Only 1 was drafted #2 overall

This is despite every draft being QB front loaded.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I said later picks. If Murray sucks in two years then you are picking top 10. Plenty of top players taken there.

If Murray sucks in TWO… MORE YEARS?! You’re going to give him FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS OF SUCKING before actually moving on?

Only a fan of a team who’s been beaten into complete submission by ownership have expectations that laughably low.

If Murray sucks… AGAIN… NEXT YEAR, why in the hell would we keep trotting out the most important player on the team… who has sucked for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS?!?

You must be registered for see images attach

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the top 12 NFL passing leaders, just 4 were drafted #1 overall all and 3 of them are on different teams.

But, look at the relationship in the other direction. Of all top 5 QBs drafted in the last x years, what percentage were successful? What's the percentage of successful 1st rounders? And day 2 picks?

Pretty sure the odds of finding a franchise QB decrease the farther back in the draft you pick.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You said later picks. Gave Purdy and Hurts as examples. You are correct DVontel said fourth round not you. Now it is top 10 if Murray sucks after two years. Or hope to get someone good in a later round. So back to my original point. After two years we start over with a new QB. Not good for the team or this management team.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Murray sucks in TWO… MORE YEARS?! You’re going to give him FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS OF SUCKING before actually moving on?

Only a fan of a team who’s been beaten into complete submission by ownership have expectations that laughably low.

If Murray sucks… AGAIN… NEXT YEAR, why in the hell would we keep trotting out the most important player on the team… who has sucked for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS?!?

You must be registered for see images attach

This roster is one of the worst in the NFL.

This is the reality of the contract:

Cut / trade next year: 81.5 million cap hit. Like -30 million penalty

2025: 33 million cap it. 17 million savings

2026: 20 million cap it 30 million savings

It's not a vacuum. Each move has dramatic impact on the current team.

There is zero chance they eat a 81.5 million dollar cap hit. Zero unless they are blown away by compensation. That's why it is a 1st round minimum.

So we are absolutely talking 1-2 years. Murray is the QB next year

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The only logical point considering many factors Is building a better roster and giving Murray a chance, for a couple of years he showed he can be a very good qb
A couple of years? How many winning seasons did he author? How many good second half’s of seasons did he have? How many more seasons do you give him to prove to you he 100% does not have it?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But, look at the relationship in the other direction. Of all top 5 QBs drafted in the last x years, what percentage were successful? What's the percentage of successful 1st rounders? And day 2 picks?

Pretty sure the odds of finding a franchise QB decrease the farther back in the draft you pick.
While this is true, PJ said it’s lucky to hit on later round picks while not having that same feeling for a top 3 pick even though it’s luck for that as well. Chris laid out all of the QBs best stats this season with 2 out of the 4 on different teams & 1 of them is starting to become questioned(Lawrence).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How someone lists all those guys and doesn’t see that the greatest similarity between the ten guys is that 5 of the 10 were top 3 guys… and then you had outliers in 4 different rounds… is so perplexing to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This roster is one of the worst in the NFL.

This is the reality of the contract:

Cut / trade next year: 81.5 million cap hit. Like -30 million penalty

2025: 33 million cap it. 17 million savings

2026: 20 million cap it 30 million savings

It's not a vacuum. Each move has dramatic impact on the current team.

There is zero chance they eat a 81.5 million dollar cap hit. Zero unless they are blown away by compensation. That's why it is a 1st round minimum.

So we are absolutely talking 1-2 years. Murray is the QB next year
Lol… we have a bad QB with a TERRIBLE contract, so someone MUST give us a 1st round pick or we won’t move it for less. That’s your argument.

Chris… are you actually reading back your own arguments? They are unusually nonsensical.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
These are your NFL passing leaders right now:

Tua: Picked 5
Purdy: 7th round
Goff: #1 overall (traded from his first team)
Mahomes: #10
Dak: Round 4
Josh Allen: #7
Lawrence #1
Stafford #1
Hurts 2nd round
CJ Stroud #2

So of the top 10 passers, 50% were not taken in the top 5. Two of those top 5 guys are on their second teams.

As you go down that list, that just continues.
7 of 10 drafted in the top 10. Kinda blows your argument that you can get them later outta the water. 70% is a gargantuan percentage for finding something as critical as a QB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

5 of 12 coming from 2 slots. Verses hundreds of slots. One of those selection processes involves a haystack. I’ll let you guess which.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if the Cardinals can trade Murray for assets and get rid of his salary that is the way to go. His salary is a burden.

However, I'd like for them to prioritize building the rest of the team in the draft.

Now, if they can trade down a bit and still get a quarterback, I don't know.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Long story short, trade back a spot & possibly two & still acquire MHJ.
The whole trading back one spot thing didn't happen in 2023 and I don't see it happening in 2024 - at least not with us - sitting at pick #2 or #3

If we trade back it'll likely be multiple spots and MHJ will likely be long gone