TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This is how much Kyler has made in 1 less year vs Baker

You must be registered for see images attach

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is not the first time there have been articles about Murray going to the Vikings. This rumor has been swirling around for months now. I think K9 is right about the draft comp. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing this trade happen.
Then Murray can throw to Fitzgerald... wait, that trade never happened either and Fitz is retired, my bad lol

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My crystal ball is a bit cloudy but I see the mock drafts and fantasy trades in the 2026 off season contemplating the Vikings trading for Kyler Murray and the Cardinals having a ton of cap space, etc., etc.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol this thread has turned into nothing but 4-5 people ****!ng on kyler. Let’s see him at least have a competent roster as any decent QB has had before making all these wild statements with the worst roster in the league - by far. Let’s see him have an off-season of not rehabbing and learning a pro style offense before bringing out the pitch forks lol. The expectations for a situation that I don’t believe ANY active QB in the league would be thriving in OR even improving are just absurd.

Cut him, trade him, do whatever if he is sucking at this point this season…. But let’s give the guy a fighting chance first.

'next' ;)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My thought process is:
1) We can trade Kyler for something more than Goff
2) Goff has benefited from 2 genius OC's - we don't have that IMO

That is why I was asking for the DVOA chart.

Other than QB's on their first contracts, there has to be some veterans like Baker and Gardner.

Baker has made just a bit more in his entire career as Murray is averaging per year on his new contract.

You must be registered for see images attach
I mean just talent-for-talent, everything else being equal. Goff is a free agent in 2025 and could get a big extension next year.

I don't expect Baker Mayfield to be available this offseason -- either because he's extended by the Bucs or because he's given the franchise tag.

I think that Kyler has a higher ceiling than Minshew. I don't think that Minshew + 2025 cap space gets us anywhere closer than Kyler on his current deal. Their stats this season are nearly identical (wild), and Minshew has a better supporting cast across the board.

I'm not obsessed with Kyler's contract; I don't anticipate it's going to prevent us from signing anyone we want or extending someone we'd like to keep. It's not my money.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just interesting.

Do you think Kyler is better than Baker right now?

Would you rather have Kyler at $45M or Baker at $25-30M?
Neither. I'd probably rather play Tune for peanuts and draft his replacement.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Just interesting.

Do you think Kyler is better than Baker right now?

Would you rather have Kyler at $45M or Baker at $25-30M?
I'm not sure why "right now" matters here. Was Kyler better than Baker in the summer of 2022? Obviously.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
As to using the word “projecting” again I’ll turn to a Merriam-Webster definition, “ a transforming change.” I simply thought it would spur an interesting conversation. Those who present the concern of a sixth year QB changing, make an excellent and concerning point. Perhaps Carson Palmer might be an example for some. However, my point is there’s another part of Murray’s tale that makes a potential difference. He spent all those early years with a coach who really made little effort to help Murray adjust his game to the NFL. including dumb stuff like, don’t worry about the line, just elude the rushers. Who needs a pocket? Who needs to work under center?

I’m not saying I’m confident Murray can make the change. I’m saying he’s a great athlete that might be able to make the change. I’m also not confident this draft’s QB prospects are capable of leading the Cards to the promised land. My feeling is one more year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I don't expect Baker Mayfield to be available this offseason

Irrelevant tho. You asked for someone in the middle third (I would imagine Baker is much higher than Kyler).

Geno Smith is another guy.

I think that Kyler has a higher ceiling than Minshew.

I would hope so! The variable you aren't considering is $45M vs $4M for basically the same production.

I'm not obsessed with Kyler's contract;

Would you pay $1,000 month for the same streaming service your neighbor is paying $100 for?

Of course you should be concerned about players with a massive gap between contract and performance. It hurts the team.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
No, I mean Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

See above.

Caleb and Drake will make ~8M/year for the next four years (2024-2027).
5th year option in 2028.
6th year/new contract will be 2029 (I was off a year). That might be double what Kyler is making now but that is 6 years away my guy. Lot's will change.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
lol this thread has turned into nothing but 4-5 people ****!ng on kyler. Let’s see him at least have a competent roster as any decent QB has had before making all these wild statements with the worst roster in the league - by far. Let’s see him have an off-season of not rehabbing and learning a pro style offense before bringing out the pitch forks lol. The expectations for a situation that I don’t believe ANY active QB in the league would be thriving in OR even improving are just absurd.

Cut him, trade him, do whatever if he is sucking at this point this season…. But let’s give the guy a fighting chance first.
I mean, you're saying give him a 3rd or 4th chance. That's the problem. He always needs another chance. How many chances does one guy get? 5, 6, 10? It's frustrating to you that we've given up on KM. It's frustrating to us that he's so damned frustrating. If he was supremely talented or this generational QB that gets touted, there wouldn't be question marks hanging over him. Fact is, he's not that guy. There is zero argument to be made that he is. I doubt he ever will be that guy. The question is, can he be just a guy? An average QB that can win with a good roster but can't win without one? That can maybe win a championship with an absolutely stacked roster? I have my doubts.

Funny thing is, one game and his reaction in another game would probably have changed the narrative on him for me. Not to the point of me being sold on him yet, but in me wanting to give him another chance. I think if he scraped out a win in one of the playoff-clinching games that ill-fated season, so he got us across the line without us having to hope and pray the results went in our favor, and if he showed a much, much more mature attitude and demeanor, and acted like a leader, in that playoff blowout loss, I'd be ready to give him another chance. That wouldn't change much in the awful ending to that season, or the awful playoff performance that followed, no. It would, however, give me a sliver of hope. KM wouldn't be the guy who literally choked in every playoff clinching/playoff game he's started, and he wouldn't be the anti-leader we saw in his self-destructive playoff posture.

Sadly, he didn't manage that, and it destroyed a lot of his credit around here. He's got a long way to go trying to rebuild said credit.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I mean just talent-for-talent, everything else being equal. Goff is a free agent in 2025 and could get a big extension next year.

I don't expect Baker Mayfield to be available this offseason -- either because he's extended by the Bucs or because he's given the franchise tag.

I think that Kyler has a higher ceiling than Minshew. I don't think that Minshew + 2025 cap space gets us anywhere closer than Kyler on his current deal. Their stats this season are nearly identical (wild), and Minshew has a better supporting cast across the board.

I'm not obsessed with Kyler's contract; I don't anticipate it's going to prevent us from signing anyone we want or extending someone we'd like to keep. It's not my money.
Hard disagree. Well, mostly. Higher ceiling? In an "everything breaks right and Kyler somehow unlocks his physical talent to become the consistent QB he needs to become" world? Sure, Kyler has a higher ceiling. How much of a chance does he have to reach it? In my uneducated opinion, probably 10%. Changing his attitude clearly hasn't changed his game. Is he able to move on from daddy QB coach, seek out the tutelage he needs, and radically change his game? That percentage now drops significantly, IMO.

The better question is, would Minshew be better as a QB on this team in 2024 than KM? Even without looking at contracts, I think he would be. He would at least be as good. And you would save bucket loads of money in switching. He's not the QBOF, Minshew, but he can be a better bridge than KM.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About as weak an endorsement as possible. Also, I'm not sure there isn't a QB in the 2nd round that would be better than him. Also also, why not the 1st round? Also, I'm not sure Gardner Minshew wouldn't be better than Kyler in this offense.
I see nothing wrong taking a Qb. Let’s say a guy like Nix or McCarthy was still there in the second or third round. Would it be a terrible idea to take an insurance policy pick? I know “ we need to much to waste a pick on a Qb” theory. A lot would depend on who else is available.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard disagree. Well, mostly. Higher ceiling? In an "everything breaks right and Kyler somehow unlocks his physical talent to become the consistent QB he needs to become" world? Sure, Kyler has a higher ceiling. How much of a chance does he have to reach it? In my uneducated opinion, probably 10%. Changing his attitude clearly hasn't changed his game. Is he able to move on from daddy QB coach, seek out the tutelage he needs, and radically change his game? That percentage now drops significantly, IMO.

The better question is, would Minshew be better as a QB on this team in 2024 than KM? Even without looking at contracts, I think he would be. He would at least be as good. And you would save bucket loads of money in switching. He's not the QBOF, Minshew, but he can be a better bridge than KM.
lol. Get ready to duck! But I agree.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind catching heat :)

I said I'd give KM a chance to show he's the guy when he came back from injury. I did so. Despite the merest hint of promise, he has been a resounding dud. Now I've made up my mind. He's not the guy.
I have come to that conclusion to. His contract poses some real questions and problems.
I really believe had this idiot organization not signed Murray to his current contract we would be wondering which Qb we’d be drafting this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caleb and Drake will make ~8M/year for the next four years (2024-2027).
5th year option in 2028.
6th year/new contract will be 2029 (I was off a year). That might be double what Kyler is making now but that is 6 years away my guy. Lot's will change.
Weren't we comparing career numbers? That's what I'm talking about.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong taking a Qb. Let’s say a guy like Nix or McCarthy was still there in the second or third round. Would it be a terrible idea to take an insurance policy pick? I know “ we need to much to waste a pick on a Qb” theory. A lot would depend on who else is available.

You are creating drama with a high priced primadonna starting QB like Kyler.

You would hope it would create competition - steel sharpens steel.

However, Kyler has never had to "compete" for a starting job. When he did at A&M...he left.

He isn't a dawg - he just isn't.

He would pout and crumble which would then get us less for him in a trade.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind catching heat :)

I said I'd give KM a chance to show he's the guy when he came back from injury. I did so. Despite the merest hint of promise, he has been a resounding dud. Now I've made up my mind. He's not the guy.
I'm with you, but I feel like they only gave Kyler a half a chance. (with the players around him and the offense in place) Still, I've seen enough to want to move on.

Moving on might be fill out the rest of the roster, and pray that Kyler can turn it around in 2024 and if not, cut him. I don't think I trade him for the compensation suggested in this trade... The problem is that the Cards, even with a half decent QB, or many players away from really competing...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Meh. I think if you swapped them (with Kyler healthy), I think Kyler looks a lot like an MVP candidate playing in the AFC South with Steichen and that offensive personnel.

Minshew probably looks like the midpoint between Kyler and Josh Dobbs. Again, I don't know what you think we're going to do with that extra money.