Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler is in the worst quarter

5th best at first read being open but one of the worst EPAs when targeting them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Lots of issues. Complex play nomenclature. Slow coming in. Few weapons, defense can anticipate. New OC makes it hard to anticipate his thinking. Concerns about OL. This takes time. It’s totally different watching from sidelines to trying to hearing it in a loud stadium.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lots of issues. Complex play nomenclature. Slow coming in. Few weapons, defense can anticipate. New OC makes it hard to anticipate his thinking. Concerns about OL. This takes time. It’s totally different watching from sidelines to trying to hearing it in a loud stadium.
I promise you State Farm Stadium was not loud last week.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went back and watched some of the All 22 after the first drive and Kyler has a major, major problem throwing with timing.

He just can't throw it unless the WR is looking back at him.

Remember the play when McBride got clocked as soon as he caught the ball on a checkdown for about 5 yards on 3rd and 10? Rondale ran a lovely route from the slot between the linebackers and turned and sat at the sticks for an easy first down. But Kyler had to throw it so it arrives as he turns. It's not a difficult pass and you see it all the time. Kyler sees it and chooses the no hoper play.

Here is that whole 3 play sequence of awful passes.

Do you recall the first deep ball to Hollywood we all agreed was underthrown. Watch this and see just how underthrown it is. The window for Kyler to drop this into is huge but he still misses it. He basically just has to drop it outside the numbers for Brown to adjust to. If it's perfect he even has a chance to turn and home it with the space he has.

Just a terrible, terrible pass. It's so off target that Brown is adjusting his route before it's even half way there.

The play after it's 3rd and 8. The Rams get the sack but McBride is open to get the 1st down. He's decided for some reason that Rondale is his one and only read despite him being in tight coverage running a stop route 2 yards short for 1st down. IMO McBride should be the first read based on how they are aligned.

I won't do any more. It's depressingly bad.
This is my biggest concern. If it isn’t sandlot style of offense Kyler just doesn’t see it.
However get ready for, he’s coming of injury, hasn’t played, new offense responses.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Not sure if this was addressed before but it sounds like Petzing made Kyler change his footwork (left foot in front vs right)...first time in his football life he has done it.

Anybody know why?

2:56

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Not sure if this was addressed before but it sounds like Petzing made Kyler change his footwork (left foot in front vs right)...first time in his football life he has done it.

Anybody know why?

2:56

DP says it helps with better timing. Not sure I'm buying it but some of the greats have done it both ways.

I would say let the QB do what they feel comfortable with as long as the ball is coming out on time. And hitting his receivers in the numbers.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DP says it helps with better timing. Not sure I'm buying it but some of the greats have done it both ways.

I would say let the QB do what they feel comfortable with as long as the ball is coming out on time. And hitting his receivers in the numbers.
I saw that and assumed that the timing thing meant that depending which leg starts forward, given that he has to plant with his left leg forward, he either needs to take 3-step vs. 3.5-step drops, or 5-step vs. 5.5-step, etc.

And I guessed that some of the routes in Petzing's offense are designed to come open based on how long it takes for the QB to finish his drop back and fire the ball. And Petzing would rather have Murray adjust his stance than adjust all the routes to account for one more or one fewer half-step.

But then I realized that the size of the steps, the speed of the backpedal, and the velocity of the ball, all have just as much of an effect on when the ball gets to the open spot. So I dunno! :shrug:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I saw that and assumed that the timing thing meant that depending which leg starts forward, given that he has to plant with his left leg forward, he either needs to take 3-step vs. 3.5-step drops, or 5-step vs. 5.5-step, etc.

And I guessed that some of the routes in Petzing's offense are designed to come open based on how long it takes for the QB to finish his drop back and fire the ball. And Petzing would rather have Murray adjust his stance than adjust all the routes to account for one more or one fewer half-step.

But then I realized that the size of the steps, the speed of the backpedal, and the velocity of the ball, all have just as much of an effect on when the ball gets to the open spot. So I dunno! :shrug:
I agree and ran it all through my head and I'll be damned if it makes sense to me. Seems like having a comfortable QB might outweigh the which leg is forward at the snap, but that's just me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree and ran it all through my head and I'll be damned if it makes sense to me. Seems like having a comfortable QB might outweigh the which leg is forward at the snap, but that's just me.
For me, I think Kyler's mechanics stink, so anything our OC can do to improve upon them will greatly improve his ability as a QB. I get why they stink--he's more comfortable when the play is breaking down--but he needs to focus hard on his mechanics to really have a shot.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For me, I think Kyler's mechanics stink, so anything our OC can do to improve upon them will greatly improve his ability as a QB. I get why they stink--he's more comfortable when the play is breaking down--but he needs to focus hard on his mechanics to really have a shot.
Hopefully you aren’t referring to 15 yard spin move backwards, right:)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. We need him to get the ball out on time and he needs to start recognizing when the primary receiver is no longer the primary receiver BEFORE the snap.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds like many of you are expecting an awful lot from a team that is going through a known and defined breakdown and rebuild. And a QB who hasn't picked up a football in a year. Fretting over outcomes and game details right now is a fool's errand. We gave away every player on the team anyone has ever heard of last offseason, except for Murray, Baker, and Conner. Their being in the game till the end in most every game this season is a testament.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like many of you are expecting an awful lot from a team that is going through a known and defined breakdown and rebuild. And a QB who hasn't picked up a football in a year. Fretting over outcomes and game details right now is a fool's errand. We gave away every player on the team anyone has ever heard of last offseason, except for Murray, Baker, and Conner. Their being in the game till the end in most every game this season is a testament.
Kinda where I’m at. This year has already been a pleasant surprise in that the team has been more competitive than I thought they’d be.

We’ve said for years the Cards have never pulled off the BandAid and outright sucked to rebuild. We’ve always slapped bandages on festering wounds and not had consistent success.

Even the Arians years were largely win-now acquisitions that didn’t set the team up for the long haul.

We can argue about whose fault that was, but it doesn’t change anything. Let Monty cook. He’s not even been in the job for a year yet - how long did we suffer through Keim and Graves?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Kinda where I’m at. This year has already been a pleasant surprise in that the team has been more competitive than I thought they’d be.

We’ve said for years the Cards have never pulled off the BandAid and outright sucked to rebuild. We’ve always slapped bandages on festering wounds and not had consistent success.

Even the Arians years were largely win-now acquisitions that didn’t set the team up for the long haul.

We can argue about whose fault that was, but it doesn’t change anything. Let Monty cook. He’s not even been in the job for a year yet - how long did we suffer through Keim and Graves?

This is the way.

Give the new leadership group 18 months to see if they can get us moving in the right direction.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Lotta misinformation in this post.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like many of you are expecting an awful lot from a team that is going through a known and defined breakdown and rebuild.
This thread isn't about whether we expect the team to be good, it's about evaluating Murray.
And a QB who hasn't picked up a football in a year.
Huge exaggeration - he tore his ACL, not his arm off. He was throwing and working on footwork in pre-season, if not sooner.
Fretting over outcomes and game details right now is a fool's errand.
I don't really see anyone fretting over outcomes.
We gave away every player on the team anyone has ever heard of last offseason, except for Murray, Baker, and Conner.
The offense is pretty similar to the one at the start of last season - arguably improved at TE, OL with Johnson, and WR with Wilson (though he's been out aside from Murrays first game back).

This isn't an ideal situation for Murray, but it's adequate, given the caveats, to fairly evaluate what we see out of him the rest of the way.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The offense is pretty similar to the one at the start of last season - arguably improved at TE, OL with Johnson, and WR with Wilson (though he's been out aside from Murrays first game back).
Nuk>>>any other receiver we have

Michael Wilson is a non-entity until he can find a way to stay on the football field. So far he's proven he can't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nuk>>>any other receiver we have

Michael Wilson is a non-entity until he can find a way to stay on the football field. So far he's proven he can't.
Nuk didn’t play the first 6 games of last season, which made up the majority of Kyler’s time on the field.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nuk didn’t play the first 6 games of last season, which made up the majority of Kyler’s time on the field.
And Kyler's #'s with and without Nuk were eye opening. Spending a 1st and a 2nd on two midgets who struggle to stay healthy and produce has really put us behind the 8 ball. Kyler desperately needs a legit target outside of McBride.

Stout

Reaction score
At minimum, we need to know if we're riding with Kyler at QB next year. That makes expectations high for him, necessarily.

Stout

Reaction score

Agreed. My caveat is that Monti needs to completely erase the boneheaded mistakes. Some want to excuse them as a rookie GM. Okay. From here on out, though, no extra draft picks for backup QBs, no tampering, etc. Zero tolerance.