Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agreed. My caveat is that Monti needs to completely erase the boneheaded mistakes. Some want to excuse them as a rookie GM. Okay. From here on out, though, no extra draft picks for backup QBs, no tampering, etc. Zero tolerance.
Oooh, don't forget releasing valuable assets for nothing!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sounds like many of you are expecting an awful lot from a team that is going through a known and defined breakdown and rebuild.

It is not a "known and defined breakdown and rebuild." In fact, both Monti and JG have repeatedly affirmed that each decision they make are with the intention of winning football games. You can say you don't believe them, but it's neither known or defined.

And a QB who hasn't picked up a football in a year.

This is obviously false. He played professional football after eleven months. He had picked up a football in the summer, and was running and training throughout camp.

We gave away every player on the team anyone has ever heard of last offseason, except for Murray, Baker, and Conner.

I'd argue Hollywood Brown, Zach Ertz, and Zaven Collins were marketable players that we retained into the regular season.

Their being in the game till the end in most every game this season is a testament.

Most every game? How do you validate that for San Fran, Cincy, LARM x2, Seattle, Baltimore, and Cleveland. We've played 12 games and been boat-raced in seven of them. In two more we suffered embarrassing collapses.

If you want to consider the Texans game as being "in til the end", you can have it, but that's a tough one for me. YMMV

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like many of you are expecting an awful lot from a team that is going through a known and defined breakdown and rebuild. And a QB who hasn't picked up a football in a year. Fretting over outcomes and game details right now is a fool's errand. We gave away every player on the team anyone has ever heard of last offseason, except for Murray, Baker, and Conner. Their being in the game till the end in most every game this season is a testament.
This.

I am watching the Dallas-Seattle game last night and I couldn't help thinking about Murray in place of Prescott. He would be doing great with that talent. Counter-argument: "But he's paid to be a franchise QB, a difference maker! He shouldn't need all that talent around him!" Well, Dak Prescott is also paid at franchise QB level.

After year 1 of Monti's era, we have less overall talent than we did at this time last year. I know the NFL is the sports league most favorable to quick turnarounds and surprise teams, but we are decimated of talent in some units of this team. They can't possibly be fixed in a year, maybe not even two or three.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This.

I am watching the Dallas-Seattle game last night and I couldn't help thinking about Murray in place of Prescott. He would be doing great with that talent. Counter-argument: "But he's paid to be a franchise QB, a difference maker! He shouldn't need all that talent around him!" Well, Dak Prescott is also paid at franchise QB level.

After year 1 of Monti's era, we have less overall talent than we did at this time last year. I know the NFL is the sports league most favorable to quick turnarounds and surprise teams, but we are decimated of talent in some units of this team. They can't possibly be fixed in a year, maybe not even two or three.
I doubt this very much. Would he do better? Yes. Would he be doing great? Not right now. His basic mechanics, deep throws, timing, rhythm, are all garbage right now. Talent always makes you look better, but bad fundamentals cannot be papered over.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I doubt this very much. Would he do better? Yes. Would he be doing great? Not right now. His basic mechanics, deep throws, timing, rhythm, are all garbage right now. Talent always makes you look better, but bad fundamentals cannot be papered over.
I agree with this. Dak has been a consistent, cerebral, in-rhythm passer for longer and more provably than Kyler ever has.

The problem with Dak is he doesn't really create a ton of explosive or creative plays.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That isn’t necessarily what that chart says. Kyler can also be throwing to covered receivers.
He could - we're all watching the games though. Does it look to you like there are clearly open receivers that Kyler is obviously missing? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and pressure necessitating quick throw could be a part of the problem, but what I'm seeing appears to be in sync with the data.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He could - we're all watching the games though. Does it look to you like there are clearly open receivers that Kyler is obviously missing? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and pressure necessitating quick throw could be a part of the problem, but what I'm seeing appears to be in sync with the data.
Sometimes. Hollywood and Rondale aren't really breaking ankles with their route-running or anything, but there are spaces guys are running into.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sometimes. Hollywood and Rondale aren't really breaking ankles with their route-running or anything, but there are spaces guys are running into.
Yeah, whatever they're using to track this seems to indicate the Cards guys are the worst in football at getting open. Even if they're not the absolute worst, they're clearly in the bottom 10 at best. Kyler needs better weapons.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, whatever they're using to track this seems to indicate the Cards guys are the worst in football at getting open. Even if they're not the absolute worst, they're clearly in the bottom 10 at best. Kyler needs better weapons.
And he needs to be better, too.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kurt Warner just quasi called out Kyler on NFL channel.

What he said specifically:

He has franchise QB skills
Getting paid franchise QB money
He has to prove he is a franchise QB
- Which starts with consistency each and every week
- Has to win (.500 record today)
- Then has to prove he can beat good teams consistently (7-19 or something like that today)

Lastly - he said he has a lot to prove with the "new regime"

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt Warner just quasi called out Kyler on NFL channel.

What he said specifically:

He has franchise QB skills
Getting paid franchise QB money
He has to prove he is a franchise QB
- Which starts with consistency each and every week
- Has to win (.500 record today)
- Then has to prove he can beat good teams consistently (7-19 or something like that today)

Lastly - he said he has a lot to prove with the "new regime"
He’s stupid. Doesn’t he understand that Kyler is learning a new offense and coming off surgery and his 7-19 record against good teams is…. Well that’s in the past?
(Sarcasm in case anybody misinterprets)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn’t necessarily what that chart says. Kyler can also be throwing to covered receivers.

I thought overall he played well today given the weather. But there's one play that stands out as he has to get better. The replay of the incompletion on the out left to Hollywood where Brown slides trying to make the catch that's wide. If you watch the replay, Rondale is WIDE open in the middle at the same depth.

I don't get how Kyler doesn't see it because he's actually trying to look off the safety at one point looking middle, Rondale should have been open right in his field of view.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Given the weather and amount of snaps you can argue Trubisky outplayed Kyler today. Combine the two bum Pitt Qbs and they have a better completion rating and more yards. I’m not gonna settle for mediocrity with that contract.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With 4:25 left 13/23 for 145 yards does not give me more confidence with Kyler. The offense today was McBride and Conner. We only had one pass play over 20 yards today.
Kyler threw 3 TDs, two were called back, while playing in a hurricane for half the game. He had a gorgeous throw to Moore too that Moore couldn't hold on to. Another gorgeous throw to Dortch. He limited mistakes and looked much better on deep throws.