Official 2023 Cardinals Camp thread

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It wasn't a bad signing if we were bringing him in for nothing more than a shot at the roster. It was a bad signing framed as if he were penciled in as the starter. I would absolutely still stick with that point.
Don't you think all of the C's signed were basically brought in to compete for the roster spot? None of them had any real pedigree. I'm sure if the Dane didn't show something during OTA, then he wouldn't have been named with the 1st unit early on.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Don't you think all of the C's signed were basically brought in to compete for the roster spot? None of them had any real pedigree. I'm sure if the Dane didn't show something during OTA, then he wouldn't have been named with the 1st unit early on.
This is why I and others were quite displeased with how the Cards addressed the OL. We have a QB returning from a major knee injury that we need to evaluate ASAP, and brought a bunch of nobodies in to compete for starting C. And being named to the first unit when there's a shallow talent pool isn't much.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything from him. For one, it's the preseason, and I don't generally watch preseason games. For another, I just bought a house, so I'm a bit preoccupied.
Congrats on the new house! I hate moving though. Couldn't imagine moving after all of the stuff that my wife and I have accumulated over the last 2 decades.

With regards to the Cardinals new starting center, I have attended a few practices and have watched and replayed both pre-season games while keying on him. So while you may call it hopium, I call it the eye test. I haven't seen a negative play from him in the plays that he has been out there during the pre-season games. This was against the Broncos and Chiefs starters.

Here is the short clip of him manhandling the Broncos in case you missed it:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kazir White has looked really good at training camp and in the few snaps he has played in preseason.

Krys Barnes and Josh Woods have also impressed at ILB.

Froholdt has been way more than I expected at center. Heading into training camp I wasn’t sure that we had a center on the roster. Now I feel a lot more confidence with the Great Dane starting at center.

Elijah Wilkinson has been lined up with the starters at Guard since the beginning of training camp.

LJ Collier was brought in from Seattle and has looked like one of the starters on the DL

Carlos Watkins who was brought in from the Cowboys also has looked very solid on the DL.
I have said I liked the approach the Cardinals took at ILB. Their level of play shows why.

Fro has met every challenge he has faced so far. Wilkinson hasn't looked quite as good, but again, no issues.

My point was that if they did this at ILB and OL, maybe they could have used the same approach at DB and DL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But yes as i said in another thread there are major questions at CB and Edge with regards to the starters. As well as a general depth issue. Clearly this team doesn’t have the depth that the Chiefs do as was evident in the box score. One or two key injuries to the starters and this team is in big trouble.

I think the depth problem is actually a top-end talent problem. Collier, Barnes, Woods, Froholdt, and the rest are perfectly cromulent players. Most teams have two of these types of guys starting on each side of the ball or getting a lot of snaps.

The problem is that we don't have many good players, so we're starting like six of these types of guys on each side of the ball. The good news is that the depth problem kind of takes care of itself. Players the caliber of Josh Woods are consistently available to be signed from the street, so if someone gets injured, you just bring in the next Tanner Vallejo-quality body and slot them in.

We made a choice not to sign a second wave of replacement-level players because they're plentiful and we had a backlog of guys like Leki Fotu and Rashard Lawrence who needed to be evaluated in the new system. Those guys will naturally weed themselves out over the next three weeks and maybe into the season.

EDIT: I think it's harder to find even good replacement-level players at Edge and CB, so we threw a bunch of draft capital at those positions and we'll take our lumps to figure it out.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It wasn't a bad signing if we were bringing him in for nothing more than a shot at the roster. It was a bad signing framed as if he were penciled in as the starter. I would absolutely still stick with that point.
While you might be correct, I'm pretty sure the signing was closer to him being the starting center. And, with the PS almost done, it looks like he'll keep the starting job.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Just in case anyone thinks that the Cardinals are going to get a reprieve from the hot weather, it's supposed to be in the high 90s here in Minnesota Tuesday and Wednesday (and humid).

Stout

Reaction score
Congrats on the new house! I hate moving though. Couldn't imagine moving after all of the stuff that my wife and I have accumulated over the last 2 decades.

With regards to the Cardinals new starting center, I have attended a few practices and have watched and replayed both pre-season games while keying on him. So while you may call it hopium, I call it the eye test. I haven't seen a negative play from him in the plays that he has been out there during the pre-season games. This was against the Broncos and Chiefs starters.

Here is the short clip of him manhandling the Broncos in case you missed it:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thanks man! Yeah, I paid to get it done, especially with my gimpy leg.

As to the rest, it's preseason. If and when he shows anything positive when it counts, we can begin seeing what we have. Anything more than nothing will be a bonus for me :)

Stout

Reaction score
While you might be correct, I'm pretty sure the signing was closer to him being the starting center. And, with the PS almost done, it looks like he'll keep the starting job.
Right, which is why I don't like the signing. That's why I posted my opinion based on the two possibilities.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Just in case anyone thinks that the Cardinals are going to get a reprieve from the hot weather, it's supposed to be in the high 90s here in Minnesota Tuesday and Wednesday (and humid).
Longest string of ultra hot days since 1988. I don't expect much sympathy from AZ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92