Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are looking at some assistant coaches for their head coaching vacancy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on the possible availability of Bob Myers of the Warriors.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah the Christian angle was just an example of the type of guys he wants but nothing more than a guess on my part. But it's not that much of a reach IMO. I've known a few coaches that he reminds me of so I know they exist - the ones that ostracize you if you don't pray with them in the locker room before the game.

I got you...Monty likes who he likes. And if he likes you, and you just a peasant, you in.

The why...well i got an idea too based on a pattern but he ***** me up in my thinking because he does play that type (but they are the stars).

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I said last season that total collapse was done on purpose by the players. No way a team that good collapse like that.

But I often wondered why the stars didn't say anything to Monty but it was said star players don't not play. I believe the players did, just like the front office, just like the assistant coaches...and he just like the owner said play or lose the asset I sign the pay checks for.
You must be registered for see images attach

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The whole team & organization top to bottom telling the media inside stories that don't paint Monty in a positive light right now....so....in retrospect......
I know right? And where exactly was Monty Williams when JFK was assassinated? Sure, he wasn't born until 8 years later but that doesn't automatically rule him out now does it? And don't get me started on the high fructose corn syrup - which was ONLY invented 3 years before Monty's birth... think about it bro

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Either media is making up stuff or the organization is trying to change our minds about our beloved Monty. I can't figure it out either.

My man deserved more than a phone call...he deserved at least a 20 piece dinner with biscuits and a half and half.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like the idea of Kevin Young because he’s got a completely different personality and knows exactly what Monty did wrong; like butchering communication with certain players, being slow to adjust, not defending players to officials (during the game), not having his team ready in elimination games etc etc etc.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like the idea of Kevin Young because he’s got a completely different personality and knows exactly what Monty did wrong; like butchering communication with certain players, being slow to adjust, not defending players to officials (during the game), not having his team ready in elimination games etc etc etc.
What makes you say that? What has he done to convince you he wasn’t part of the problem?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either media is making up stuff or the organization is trying to change our minds about our beloved Monty. I can't figure it out either.

My man deserved more than a phone call...he deserved at least a 20 piece dinner with biscuits and a half and half.
The other posibility is that he wasn't a perfect coach, had his own issues, made mistakes and has shortcomings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Devin Booker said about Kevin Young during the season. He is excellent with the Xs and Os.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Devin Booker said about Kevin Young during the season. He is excellent with the Xs and Os.

I am not discounting what Booker is saying but that didn't seem to pan out on multiple occasions because our offense was utterly predictable. We couldn't adjust. Maybe that was Monty overriding Young but I am skeptical. I can't imagine Monty not spending a ton of time with his assistant coaches getting input on adjustments. I really hope we do not do an internal hire.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not discounting what Booker is saying but that didn't seem to pan out on multiple occasions because our offense was utterly predictable. We couldn't adjust. Maybe that was Monty overriding Young but I am skeptical. I can't imagine Monty not spending a ton of time with his assistant coaches getting input on adjustments. I really hope we do not do an internal hire.

I don't know how much input Kevin Young has in the game plan. Because of this, I have the same questions.

When Willie Green was an assistant coach for the Suns, Monty seemed to listen when he saw defensive adjustments were needed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A part of me wants a new head coach outside the organization because of the Suns playoff collapses.

Of course Kevin Young may know the answer and be a part of the solution not the problem. The players and other assistant coaches will know.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much input Kevin Young has in the game plan. Because of this, I have the same questions.

When Willie Green was an assistant coach for the Suns, Monty seemed to listen when he saw defensive adjustments were needed.
The unknown is did Monty only listen to Willie, and no one else?

Did Monty's ego get in the way after hearing about how much he missed Willie and was determined to run the show completely?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Anyone watch Shake Milton, PG 6'5". I remember the name. Can't remember impressions of him. Bios I read say he
I took it as he was telling Book what to do against guys guarding Book, and when Book ran the offense as Point Book. I still think it was Monty's scheme.

That said, in hindsight we should have held onto Willie Green. You can see that at a minimum his teams seem to play schematically well against us and other teams, too. With lesser talent to boot.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
The unknown is did Monty only listen to Willie, and no one else?

Did Monty's ego get in the way after hearing about how much he missed Willie and was determined to run the show completely?

If Monty wasn't listening to his boss, he wasn't listening to anyone. Evidence with all the leaks about him. Like why tell the public when you didn't say it to the coach. Well they did that's why they telling us now.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Monty wasn't listening to his boss, he wasn't listening to anyone. Evidence with all the leaks about him. Like why tell the public when you didn't say it to the coach. Well they did that's why they telling us now.
You do realize Willie Green wasn't Monty's boss, right?

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't say Willie was his boss.

I said if Monty didn't listen to his boss and his boss was Jones.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose