NFL Player you Remember 1st Admiring as a Kid

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leroy Kelly still the best all round football player I've ever watched - punt return - rushing champion. - passer, receiver - like 70% of browns offense went through him for 10 years after him brown retired. Would take 53 of him
One of the most underrated RB’s of that era for sure!!

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Alan Ameche in college and Otto Graham in the NFL.
Of course many us who remember Otto are on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
What a winner he was!!! I don't believe he ever lost a championship game. If I recall Milt Plum was next.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some guy who wore #32 for the Browns. Pretty fair running back.
Never one better, nor will there every be a better one!!!!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stump Mitchell was awesome for his size. Neil Lomax, Marcus Allen, Howie Long.
My wife was at Villanova when Howie Long was there. Actually was in a couple classes together. Not even sure if Villanova was a Division 1 program. At the time, no one was expecting Howie to ever be in the NFL, let alone be a HOFer. Howie also boxed in college & was a heavyweight college champion. My wife always like him because he married his college sweetheart & they’re still married.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I just want to say that as old as some of you obviously are, I’m very impressed you’re still able to type.
Being able to type wasn't one of them, however you reminded me of few years ago when I used to play a guessing game with all those on a forum where I would tell each what 10 year age group they fell into by them honestly putting the following items in order of daily importance to them. I rarely guessed wrong.

rewarding spiritual connection
exclusive sexual relationship
wonderful car
regular bowel movements
loyal pet
nice meals
lots of wealth
loving family
good job
positive strong image
great nights' sleep
many close friends
favorable health

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I remember being about 11 or so and going to the Cotton Bowl on Texans and Cowboys game days and selling peanuts to the fans. You just showed up outside one of the gates an hour or two before game time and they would assign you to sell cokes or peanuts or whatever. Being young, I always got peanuts which I liked because you could throw them to people in the middle of the rows. Sometimes adults would rip you offer over the change, so some days I didn't end up with much if any profit. But it was fun taking the bus to the game and making a couple bucks as the game went on. Too bad Dallas didn't have a MLB team back then.

It was a different time then when parents felt safe letting their young kids roam the city on their own. I had a bus pass and in summer I went all over Dallas everyday while my mom worked. Sometimes I would surprise her and be on the same downtown bus she got on to come home after work. I went downtown most days to the public library to check out the latest biography of a sports figure to read while on the busses.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being able to type wasn't one of them, however you reminded me of few years ago when I used to play a guessing game with all those on a forum where I would tell each what 10 year age group they fell into by them honestly putting the following items in order of daily importance to them. I rarely guessed wrong.

rewarding spiritual connection
exclusive sexual relationship
wonderful car
regular bowel movements
loyal pet
nice meals
lots of wealth
loving family
good job
positive strong image
great nights' sleep
many close friends
favorable health
Good stuff lol. I’ll play:

Loving family
Favorable health
Good job/lots of wealth
Great nights sleep
Regular bowel movements
Loyal pet
Rewarding spiritual connection
Positive strong image
Exclusive sexual relationship
Close friends
Nice meals
Wonderful car

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My wife was at Villanova when Howie Long was there. Actually was in a couple classes together. Not even sure if Villanova was a Division 1 program. At the time, no one was expecting Howie to ever be in the NFL, let alone be a HOFer. Howie also boxed in college & was a heavyweight college champion. My wife always like him because he married his college sweetheart & they’re still married.
Uncle Jeff once told me a really funny Howie Long college story..,

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Good stuff lol. I’ll play:

Loving family
Favorable health
Good job/lots of wealth
Great nights sleep
Regular bowel movements
Loyal pet
Rewarding spiritual connection
Positive strong image
Exclusive sexual relationship
Close friends
Nice meals
Wonderful car
I would guess you are somewhere around your 40s, maybe even early 40s. I admit though it has been so long that I have even forgotten how I originally broke down the age categories. I do remember it was pretty specific.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
a
One of the most underrated RB’s of that era for sure!!
well he made the hall of fame - his son David was broadcasting at uofa - would like him to speak to the cards team - be the most interesting few words they hear - wish mudder was still a skill set - but snow backs are still valuable in the playoffs , barely ! Establish a normal - earn it - then switch it up for the big play -

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
As the current POTUS would say "come on man." Living in Chicago and I certainly give Walter his props, but if you saw Jim Brown play you might see the light.
***** Marcell Shipp has entered the chat *****

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eric Swann.

I was a tween/early teen when I started following football.

Also loved Emmitt Smith before I realized that the Cowboys were dbags.
Swann was a good dude. Became pretty good friends with him while he played for us....to the point where he would get me tickets for road games when they would play on the east coast.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose