Playoffs: Nuggets @ Suns Thursday game thread 5-11-2023 - Game 6

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am saying, the standards are ridiculously high for a guy who has been a Superstar his entire career. The bar is ridiculously high if a guy is averaging 29.6 PPG, shooting 91% from the FT line, #4 in FTA, #9 in blocks and you are saying those are not Superstar numbers. There are only 4 guys left in the playoffs scoring more. Take his name out of it and those are Superstar playoff numbers. That's not the issue, it's HOW he is doing it which is not up to KD standards. He is typically more efficient.

In terms of the new GM and scouting. Not sure teams are going to have a choice with the new rules coming into play for salary caps.
I don't care that he eventually scores enough points - he's completely inefficient, turning the ball over, and an average defender.

Whatever KD has brought to the table so far has been incredibly underwhelming. We gave up a ton of assets for what we expected to be an MVP level player. Still waiting to see that player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Superstar Durant is who the Suns traded for. Efficiency is part of the equation. Not only that, the Suns need three more years of superstar Durant.

I don't think the new CBA rules limit hiring a good GM, coach or scouts.

The Suns do have a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft and there are always undrafted free agents.
Yes and we are getting Superstar numbers minus the efficiency. That's more of a Durant standard than a Superstar standard is what I am saying. Also, I am not saying the new CBA limits hiring a good GM and coach. What I am saying is that the approach (meaning scouting, G league etc.) is going to be more important than ever if you can't stack teams thanks to the Apron.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Book has been loyal and I know you are not saying he did or is going to float trade rumors. I think you are just floating a hypothetical if the wheels fall off. If that happens everything is on the table including the GM, Monty and shedding a ton of salary. The Suns won't be able to escape the Apron penalties coming as far over the cap as we are. I think as long as you give Book another stud to play with he will likely always be here. In terms of Monty, he sucks at adjustments, creates nonsenisical rotations and has gotten outcoached repeatedly the past 2 playoffs (this might make 3) but I don't put Ayton all on Monty. Most of Ayton's problems are Ayton.
They gave Book his childhood idol in KD. He's staying.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a superstar!

Offensive efficiency is what MAKES Durant a superstar! When he's not efficient, he no longer plays like a superstar.
If I gave his numbers and you didn't know his name? Yeah it is. He is basically trading efficiency for trips to the line. That might work in some instances but with this team? We need his efficiency because of the lack of bench production. Different strokes for different teams. Do you realize how few guys in the NBA have averaged what he has in the playoffs? Plus, Book doesn't get his numbers without Durant either. That doesn't show up on a stat line.

I agree with @Mainstreet though. That is not the player we traded for. We traded for the entire enchilada. Having said that? Every team knows right now it's the Booker/Durant show. With Ayton crapping the bed, CP3 getting old and the other position being a revolving door? Teams can key on Booker/Durant more than they normally would.

Last edited:

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Need a miracle at this point. Why didn’t Book fight through the double teams, was it the ankle?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If I gave his numbers and you didn't know his name? Yeah it is. He is basically trading efficiency for trips to the line. That might work in some instances but with this team? We need his efficiency because of the lack of bench production. Different strokes for different teams. Do you realize how few guys in the NBA have averaged what he has in the playoffs? Plus, Book doesn't get his numbers without Durant either. That doesn't show up on a stat line.
I'm not just talking about just the #'s, I'm talking about what we're seeing with our eyes. We've seen two guys playing like superstars in this series, Book and Jokic. Durant is getting a ton of help with Booker playing like he is as well.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Need a miracle at this point. Why didn’t Book fight through the double teams, was it the ankle?
That, and the Nuggets made a point to make him work on D. He's carrying far too much of a burden at this point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not just talking about just the #'s, I'm talking about what we're seeing with our eyes. We've seen two guys playing like superstars in this series, Book and Jokic. Durant is getting a ton of help with Booker playing like he is as well.
I don't disagree but Booker to me has benefited more than anybody the past few years with the acquisitions of CP3 and Durant. It's no coicidence his game when up twice after those acquisitions. Teams can't put all their eggs in the Booker basket any longer.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Durant has been the 7th best player in the playoffs according to VORP. Jokic and Booker are tied for first.

FYI VORP stands for value over replacement. True to its name, Ayton has a negative VORP and is ranked 192nd overall behind Landale who is 122nd.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns don't win a title with Durant it's going to look like a pile of poop.

The Suns are already one of the winningest teams in ALL OF SPORTS without a title. It doesn't get much bigger of a pile than that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are already one of the winningest teams in ALL OF SPORTS without a title. It doesn't get much bigger of a pile than that.

Personally, I liked the Suns team before they traded the farm away.

They had an open window to win a championship for many years to come.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I liked the Suns team before they traded the farm away.

They had an open window to win a championship for many years to come.
That's fair if you think that. There was no window IMO. If we didn't get Durant we were going to have to make a similar move for another star.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It matters. I don't want to lose on my home turf and have them celebrate here. F that! They can party in their own house. Also, I want to see Denver earn it. We win game six, and they tighten just a bit...
I mean yeah I agree. I definitely want the Suns to win game 6. Just don't see us winning the series.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul has a long workout.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty talks about Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton. So both seem ready to go.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty talks about Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton. So both seem ready to go.

I wish that really meant something. If they aren't so injured that it needs to be reported, we'll never hear anything. And even then they'll delay announcing it as long as possible.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish that really meant something. If they aren't so injured that it needs to be reported, we'll never hear anything. And even then they'll delay announcing it as long as possible.

I think Booker will play. It would be hard to keep him off the court.

The others, it's hard to say. How bad do they want it?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Booker will play. It would be hard to keep him off the court.

The others, it's hard to say. How bad do they want it?
Sure, Devin would probably play even if he had to use a walker out there. But we need a fully healthy Booker, anything less and we are too far outclassed to hope for a victory at home let alone in Denver.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, Devin would probably play even if he had to use a walker out there. But we need a fully healthy Booker, anything less and we are too far outclassed to hope for a victory at home let alone in Denver.

I agree, but this is where we are.

The Suns primarily depend on four players (Ayton, Paul, Durant and Booker) and three are hurting.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort