Playoffs: Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 5-5-2023 - Game 3

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the game at a bar and had a man-child having a melt down next to me during the 4th quarter.

Probably the least enjoyable big Suns win I've ever watched.

I need to re-watch it to feel better.

That said... I had no clue about this Ayton drama, didn't even realize he wasn't playing (he had been invisible all game).

Really sucks.

If we have anything resembling a trade asset... he's it. Him going full Ben Simmons would be an absolute disaster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the game at a bar and had a man-child having a melt down next to me during the 4th quarter.

Probably the least enjoyable big Suns win I've ever watched.

I need to re-watch it to feel better.

That said... I had no clue about this Ayton drama, didn't even realize he wasn't playing (he had been invisible all game).

Really sucks.

If we have anything resembling a trade asset... he's it. Him going full Ben Simmons would be an absolute disaster.

Hopefully the man child wasn't in your party.

What was the vibe like outside of that, I'm curious if there was a full house for the game or lots of people there rooting for the Suns. I wish this would become a Suns city again. I don't think we'll ever get back to how it was in the Barkley years because the city has changed too much, as has the country for that matter. I do think it could be similar to the Nash years though. Then you'd see Suns merch all over the place and most bars would have the game on and full houses.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Im not worried about Durant’s shooting. He’s one of the best players in NBA history. He’ll figure it out. Im more worried about Monty getting flexed on again

Im not worried about Durant’s shooting. He’s one of the best players in NBA history. He’ll figure it out. Im more worried about Monty getting flexed on again
Shooting percentage goes out the window if you can outhustle your opponents with a higher number of points scored than your opponent did always. During a game if you shot say 12 for 31 and your opponent shot 6 for 8. Who wins the game and which are you most satisfied with? A percentage or a win? So shooting percentage don't matter sometimes but Wins do!!! Durant will shoot better.

Last edited:

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
If Ayton is embarrassed he has no one to blame but himself. His play was downright embarrassing tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Joker makes DA look like a high school player...

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wow

I guess I have a different take on this.

Without CP3 running the pick and roll with DA, DA was essentially out of the offense and seemed to lose interest or motivation. He's not one of those guys that gets fired up about scrapping, getting second chance points. But that is exactly what we need right now and Landale provided it.

As far as DA's reaction during the timeout. Do we expect him to be happy about being subbed out? Hell no. We expect him to be pissed off. So that's a good thing, I like it. Frankly, I would expect him to be even more upset, throw a chair, whatever, show us you care. I am glad he was upset, good on him.

I know everyone wants to punish DA and just bench him. That is not where I am at.

If I am Monty, I sit him down and try to channel that frustration into motivation for game 4. We need Ayton if we are going to get through this series. He needs to understand that he is going to have to scrap like a junkyard dog and contribute in a different way than usual. And if he doesn't, Monty won't hesitate to go to the bench again

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Monty had no choice at all, if he had kept Ayton in we would've lost the game

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have a b
Actually wrote that a few days ago here… but @Absolute Zero laughed at me.
It’s truth. If they don’t put up a collective 70+, we have zero chance of a win.

You have a better memory than I do. FYI the laugh smilie is not laughing at the poster, it is directed at the post. I think that saying that is the ONLY way we can win is over the top, that's all. We have some tremendous players on this team, any one of which could go off on a given night. Not likely, but possible.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Without CP3 running the pick and roll with DA, DA was essentially out of the offense and seemed to lose interest or motivation. He's not one of those guys that gets fired up about scrapping, getting second chance points. But that is exactly what we need right now and Landale provided it.

As far as DA's reaction during the timeout. Do we expect him to be happy about being subbed out? Hell no. We expect him to be pissed off. So that's a good thing, I like it. Frankly, I would expect him to be even more upset, throw a chair, whatever, show us you care. I am glad he was upset, good on him.

I know everyone wants to punish DA and just bench him. That is not where I am at.

If I am Monty, I sit him down and try to channel that frustration into motivation for game 4. We need Ayton if we are going to get through this series. He needs to understand that he is going to have to scrap like a junkyard dog and contribute in a different way than usual. And if he doesn't, Monty won't hesitate to go to the bench again
Couldn’t possibly disagree more with this entire post.
Last night, once & for all, finally put the real Ayton on full display.
He was the reason for the collapse last year against Dallas. He was the reason why we struggled against New Orleans last year. He’s the reason why we struggled this year against the Clippers… not only because of his ineffectiveness on the court, but his attitude off the court and in the locker room. Monty was right to get in DA’s face last post season vs Dallas.
And yet, the punk still never got the message. He got paid, but he refused to get the message. Even with Book and CP3 constantly in his ear… and even with KD chirping at him this post season, he refuses to get the message.

Guys like that are completely unsalvageable. Ayton is Stage 4 cancer that needs to be surgically removed. Period.
No cotteling. He’s toast. He is a massive negative both on and off the court. He’s all but given up which, his fellow brothers won’t tolerate. The team is putting forth incredible effort. Monty is coaching his ass off… and Big Baby Ayton simply wants to collect his paycheck and smoke his doobie post-game. Zero heart. Zero grit. Zero basketball IQ. He is by far, the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made.
They had to pay him… not saying that. But just one year of hindsight, it’s now crystal clear and easy to see giving him that money was a massive mistake.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I just hope Ayton doesn't go full Ben Simmons because dude's mentals are not healthy
Last night was as close to Simmons as you can get, without actually being Ben Simmons.
He’s there man… it sucks, but he’s there. This team will now have to battle in spite of Ayton. Kinda always been that way, so last night simply unveiled what’s been perculating under the hood of this team for a long time now.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
What does it matter? Oh that’s right dunks are worth 6 points now I forgot about the rule changes.

I don’t care if you’re shooting behind the back hook shots blind folded if it goes in it goes in.
still worth more than a missed lay-up. a true max players should be able to turn them into an and 1 also

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I hope Book has erased any doubt that he's good enough to be the #1 on a contender. He's raised his level of play so much year in and year out that I think we've been spoiled seeing him do so almost effortlessly on a nightly basis that we take him for granted.
Before these playoffs i was skeptical about having book in the top 5 players for fear of being a homer with rose colored glasses affecting my judgement.... but he is here now, 20/25 in a must win playoff game is no joke, and he is doing it on both ends of the floor in addition to getting boards and dimes

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score

so true. The team has been trying hard to integrate KD in short time, both Book and KD committed quite some turnovers trying to connect to DA on the court to get him more involved on offense. Now we were down 0:2 in the series, the margin for error is very thin to risk those TOs. The best DA can do is to fight for off. rebounds and away from previous comfort zone until CP3 is back to more effectively get him involved on set plays.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst take ever lol
I don't know about worst take ever but I mostly agree with you. Ayton isn't "disinterested" and certainly didn't play like that last night. He truly believes he is doing what the team wants him to do but we can all see that isn't the case so the "disconnected" description is accurate.

Just go back and watch that two minute stretch around 7 to 5 minutes remaining that did him in. As I recall he blew a shot and then fought for the rebound at the other end only to have it stripped from behind but he was working hard and I can't fault his effort or enthusiasm at that point. Watch when Durant goes to the floor, DA isn't the closest teammate but he rushes to his side and offers a hand up. Anyway, we had to bench him, we weren't going to win the game with DA out there but that shows the disconnect - he really thought he was playing his role perfectly. After 5 years, he's still the big teddy bear without a clue.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't know about worst take ever but I mostly agree with you. Ayton isn't "disinterested" and certainly didn't play like that last night. He truly believes he is doing what the team wants him to do but we can all see that isn't the case so the "disconnected" description is accurate.

Just go back and watch that two minute stretch around 7 to 5 minutes remaining that did him in. As I recall he blew a shot and then fought for the rebound at the other end only to have it stripped from behind but he was working hard and I can't fault his effort or enthusiasm at that point. Watch when Durant goes to the floor, DA isn't the closest teammate but he rushes to his side and offers a hand up. Anyway, we had to bench him, we weren't going to win the game with DA out there but that shows the disconnect - he really thought he was playing his role perfectly. After 5 years, he's still the big teddy bear without a clue.
Ron was saying it was KD that's disconnected and disinterested and playing horribly, thus the "worst take ever"

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Couldn’t possibly disagree more with this entire post.
Last night, once & for all, finally put the real Ayton on full display.
He was the reason for the collapse last year against Dallas. He was the reason why we struggled against New Orleans last year. He’s the reason why we struggled this year against the Clippers… not only because of his ineffectiveness on the court, but his attitude off the court and in the locker room. Monty was right to get in DA’s face last post season vs Dallas.
And yet, the punk still never got the message. He got paid, but he refused to get the message. Even with Book and CP3 constantly in his ear… and even with KD chirping at him this post season, he refuses to get the message.

Guys like that are completely unsalvageable. Ayton is Stage 4 cancer that needs to be surgically removed. Period.
No cotteling. He’s toast. He is a massive negative both on and off the court. He’s all but given up which, his fellow brothers won’t tolerate. The team is putting forth incredible effort. Monty is coaching his ass off… and Big Baby Ayton simply wants to collect his paycheck and smoke his doobie post-game. Zero heart. Zero grit. Zero basketball IQ. He is by far, the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made.
They had to pay him… not saying that. But just one year of hindsight, it’s now crystal clear and easy to see giving him that money was a massive mistake.

A bit over the top.. And he's still an important part of the team. Monty is smart enough not to go full nuclear in the middle of a playoff series as you suggest.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Cam Payne had to race down court to get past Gordon so he could make the pass to KD - something CP3 would not have been able to do (at his age) imo
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave