The Ayton Plan

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Kyrie would be a hell of a risk and this team has already taken a big swing with Durant in the fold. I guess I could be talked into doing that trade, but the expectation would be that he would destroy the chemistry in the locker room in 1-2 seasons. There would need to be clear behavioral expectations for him and that this is Book/Durant's team.

As for Ayton, him and Luka get along and that combination would work well together, especially since Ayton would have a fresh start. Ayton is the perfect second option to Luka: Talented enough to take pressure off of Luka to do everything on offense, but not a big enough personality to overshadow him.

TJ

Reaction score
Originally I thought Ayton would improve. But it doesn't matter if his shot has gotten better. His defense (non-defense) is terrible---not just talking man, but his ability to (not) block any shots or intimidate anything. And I've been around a long time and haven't seen anyone this big since Artis Gilmore unable to dunk or take it strong to the basket. Inexcusable. We took a chance & traded one of the best 2-3 defenders in the NBA while keeping an absolute waste of a #1 pick.

That "absolute waste of a #1 pick" was the catalyst to a Finals appearance a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Kyrie would be a hell of a risk and this team has already taken a big swing with Durant in the fold. I guess I could be talked into doing that trade, but the expectation would be that he would destroy the chemistry in the locker room in 1-2 seasons. There would need to be clear behavioral expectations for him and that this is Book/Durant's team.

The Durant/Irving pairing was a disaster in Brooklyn; why would it be any better in Phoenix? You're talking about trying to reason with someone who believes that the earth is flat.

TJ

Reaction score
The Durant/Irving pairing was a disaster in Brooklyn; why would it be any better in Phoenix? You're talking about trying to reason with someone who believes that the earth is flat.

I guess that comes from the desperation of getting Ayton out of here. It boils down to do we want another star on the team or want depth. However, I’ve read that they get along really well.

If I knew there was a deal on the table to get depth, I’d rather have that. However, there will be a massive hole at PG with either a random PG coming to town or the rotting corpse of CP3.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How many games did they actually play together? I know it's not many.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This move would actually kill two birds with one stone. This gets them out from Ayton's contract, and it also allows the team to move on from Chris Paul. This almost makes too much sense. The only thing they better do? You need a legit body to play center. This team can't be without a legit Center and legit PF. You simply can't. You don't have to have stars but you do need serviceable players. The Suns couldn't just pull off this one move.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The record when those two played together was 47-27. The problem wasn't so much the pairing of the two, it was the injuries of one and the frequent unavailability of the other (for many reasons, not just injury). That plus the front office decided to let those two basically run the asylum, I guess figuring it was the cost of bringing in two superstars.

To me, the trade for Durant has created a situation where we are pretty much forced to gamble on a problem child like Kyrie. I don't want him but I suspect he's high on the list of possible mistakes we are hoping to make.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton was much better in game 2 than game 1. His stats were the same, but his defense was a lot better in game 2.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That "absolute waste of a #1 pick" was the catalyst to a Finals appearance a couple of years ago.

Chris Paul was the catalyst to the finals run. Saying Ayton was ignores the fact he produced similar numbers the year prior on a very similar team. We upgraded to CP3 from Rubio and went from playoff hopeful to title contender.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
However, there will be a massive hole at PG with either a random PG coming to town or the rotting corpse of CP3.

True, but if you deal Ayton away, you have a massive hole at C. Somehow the Suns have to address both positions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This move would actually kill two birds with one stone. This gets them out from Ayton's contract, and it also allows the team to move on from Chris Paul. This almost makes too much sense. The only thing they better do? You need a legit body to play center. This team can't be without a legit Center and legit PF. You simply can't. You don't have to have stars but you do need serviceable players. The Suns couldn't just pull off this one move.
You are for this?

It may get us out of Ayton's contract - but then we are stuck with a long term Kyrie one.

And no center.

I understand people here have an almost irrational hatred of Ayton, but I don't think this is smart at all. Kyrie is a team cancer.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The record when those two played together was 47-27. The problem wasn't so much the pairing of the two, it was the injuries of one and the frequent unavailability of the other (for many reasons, not just injury). That plus the front office decided to let those two basically run the asylum, I guess figuring it was the cost of bringing in two superstars.

To me, the trade for Durant has created a situation where we are pretty much forced to gamble on a problem child like Kyrie. I don't want him but I suspect he's high on the list of possible mistakes we are hoping to make.
You forgetting about the disaster he was in Boston?

I don't think his stint with Dallas went to well either.

This is not a guy you want to give big money to.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thing is Gambo does not mention this unless he knows something.

I don't like this at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgetting about the disaster he was in Boston?

I don't think his stint with Dallas went to well either.

This is not a guy you want to give big money to.
I think you missed something there. I'm not advocating for Kyrie in any way. But I do believe we have to make a questionable move, we simply aren't in a position to make safe, well-reasoned decisions.

Kyrie fits the mold of an unsound decision that I could see us pursuing. Can it backfire, absofreakinglutely. But that's the mess we're in since we decided to force open our window a couple years sooner than our talent warranted (talking about the moves from CP3 on).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you missed something there. I'm not advocating for Kyrie in any way. But I do believe we have to make a questionable move, we simply aren't in a position to make safe, well-reasoned decisions.

Kyrie fits the mold of an unsound decision that I could see us pursuing. Can it backfire, absofreakinglutely. But that's the mess we're in since we decided to force open our window a couple years sooner than our talent warranted (talking about the moves from CP3 on).
Listening to Ishiba today and his attitude of getting stars at any cost, and the very real possibility Durant may want to play with Kyrie again this feels all to possible.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are for this?

It may get us out of Ayton's contract - but then we are stuck with a long term Kyrie one.

And no center.

I understand people here have an almost irrational hatred of Ayton, but I don't think this is smart at all. Kyrie is a team cancer.
I am for this if we are still able to make more moves to get a Center and/or PF per my comments. You may have missed that part. Also, I have no irrational hatred of Ayton. I don't hate Ayton. I think he has been a disappointment that has not lived up to his draft position or raw talent. That is not irrational at all.

P.S. This doesn't mean it would be my first choice. I mean if we could get our hands on VanVleet and a PF in a package deal or something I would prefer it. However, to get out from under Ayton's contract, we are likely going to have to take on a risk or another combination of large contracts or an equally large one to match Ayton's. The fact that this is even coming from somewhere in the organization likely means the Suns have reached the point they are willing to entertain the idea of moving Ayton. Not that it actually happens. Unless Ayton completely turns around his play? Ayton's days might be numbered in a Suns uniform.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to Ishiba today and his attitude of getting stars at any cost, and the very real possibility Durant may want to play with Kyrie again this feels all to possible.
Yeah I am and have been absolutely convinced that he is getting his NBA insider advice from Isiah Thomas, it's just so like that guy during his Knicks run. I sort of understood the logic back then but was backed by the biggest market in the league and the salary cap was far different than today's (and that's even before the new one kicks in).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo had an in with Sarver. We'll see how well his sources are now that Sarver is out. I believe he still has connections but I'd be surprised if we swapped Ayton for Kyrie.

I do think Dallas would be a good landing spot for Ayton. Playing with Luka would remove any pressure of being the #1 overall pick taken before him. He'll always be compared to him to a certain extent because of that but if they're playing together their success is linked.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo had an in with Sarver. We'll see how well his sources are now that Sarver is out. I believe he still has connections but I'd be surprised if we swapped Ayton for Kyrie.

I do think Dallas would be a good landing spot for Ayton. Playing with Luka would remove any pressure of being the #1 overall pick taken before him. He'll always be compared to him to a certain extent because of that but if they're playing together their success is linked.
No it wasn't Sarver. He made that clear before. It was someone else in the front office. Remember Gambo went hard after Sarver and yet was still getting info after the scandal broke. He also said he was getting info from one of the other minority owners who shared Sarver's contract info with him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it wasn't Sarver. He made that clear before. It was someone else in the front office. Remember Gambo went hard after Sarver and yet was still getting info after the scandal broke. He also said he was getting info from one of the other minority owners who shared Sarver's contract info with him.
Yeah it was Robert at one time but I don't believe Sarver has been his inside source since Babby took over and put an end to the leaks.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're over the cap.

Also, this would be another very "Knicks" move and IMO, would cement that Thomas is the defacto GM.

I cannot imagine it being anything less than a complete **** show.
You could be totally right but one thing is for sure. Ishbia isn't going to stand pat as our owner.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was Robert at one time but I don't believe Sarver has been his inside source since Babby took over and put an end to the leaks.
That's what I am saying. When Gambo was debunking and giving info all last year he flat out said Sarver wasn't his source. Plus, once he started blasting Sarver and still getting stuff correct that corroborated that.