The Ayton Plan

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sure... I mean, if you want a team that plays well enough to make the post season on a regular basis, but isn't good enough to win it all... than yea, Ayton is your guy. I can't help but wonder if Ayton had just 50% of the determination and drive of Giannis, what kind of dominance we'd see from the Suns.

This is DA's 5th season and he'll turn 25 in July. Yes, it's too early to make permanent conclusions...but, it ain't too early by much. I'd say that if DA doesn't show tangible improvement next season, the die is cast... He will be who he's been... period.
If we’re still waiting on a #1 pick to be “that guy” in his 5th season…. DA is a veteran now, age is irrelevant.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

KD is both skinny and injury prone yet got twice as many rebounds as Ayton and three times as many blocks - while banging on the inside against big badasses like Joker and Gordon - because once again Ayton disappeared. Doesn't matter how many pretty jump shots Ayton makes, that's not what you want from your Center

Ayton is afraid of the paint. Ayton is emotionally fragile. Ayton vanishes on the big stage. You can't even move him to Power Forward because we already have KD. Everybody on the team takes turns calling out or trying to motivate Ayton because if Monty does it - Ayton just checks out completely. He is never going to change so Ayton needs to go - it's that simple.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

KD is both skinny and injury prone yet got twice as many rebounds as Ayton and three times as many blocks - while banging on the inside against big badasses like Joker and Gordon - because once again Ayton disappeared. Doesn't matter how many pretty jump shots Ayton makes, that's not what you want from your Center

Ayton is afraid of the paint. Ayton is emotionally fragile. Ayton vanishes on the big stage. You can't even move him to Power Forward because we already have KD. Everybody on the team takes turns calling out or trying to motivate Ayton because if Monty does it - Ayton just checks out completely. He is never going to change so Ayton needs to go - it's that simple.
It's inexcusable that Ayton's has to be hollered at to hustle in the NBA playoffs. 5 years and he still doesn't get it. He could be the xfactor for the Suns but instead he's a puzzle to be figured out what he'll bring or not. I used to back him but enough is enough. He doesn't the heart nor desire of a champion.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
It's inexcusable that Ayton's has to be hollered at to hustle in the NBA playoffs. 5 years and he still doesn't get it. He could be the xfactor for the Suns but instead he's a puzzle to be figured out what he'll bring or not. I used to back him but enough is enough. He doesn't the heart nor desire of a champion.
I stuck up for him too. Just can't do it anymore. It's a shame because we need him every year in the playoffs and we keep waiting for him to magically mature

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yup... I've been a long time Ayton defender, as well. But I'm pretty close to giving up. Clearly he either doesn't get it or doesn't care.

I might... very slightly might... be inclined to give him one more chance if the Suns replace Monty and we can see what a new and better coaching staff might do with him. But that's about it for me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His vaunted perimeter defense consists of laying off just enough so every player can can 3s and jumpers in his mug.

And if the excuse for his poor rebounding is always he’s pulled away from the basket setting screens, how does he repeatedly get beat down court by slow as molasses joker on a night he only grabbed 7 boards.

I completely understand his vale, and our need for him. But is easily the sports figure, across all AZ teams, that I dislike the most. Present day and historically. And it’s not even close. I don’t even know who #2 is off the top of my head.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has improved every single year until this one. So I have been on him more this year then ever. I had less of an issue with him as long as there was growth.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup... I've been a long time Ayton defender, as well. But I'm pretty close to giving up. Clearly he either doesn't get it or doesn't care.

I might... very slightly might... be inclined to give him one more chance if the Suns replace Monty and we can see what a new and better coaching staff might do with him. But that's about it for me.
He just turned into that dude that I feel most of us had that deep inner feeling about... Worked a bit and got his game where it needed to be for a nice payday, and then turned into the true player he really was. Not passionate, lazy, and immature. The difference between the good orgs and the bad ones right there.. finding and extending the players who give a damn about winning and playing the game in general.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just turned into that dude that I feel most of us had that deep inner feeling about... Worked a bit and got his game where it needed to be for a nice payday, and then turned into the true player he really was. Not passionate, lazy, and immature. The difference between the good orgs and the bad ones right there.. finding and extending the players who give a damn about winning and playing the game in general.
There's a lot to like about DA as a person but he told us before he ever stepped on the court that getting paid was his primary goal. Alarm bells rang and are still ringing. We need him, we can't win big without him. But we'll never really have the guy we need often enough to be happy. It's time for a bitter divorce.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score

I think Monty's might be a factor but hey Ayton's has gotta paid since day one five years ago. And now at salary of $33 million dollars per and you would think he would have a love & competition for the game & that would be enough motivation and just having pride in your work. Should Mark Byrant take some heat for lack of continue development of Ayton too?
Maybe the Suns can't scout, evaluate & develop talent. Heard they pick Book because everybody thought highly of Booker.
10 year ago Suns drafted 7'1" Alex Len #5 overall. Alex said," In ten years I will be the best center in the league." Alex still only 29 today and is a backup center for Sacramento Kings. We had high hopes for Alex Len too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns can't scout, evaluate & develop talent. Heard they pick Book because everybody thought highly of Booker.
10 year ago Suns drafted 7'1" Alex Len #5 overall. Alex said," In ten years I will be the best center in the league." Alex still only 29 today and is a backup center for Sacramento Kings. We had high hopes for Alex Len too.

Ryan McDonough was the Suns GM back then but the question about scouting remains. He missed on so many picks or had problems working with certain players. I do give him credit for drafting Devin Booker and Bogdan Bogdanović.

If Mat Ishbia wants to impress me, I'd like to see him express a strong commitment towards scouting and not just adding a G-League team.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
It's hard to argue Ayton is not a finesse center, although I often hear announcers talk about how strong he is.

Jokic easily moves him out of the way for rebounds.
Yes that's a pitiful display on the that video by Ayton.. Ayton has no common basketball instincts. Maybe he should have played college ball for another year or two. But at that time University of Arizona had Coach Sean Miller who was a college recruiter type not known as a high profile teaching coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that's a pitiful display on the that video by Ayton.. Ayton has no common basketball instincts. Maybe he should have played college ball for another year or two. But at that time University of Arizona had Coach Sean Miller who was a college recruiter type not known as a high profile teaching coach.

If the Suns don't trade Ayton, it might be time to try the power forward experiment.

Put a strong center beside him and see what happens.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns don't trade Ayton, it might be time to try the power forward experiment.

Nooooooo, no no no.

Our 2 superstars both thrive in the mid range game, the last thing we need is a clogged toilet of a lane.

The "2 towers" thing doesn't work anymore unless one of them is a lethal outside shooter (and probably needs to be a play maker too). It's been a complete train wreck for Minnesota and KAT is actually good from the outside.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good morning. Ayton is surely the most frustrating player in Phoenix Suns history since I started watching in 1993. I would say "in Phoenix Suns history" with no qualifier, but I know that there is one other Suns star with a similarly frustrating history: Connie Hawkins. According to the early Suns history that I studied (specif. The Little Team That Could), Hawkins' motor just didn't show up to every game, and Jerry Colangelo tired of it--hence the trade of Hawkins. (Until I read the book, I mistakenly thought Hawkins was on the 1976 finals team. Nope.) Sound familiar? Past generations of the Suns front office and fans have gone through this before. Hope Ayton suffers the fame fate, because he's not earning his pay,

Anyway, I just wondered if other people would be fighting about Ayton, forcing the mods to intervene again.

I think the frustration with Ayton is near universal. The level of frustration varies, some have outright loathing, others hope he will turn the corner with different guidance... but I don't think anyone is thrilled.

I don't really recall the mods having to intervene on Ayton topics. It's "the trade" that fuels the vitriol.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think they have to trade him. Quite possibly the worst thing they could do is try him at PF and get lackluster results, which would further damage his value around the league.

His value isnt as high right now as it's been but it's unlikely to get any higher going forward. Cut bait, get what we can, and try to forget he ever existed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave