2023 4th round pick #122 is Jon Gaines II G

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Feel like Gaines is going to be center.

Played there before, including the Shrine bowl. Athletic. Highly intelligent. High football IQ.

I think that's what they want at center.

This isn't us converting a guard. He can already do it and only played G due to the UCLA roster makeup.
I like this nugget.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ratings are all over the place for this kid. nfldraft buzz rates him #41 at his position. Somebody has him as #11 OG. Others don't have him ranked at all.

These draft analyses are entertainment and not much more than that
I think you didn't understand what I meant. Wasn't talking about his play, but only about his athleticism. Thought that someone (was it you?) said that he was slow and yet I read he was an elite athlete. Didn't make sense to me.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you didn't understand what I meant. Wasn't talking about his play, but only about his athleticism. Thought that someone (was it you?) said that he was slow and yet I read he was an elite athlete. Didn't make sense to me.
It was someone else. His foot speed and agility is his strength. I am not even aure why I quoted you in particular!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the idea of a guy that plays inside and has played C is such a surprise to play C full time.

The Chiefs drafted Mitch Morse at #49 to play C and he'd never snapped a ball in college. He was a tackle.

He started at C his rookie year.

I'm sure there are plenty more. That's if he is going to play C, he may not.

(Matt Birk another college tackle)

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the idea of a guy that plays inside and has played C is such a surprise to play C full time.

The Chiefs drafted Mitch Morse at #49 to play C and he'd never snapped a ball in college. He was a tackle.

Who is their starter stud center?

Creed Humphrey a center drafted to play center

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this pick. Very athletic lineman. I'd wager they are considering him as a center.

Could end up the pick of the draft. A guy with that athleticism and intelligence is primed for center.

Here's one of his starts vs LSU. His very first snap stands out. It's not all great which is why he's in round 4 but he's nice on the move.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Feel like Gaines is going to be center.

Played there before, including the Shrine bowl. Athletic. Highly intelligent. High football IQ.

I think that's what they want at center.

This isn't us converting a guard. He can already do it and only played G due to the UCLA roster makeup.
Honestly, I feel like you're just trying to provoke people here. "See, see, you got your center--be happy, peons!" lol Which is weird because you consider this a terrible "center" class. Unless this was the guy you retroactively say you wanted at center all along? I mean, come one, man.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like you're just trying to provoke people here. "See, see, you got your center--be happy, peons!" lol Which is weird because you consider this a terrible "center" class. Unless this was the guy you retroactively say you wanted at center all along? I mean, come one, man.

It was a bad center class for those players we looked at at Center. Nobody looked at Gaines as a Center in the larger draft world so we never considered him. The Cards, having met him and scouted him, may see him as a Center that was better than what was available that played C in college.

I'm not in any way saying "Be happy, peons". Not sure how you get that. I'm simply speculating that all the things being said about Gaines (highly intelligent, great football IQ etc) are things you want in a Center and as we are pretty heavy at Guard on the roster they may well see him as a Center convert. Like Rodney Hudson was.

Steve Avila was my favorite prospect for center. I've said it a number of times. That tells you how much I liked the center class. The whole IOL line class in this draft was consistently touted as one of the weakest groups by experts.

Stout

Reaction score
It was a bad center class for those players we looked at at Center. Nobody looked at Gaines as a Center in the larger draft world so we never considered him. The Cards, having met him and scouted him, may see him as a Center that was better than what was available that played C in college.

I'm not in any way saying "Be happy, peons". Not sure how you get that. I'm simply speculating that all the things being said about Gaines (highly intelligent, great football IQ etc) are things you want in a Center and as we are pretty heavy at Guard on the roster they may well see him as a Center convert. Like Rodney Hudson was.

Steve Avila was my favorite prospect for center. I've said it a number of times. That tells you how much I liked the center class. The whole IOL line class in this draft was consistently touted as one of the weakest groups by experts.
You can state that as fact as much as you want, but lol

Otherwise, the amount of spin trying to pimp Gaines as the center of the future here is, well, head spinning. It may just be your eternal optimism, but I knew for a fact before I ever entered this thread that you'd be all over this thread talking about Gaines as a center.I think it's you trying to see the positive in everything because maybe, if you don't, you'll go full-on dark side? I'm giving the benefit of the doubt because otherwise it's baffling how often you pick hills to die on arguing with anyone that isn't all positive all the time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can state that as fact as much as you want, but lol

Otherwise, the amount of spin trying to pimp Gaines as the center of the future here is, well, head spinning. It may just be your eternal optimism, but I knew for a fact before I ever entered this thread that you'd be all over this thread talking about Gaines as a center.I think it's you trying to see the positive in everything because maybe, if you don't, you'll go full-on dark side? I'm giving the benefit of the doubt because otherwise it's baffling how often you pick hills to die on arguing with anyone that isn't all positive all the time.
Ossenfort and Sears directly talked about Gaines to center in their presser. They said he was one of the sharpest players they talked to and because they already have seen him play center, it could be an easy transition for him.

Once the top guys were gone, you essentially had a bandit of misfit toys leftover. You can choose to draft a guys with less than ideal traits or you can draft a Jon Gaines who has  elite athletic traits and is incredibly smart and move him to a position he has already played in the past.

Sears has an outstanding record as a scout, so I'll trust his judgement here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

You don't even have to speculate at this point since it was directly talked about in the post draft presser.

Stout

Reaction score
Ossenfort and Sears directly talked about Gaines to center in their presser. They said he was one of the sharpest players they talked to and because they already have seen him play center, it could be an easy transition for him.

Once the top guys were gone, you essentially had a bandit of misfit toys leftover. You can choose to draft a guys with less than ideal traits or you can draft a Jon Gaines who has  elite athletic traits and is incredibly smart and move him to a position he has already played in the past.

Sears has an outstanding record as a scout, so I'll trust his judgement here.
That's great and all, and having a later round OL draft pick pan out would be more than due. Huge difference between plugging in a Tippman or Schmitz and hoping this guy eventually develops, though.

Like you said in another thread, the team set out its priorities and rankings, and however much I might dispute some of those, they definitely stuck to their guns. Here's hoping they're right, I'm wrong, and Gaines is the guy in the future. 'Cause we desperately need a center. I still don't see a starter on our roster, and I don't see a starter in FA that'll keep Murray from running for his life.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's great and all, and having a later round OL draft pick pan out would be more than due. Huge difference between plugging in a Tippman or Schmitz and hoping this guy eventually develops, though.

Like you said in another thread, the team set out its priorities and rankings, and however much I might dispute some of those, they definitely stuck to their guns. Here's hoping they're right, I'm wrong, and Gaines is the guy in the future. 'Cause we desperately need a center. I still don't see a starter on our roster, and I don't see a starter in FA that'll keep Murray from running for his life.
I don't either. Outside of JMS though, I don't think any of the other center prospects would comfortably be day one starters. And like I said, after passing on Anderson for a crazy amount of picks, the Cardinals still HAD TO add am edge guy. After round two, there wasn't any edge guys worth a damn, so they were correct on adding Ojulari when they did. The draft almost always has an opportunity cost aspect to it.

But Rome wasn't built in a day, so this is a year for patience. Next year when they have two top ten picks and they draft Marvin Harrison Jr, we will all say how worth it going through this was.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Could end up the pick of the draft. A guy with that athleticism and intelligence is primed for center.

Here's one of his starts vs LSU. His very first snap stands out. It's not all great which is why he's in round 4 but he's nice on the move.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wait a second. Who's that LSU #18 club he's blocking? Isn't that our LSU #18 club?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

(Matt Birk another college tackle)
I bet he can't beat out Smith.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson