Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-25-2023 - Game 5

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually yes as it’s been pointed out he goes into a prevent. It’s pretty much kill pace abs milk the clock
With a 24 second click it’s almost impossible to effectively milk it

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact is the Suns are a talented team... like championship level talented... with the handicap of an incompetent coach. Our talent may still be enough to prevail, but it's going to be in spite of, not because of, the head coach. He's a real threat to wreck it all.

They have a good enough 1 and 2 to be a contender but the 3-10th men aren't championship level guys. Look at title teams throughout history and there's always a clutch shooter off the bench, for example, we don't have that. We don't have a consistent 3rd option either. We don't have a lot of things that make this a championship level roster.

After KD and Book, Ayton is the only other player that would be a starter on probably half the teams in the league. CP3 wouldn't be in the rotation as more than a backup in Boston or Denver, who are legit contenders. Craig and Okogie would be situational role players while they're are 5th and 6th best players. That doesn't make a championship level roster. Monty isn't the issue, depth is.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was Craig hurt or something? Why was he not in the closing lineup.
That’s the only thing I can think of. Maybe Craig was hurt.
Even if he was? Shamet?!?!?!? LOL
Bad offensive sets, bad defensive sets, not calling a timeout after the 2nd three….I mean….Monty’s strategy down the stretch almost cost them this game.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Putting Shamet in at the end made no sense but the lead had evaporated by poor play by virtually everyone. Can't blame Monty for bad shots, no defensive effort, and bad passes. I do think the Shamet sub was bad, really bad, but all this Monty bashing is ridiculous. Only 1 person here said something positive about Monty in that colossal 3rd quarter. I think that speaks to how some view Monty as a scapegoat now who can do nothing right. Oh well.

Suns onto Denver and that means Suns in 4!
The fact this team was chucking back to back threes with a 15 pt lead and 6-7 minutes left was all Monty IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Putting Shamet in at the end made no sense but the lead had evaporated by poor play by virtually everyone. Can't blame Monty for bad shots, no defensive effort, and bad passes. I do think the Shamet sub was bad, really bad, but all this Monty bashing is ridiculous. Only 1 person here said something positive about Monty in that colossal 3rd quarter. I think that speaks to how some view Monty as a scapegoat now who can do nothing right. Oh well.

Suns onto Denver and that means Suns in 4!
I’m not sure I credit Booker going HAM in the third to . . . Monty beyond letting the hot hand roll.

And do you understand the reason for the bad play by everyone? Here are exhibits A and B:

A) we have no answer for doubles in book. I have been saying this for two years now. If they are doubling that literally means we have an advantage somewhere. That’s something you draw up. Monty has no answer.

B) the idiotic four corners. What does that do? It initiates the offense extremely late in the shot clock which means you have zero room for error. If there’s even decent defense you’re scrambling for whatever shot or pass you can get. It makes sense with 1-2 minutes left with a lead of 6-8. It does NOT make sense at 4+ minutes. And it does NOT make sense when it’s a two possession game. It destroys your offense. That’s all monty. ALL MONTY. Could the players rise above and make godlike plays? Sure. But depending upon that is for poor coaches.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They have a good enough 1 and 2 to be a contender but the 3-10th men aren't championship level guys. Look at title teams throughout history and there's always a clutch shooter off the bench, for example, we don't have that. We don't have a consistent 3rd option either. We don't have a lot of things that make this a championship level roster.

After KD and Book, Ayton is the only other player that would be a starter on probably half the teams in the league. CP3 wouldn't be in the rotation as more than a backup in Boston or Denver, who are legit contenders. Craig and Okogie would be situational role players while they're are 5th and 6th best players. That doesn't make a championship level roster. Monty isn't the issue, depth is.
Man… you completely took the words straight outta my mouth! Well done bro!!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do we just let them roll the ball to half court? So many questionable things.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only thing I had an issue with during all that bull crap is not letting Durant touch the ball during the run. Give it to that Clipps bench. I wish we had them dudes holy cow they got freaking hot

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Oh my these threads are fun to read.

So. The torches and pitchforks are out for Monty. Wonder if James Jones and Ishbia see it the way most of you do. Those guys both understand basketball.

Monty couldn’t adjust to rainy weather if you gave him a rain coat, galoshes, and an umbrella. Dude is incapable of making and changes on the fly. It happened against Milwaukee in 21 and against Dallas in 22.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just think if Westbrook signed with us....man. Monty probably wouldn't have played him. Shamet is our stud 6 man

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, Monty makes some crap decisions at times....but yeah, both things can be true.

Monty isn't perfect. I don't think the grass is greener with any available coaches out there. If Quinn Snyder were still available, I'd be a bit more intrigued by moving on but ditching the guy who has done nothing but overachieve with the rosters he's had isn't the right move.

We'll see if he puts Shamet into a close game again. Hopefully that doesn't happen. That was the only truly idiotic thing he did this game. I put more on the players than Monty as he can only do so much on the sideline.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry...just watching Paul play like garbage.
Dude… being the biggest company man for the most wretched franchise in sports while being nothing but a Suns troll for a team that is actually successful AND wins playoff series is comical.