Playoffs: Suns @ Clippers Thursday game thread 4-20-2023 - Game 3

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very likely three in a row without their first, which is what I keep saying. Please stop arguing about this.
They still will have 1st round picks every other year. Most of those picks will not equate to anything until the very last couple picks. By that time the team will likely move guys to restock. There is also draft day trades.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Book can’t be consistent navigating double teams. Plus, it’s like you have not watched this team and seen them double book and take the ball out of his hands when he has no help.

I don’t disagree with you that we have not seen the Superstar KD.

Dude is still average 26 points per game. When is the last time Book had someone averaging that many points as the 2nd scorer? Statistically he still a top 10 in the playoffs. When is the last time Book was on a team with two top playoff scorers?
So… Is it fair to suggest that this team, as currently built, is not winning a championship this year? I think so and in fact, I think it’s a fait accompli.
Therefore, the only thing I/we can hope is that Jones has a miraculous off-season that can somehow fix what is clearly, a broken team. And do it in a way that can make sense of trading Bridges and Cam for KD. Because right now in this moment, with this team, it’s hard to justify the trade. Unless you feel the trade is validated merely because Book now has a guy who can reliably put up 20+?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What that he could step and score with guys out? Yeah, I was one of them. Not one poster says he could be the main star on another team. If so, show me.
There was someone that said he could be book. I don’t recall who, but there was one poster who said it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Well, no I meant the new normal. I've had League Pass since it started and I never used to be impacted by blackouts unless the Suns were playing in Vancouver or Philly. Now, I get blacked out all the time although fortunately most of the time all I have to do is search for the channel that isn't blocked out. But the new part for me is seeing it happen with postseason games, I hadn't noticed that before.
I see. Tonight was not normal. Somebody screwed up majorly. Where I am, all Lakers and Clipper games on NBATV are blacked out but then they are on Spectrum and Bally respectively. Tonight NBATV AND the Clippers Bally station were blacked out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you been watching the last 2.5 games when Bridges has shot 17-45… a BEYOND PATHETIC 27%.

Doing his annual Shawn Marion tortilla playoff performance. On cue.

But he’d be averaging 27/7/7 here on 61% shooting like KD.

Okay.
Yeah, but look what cam has done. It’s a package deal

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So… Is it fair to suggest that this team, as currently built, is not winning a championship this year? I think so and in fact, I think it’s a fait accompli.
Therefore, the only thing I/we can hope is that Jones has a miraculous off-season that can somehow fix what is clearly, a broken team. And do it in a way that can make sense of trading Bridges and Cam for KD. Because right now in this moment, with this team, it’s hard to justify the trade. Unless you feel the trade is validated merely because Book now has a guy who can reliably put up 20+?
Your first question. That very well could be true. Guess what? We were not winning a title as built either. So, the Suns took a chance. Have no clue if it works out or not.

You justify the trade by history. How the team played and those players played the last two years in the playoffs.

Have you seen Bridges numbers that Cheese posted?

I have no idea if the trade is validated. Neither do you. I am going to wait until this post season and next year is over (because I doubt KD can do it beyond that) before I finally judge this trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's very likely three in a row without their first, which is what I keep saying. Please stop arguing about this.
Okay, 3 without their first maybe (who knows where both these clubs will be in four years, the swap may not occur). But still having a first. And I’m not really arguing, just pointing out facts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What that he could step and score with guys out? Yeah, I was one of them. Not one poster says he could be the main star on another team. If so, show me.

You are moving the bar. Bridges and Cam Johnson were on their way up.

Several of us would not have made the trade for Durant because the Suns gave up too much to get him.

This has already been discussed at length and your position is already known.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are moving the bar. Bridges and Cam Johnson were on their way up.

Several of us would not have made the trade for Durant because the Suns gave up too much to get him.

This has already been discussed at length and your position is already known.
How am I moving the bar when I was one of the ones pointing out that Bridges stepped up while guys are out. I repeat nobody predicted Bridges would be the main guy on a bad team.

Your position is clearly known as well.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Your first question. That very well could be true. Guess what? We were not winning a title as built either. So, the Suns took a chance. Have no clue if it works out or not.

You justify the trade by history. How the team played and those players played the last two years in the playoffs.

Have you seen Bridges numbers that Cheese posted?

I have no idea if the trade is validated. Neither do you. I am going to wait until this post season and next year is over (because I doubt KD can do it beyond that) before I finally judge this trade.
I agree. But the standard of judgment of this trade, at least for me, is a Championship. Anything less and the trade is a failure.
And to add, if we don’t win a Championship with KD, I think it’s fair to wonder what might’ve happened if we had stuck with Bridges and Cam.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How am I moving the bar when I was one of the ones pointing out that Bridges stepped up while guys are out. I repeat nobody predicted Bridges would be the main guy on a bad team.

Because now it seems you're saying he couldn't be a #2, which is all KD has been to Booker, a sidekick. Bridges could have filled that role, in fact he was well on his way on his way to filling that role here before he was traded away for KD.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. But the standard of judgment of this trade, at least for me, is a Championship. Anything less and the trade is a failure.
And to add, if we don’t win a Championship with KD, I think it’s fair to wonder what might’ve happened if we had stuck with Bridges and Cam.
We agree. The result are not in for this year or next. As I have stated many times, this trade very well could be aa failure by the end of next year.

I also agree it’s fair for you to wonder what would have happened had we kept them.

IMO, it wouldn’t have gotten us anywhere for two reasons. Bridges wouldn’t be playing the same role he always did and you are depending on Monty to have utilized him correctly. Even then, I don’t think it was enough. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because now it seems you're saying he couldn't be a #2, which is all KD has been to Booker, a sidekick. Bridges could have filled that role, in fact he was well on his way on his way to filling that role here before he was traded away for KD.
On this team no. Bridges has never averaged 26 in the playoffs. It took him being a main scorer on a bad team to accomplish that. Monty never would have utilize him any differently than he did before the trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No one predicted Mikal Bridges would be a star this season before he was traded. However, those with knowing eyes saw he had turned the corner and was on his way up.

Cam Johnson was a starter as well and I'm not even going to get into the rest of the trade which included 4 unprotected first round picks and a swap.

The Suns had a nice young core to build around which would have kept them as a contender for years to come.

I'm glad my position is known but like all Suns fans I want the Suns and Durant to succeed. There is no going back.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one predicted Mikal Bridges would be a star this season before he was traded. However, those with knowing eyes saw he had turned the corner and was on his way up.

Cam Johnson was a starter as well and I'm not even going to get into the rest of the trade which included 4 unprotected first round picks and a swap.

The Suns had a nice young core to build around which would have kept them as a contender for years to come.

I'm glad my position is known but like all Suns fans I want the Suns and Durant to succeed. There is no going back.
You seem to be forgetting this team lacked any toughness once McGee was gone and Crowder was not in the starting lineup. Cam J was not the answer. This team had rebounding problems then and now.

Also, yes, it’s pretty well established how you feel about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard