Hey, Kyler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a cost to not being super-engaging with your bosses anyone except a small circle of team mates.

Had to fix that.

I can't remember a QB in recent history where so much of his own fan base was so meh about him after only 4 years. This should still be Kyler's honeymoon period.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
?

Have you not followed the NFL before until a year ago?
I think it's fair to say that it's surprising that a QB who has had as much success as Kyler has had isn't a bigger deal in his home market. Maybe he's a big star in the Dallas area or something.

Here? Lotta kids wear Kyler jerseys but adults are probably evenly split between Kyler and J.J. Watt despite Kyler being here twice as long.

Kyler makes being a star quarterback look like no fun at all. So weird.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that it's surprising that a QB who has had as much success as Kyler has had isn't a bigger deal in his home market. Maybe he's a big star in the Dallas area or something.

Here? Lotta kids wear Kyler jerseys but adults are probably evenly split between Kyler and J.J. Watt despite Kyler being here twice as long.

Right? You shouldn't be able to have your TV on for several hours without seeing at least one Kyler commercial for something in Arizona or seeing him talk to a local reporter on a sports show or something, but there is nothing like that at all. Even after, in his words, he said he is "all-in on Arizona." The optics are bad. It appears that we are just a place he works and collects his paychecks until he can return home to Texas.

If someone was paying me $250,000,000, I'd make myself at home in whichever state their team represented. I'd want to lead that team and be popular with the fans and help those communities, etc. Like JJ Watt.

Want to live in Texas in the offseason? Go for it. It's not that far away, but while you're in Arizona embrace it and make your time here the best it can be. Be visible and social. Don't just play football and Call of Duty. SMH. There is only one example I can think of in which he actually did this - when he attended a high school football game with some of the Cardinals who played here locally. Would like to see more of stuff like that from the young man.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’ll probably just sit back and let Hollywood Brown defend him. LOL

Honestly, Beachum is right. Kyler just needs to grow up and become a better leader and the talk will go away. He has regressed and is being called out on it.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

As far as jersey sales go, Kyler is still the best selling Cards jersey. It seems like that would be obvious with him being the QB, but 19 other teams have jerseys for players other than QBs as their top seller.

Jersey sales obviously aren't the only measure of popularity, but it is a piece of the equation.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He shouldn't respond. His actions should do all the talking. Starting some kind of little spat with Beachum would fit into what Beachum is saying exactly. He would be acting like a teenager.
What Beachum is doing is dirty harry cop justice. Airing out the laundry not once but twice in public. Beachum is a replacement level starter and if Beachum played good maybe Murray would have performed better last year too.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Right? You shouldn't be able to have your TV on for several hours without seeing at least one Kyler commercial for something in Arizona or seeing him talk to a local reporter on a sports show or something, but there is nothing like that at all. Even after, in his words, he said he is "all-in on Arizona." The optics are bad. It appears that we are just a place he works and collects his paychecks until he can return home to Texas.

If someone was paying me $250,000,000, I'd make myself at home in whichever state their team represented. I'd want to lead that team and be popular with the fans and help those communities, etc. Like JJ Watt.

Want to live in Texas in the offseason? Go for it. It's not that far away, but while you're in Arizona embrace it and make your time here the best it can be. Be visible and social. Don't just play football and Call of Duty. SMH. There is only one example I can think of in which he actually did this - when he attended a high school football game with some of the Cardinals who played here locally. Would like to see more of stuff like that from the young man.

Yeah. I dunno. I'm kind of with @DVontel on this that Kyler can do what he wants. I'd prefer it if he settled into the Devin Booker role as face of the franchise, but that's not on him.

I thought for a long time that the Cards front office didn't like/trust Kyler enough to market him that way; today I'm thinking that Kyler doesn't want to be involved with the team who came up with #birdcity because they're literally several cuts below everything he's ever dealt with.

Would I like it if the Arizona Cardinals starting quarterback gave off less sour vibes? 100%. I'm not going to flame him for it; part of what's great about being young and rich is you get to do what you want.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even as someone with big doubts about Kyler, it seems like some look for any reason to find fault with him over nothingburgers.
+100.

It is not even the best players on team taking shots. A replacement level starter going off on starting QB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah. I dunno. I'm kind of with @DVontel on this that Kyler can do what he wants. I'd prefer it if he settled into the Devin Booker role as face of the franchise, but that's not on him.

I thought for a long time that the Cards front office didn't like/trust Kyler enough to market him that way; today I'm thinking that Kyler doesn't want to be involved with the team who came up with #birdcity because they're literally several cuts below everything he's ever dealt with.

Would I like it if the Arizona Cardinals starting quarterback gave off less sour vibes? 100%. I'm not going to flame him for it; part of what's great about being young and rich is you get to do what you want.
Agreed. I just don't want to hear people whine about Kyler not being more beloved in Arizona. It is similar to the home crowd turnout. Don't complain about visiting fans if you can't put out a consistently winning product.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The Cardinals franchise is full of snakes. I like Kyler staying away from the 33rd best franchise in the league.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe he just doesn't like paying for meals at the training facility. He maybe just prefers his mama or Dads cooking. He probably trains in better quality facilities in Dallas too.

But, really, who gives an ef? I would guess a very significant fraction of NFL players go back to their home states in the off-season. Especially single guys.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he just doesn't like paying for meals at the training facility. He maybe just prefers his mama or Dads cooking. He probably trains in better quality facilities in Dallas too.

But, really, who gives an ef? I would guess a very significant fraction of NFL players go back to their home states in the off-season. Especially single guys.
Then don't claim to be all-in on Arizona.

Ironically, I think he was in Dallas when he said that, too. LOL

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol, how the hell is Beachum not getting slandered for doubling-down on the dirty laundry he has aired out like a 16 year old female?

Beachum could be Trent Williams & Kyler could be Nathan Peterman & I would still feel the same.

I know Kyler is unlikable around these parts, but Beachum continuing to put a teammate on blast is just some weird high school sh/crap. Kyler could’ve stooped to Beachum’s level in public, but he has refused.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is Brian in Mesa to tell an athlete how they should feel or be?
Just a fan with an opinion on a message board.

A fan who is a longtime season ticket holder and has seen how NFL players have lived and acted in the Valley of the Sun since 1988.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol, how the hell is Beachum not getting slandered for doubling-down on the dirty laundry he has aired out like a 16 year old female?

Beachum could be Trent Williams & Kyler could be Nathan Peterman & I would still feel the same.

I know Kyler is unlikable around these parts, but Beachum continuing to put a teammate on blast is just some weird high school sh/crap. Kyler could’ve stooped to Beachum’s level in public, but he has refused.
Well, by his own admission, Gannon has not heard or read any of these comments so I don't know who else would address it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you actually listened to the comments either time he has shared them?

He says he feels Kyler has what it takes to be a leader and he has shown some progress, but in his opinion (which he and others are entitled to have, right?) he feels Kyler needs to grow up and be a man. Step up even more and be a strong leader. He says he feels he has it in him.

Everyone took the comment about growing up and ran with it which is the only reason he repeated it when asked about it in another interview. Personally, I like a guy like Beachum who says what he feels and doesn't back down or try to redefine what he previously said. He said what he said and he stands behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose