Indy Rumor from a Good Source - Cards not active in Free Agency due to trading down

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But we should be ok as far back as 18 if that brings with it multiple future 1sts.
If moving from 3 to 18 doesn't include at least 3 future 1sts, it's a total waste of effort.

There is a reason the worst teams get top picks- that's where all the top players are! In case you hadn't noticed, we're in desperate need of premium players, so trading down to 18 would be a funny way of filling holes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Except that said strategy has been horribly executed for the greater part of our existence. I look at the draft like this. What's better odds to choose from, 2 keys to one Bentley, or 28 keys to 3 BMW's and 25 Hyundai Sonatas? If we're going to go with the 28 key option, we better grab all 3 of those BMW's.
good analogy because 25 Hyundais will have lower maintenance costs than 3 BMW's or 1 Bentley

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If moving from 3 to 18 doesn't include at least 3 future 1sts, it's a total waste of effort.

There is a reason the worst teams get top picks- that's where all the top players are! In case you hadn't noticed, we're in desperate need of premium players, so trading down to 18 would be a funny way of filling holes.
According to the adoring chart #3 is worth 2200 points and number 18 is worth 900 points. I'd agree that 3 mid to late 1st round picks is absolutely required.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yeah I want a huge ransome moving down that far. Now I could see it working if the Cardinals ended up with Bresee or Van Ness.

If I'm moving down, I would try to move down in like 5 pick increments and each time, getting multiple firsts and seconds.

The hypothetical trade down with Atlanta of two 1sts, two 2nds, and third, and the another move down of 2 1sts and an additional 2nd would mean that the Cardinals would have a 1st, two 2nds, and three 3rds in 2023 and then three 1sts, three 2nds, and a 3rd in 2024. That would be an insane haul and one that could build a really good roster that is cost controlled for awhile. It would also give the Cardinals the ability to move up in 2024 which is an even better draft than this one.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the only way we can even hope to add an "impact" player this year has got to be with our first round pick. Im at about 85% just stay put and take Anderson. He is a really good prospect and fills a need. Its hard to mess this one up.

If, and this is a huge IF,...we either think we have a larger need elsewhere, or Anderson is not a great fit in our new scheme....then trading down but still getting THE top player that we covet is really important. I dont even want to trade down and end up with a 2nd option.

If the cards have a 1st option....1A plan that involves trading down and taking the #1 CB on the board, or an OLineman or something like that....fine. I can live with that. I just dont want the 2nd or 3rd or 4th best player at a position. I want us to target a player and then go about getting them in the most effective way possible.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Zach Allen is currently the Highest Paid defensive player on the Broncos with the most guaranteed money.

Good on Zach! I'm happy for him.
I don't really see why "most guaranteed money" should be the metric here. Justin Simmons, Randy Gregory, D.J. Jones, and Josey Jewell all have higher cap numbers than Allen this year.

From a personal perspective way to go Zach. From a team perspective his cap charge grows as his expected contribution to the defense does.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really see why "most guaranteed money" should be the metric here. Justin Simmons, Randy Gregory, D.J. Jones, and Josey Jewell all have higher cap numbers than Allen this year.

From a personal perspective way to go Zach. From a team perspective his cap charge grows as his expected contribution to the defense does.

Without the Guaranteed money, a guy like Gregory can easily be cut. So while Gregory may have signed a $70m contract he won't see anywhere close to that. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if Gregory is cut from the Broncos next year with 3 years still remaining on his contract. That's why I brought up the guarantees.

Allen's salary is fully guaranteed his first two seasons. He isn't going anywhere even if he completely sucks for the Broncos next year. With his signing bonus even if they wait to cut him in in final year they still end up with $7.5M in dead money. That is a great deal for Zach! He is guaranteed to see at least 71% of the $45M he signed for. There is very little funny money in the contract. He got a ton of guaranteed money on a shorter contract that allows him to go after another big contract as he is hitting his prime.

So he is set either way. If he doesn't live up to expectations he already has the guaranteed money. If he has a decent 3 years he can then parlay that into another contract from some other team. Whoever his agent is did a fantastic job IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Using the Trey Lance package as a barometer…

Cards trade down to #11 and get Tennessee’s 1st rd pick this year, next year and 2025 plus a day two pick. The downside is the Titans not being bad enough to completely bottom out like the Falcons or Raiders.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
If I could accumulate 6+ additional top 90 picks for each of the 2023 & 2024 drafts by trading down multiple times in 2022, I'm doing that every day of the week.

Reaction score
Nah just everything Players used to respect each other more the rules were simpler sure injuries are always more common players played with a toughness and attitude that just seems lacking anymore to me maybe Ime wrong but it just seems that way to me
What happened to grammar & punctuation? This is difficult to get the point you are trying to make.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose