Zach Allen Signs with Denver

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So who do you think were our primary personnel in a four-man front?

Last year? Golden, Watt, Allen, Whoever the hell they could round up.

Early on the 4th guy was Kennard or Gardeck. But was often a rotation of Dimukeje, Sanders and Thomas. Depending on the stage of the season it was more one or the other. airly often Watt was on the Edge. Very rarely Allen.

I logged it once vs the Raiders. We played more 4-3 that day than most of the season.

Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Allen Golden
Allen Golden
Gardeck Golden (3-4)
Fotu Kennard
Allen Kennard
Kennard Dimukeje
Kennard Dimukeje
Watt Golden
Golden Thomas (White boy, can't see number)
Golden Gardeck
Kennard Gardeck
Dogbe Dimukeje
Dimukeje Golden
Kennard Golden
Watt Golden
Gardeck Golden
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Golden Kennard
Golden Gardeck (3-4)
Kennard Golden
Dimukeje Kennard
Dimukeje Kennard
Dimukeje Kennard
Watt Golden
Kennard Golden
Kennard Golden
Kennard Golden
Dimukeje Kennard
Kennard Mystery White Boy (Thomas?)
Watt Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Golden Collins (3-4)
Gardeck Golden
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Golden
Dimukeje Golden
Golden Gardeck (3-4)
Watt Golden
Collins Golden (3-4)
Watt Kennard
Dimukeje Collins (3-4)
Fotu Kennard
Dimukeje Kennard (3-4)
Dimukeje Golden (3-4)
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Golden (3-4)
Dimukeje Golden (3-4)
Golden Gardeck
Golden Gardeck (3-4)
Watt Golden
Gardeck Golden (3-4)
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Collins (3-4)
Watt Collins
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Collins (3-4)
Golden Gardeck
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Fotu Golden
Gardeck Golden (3-4)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And the new GM has let one of our young defensive players walk. Sure, Monti was dropped into a bad situation, but he has not improved it in that aspect.

So with 1 day of FA down and not signing one guy you wanted to keep that's it? Monti is a let down?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The contribution on the field between Thompson and Allen isn't comparable.
Yes- Allen was more productive this year. Thompson was better the previous year, but Allen was the better player in 2022.
There is zero flash in Allen's game. He's a good guy and a decent player, but, again IMO, his game is maxed out...he is what he is. I do not think for a minute he's going to go to Denver and light the world on fire.
Maxed out? He played 2021 on a busted ankle, then was much better in 2022. He's at exactly the right age to continue to improve, so no idea why you think he's maxed out.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So with 1 day of FA down and not signing one guy you wanted to keep that's it? Monti is a let down?
Didn't you just post a joke about no one being able to make a nuanced post? What part of "in that aspect" didn't you read? lol He was given a very difficult task: two young, talented players who had not been extended when they should have been. If they weren't re-signed, you have to A) Sign replacements in FA, who will not be as young, talented, or cheap, more than likely, or B)Draft replacements, pray they're at least as good, and not draft at other positions. Neither A nor B are enviable choices. Now we are talentless on the D-line--unless you can spin it in any other way--and have to invest more in that area to even regain the status quo. Hopefully he can bring Murphy back so we don't have yet another roster hole to fill.

So, yes, in the fact that he failed to re-sign Allen, Monti let the team down. Whether it could have been done is another discussion, but he wasn't hired for "aw shucks, well, we tried," now was he?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes- Allen was more productive this year. Thompson was better the previous year, but Allen was the better player in 2022.

Maxed out? He played 2021 on a busted ankle, then was much better in 2022. He's at exactly the right age to continue to improve, so no idea why you think he's maxed out.
Because he didn’t re-sign with us. If he had the company men would be hailing him as HOF bound.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Last year? Golden, Watt, Allen, Whoever the hell they could round up.

Early on the 4th guy was Kennard or Gardeck. But was often a rotation of Dimukeje, Sanders and Thomas. Depending on the stage of the season it was more one or the other. airly often Watt was on the Edge. Very rarely Allen.

I logged it once vs the Raiders. We played more 4-3 that day than most of the season.

Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Allen Golden
Allen Golden
Gardeck Golden (3-4)
Fotu Kennard
Allen Kennard
Kennard Dimukeje
Kennard Dimukeje
Watt Golden
Golden Thomas (White boy, can't see number)
Golden Gardeck
Kennard Gardeck
Dogbe Dimukeje
Dimukeje Golden
Kennard Golden
Watt Golden
Gardeck Golden
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Golden Kennard
Golden Gardeck (3-4)
Kennard Golden
Dimukeje Kennard
Dimukeje Kennard
Dimukeje Kennard
Watt Golden
Kennard Golden
Kennard Golden
Kennard Golden
Dimukeje Kennard
Kennard Mystery White Boy (Thomas?)
Watt Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Gardeck Golden
Golden Collins (3-4)
Gardeck Golden
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Golden
Dimukeje Golden
Golden Gardeck (3-4)
Watt Golden
Collins Golden (3-4)
Watt Kennard
Dimukeje Collins (3-4)
Fotu Kennard
Dimukeje Kennard (3-4)
Dimukeje Golden (3-4)
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Golden (3-4)
Dimukeje Golden (3-4)
Golden Gardeck
Golden Gardeck (3-4)
Watt Golden
Gardeck Golden (3-4)
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Collins (3-4)
Watt Collins
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Dimukeje Collins (3-4)
Golden Gardeck
Watt Golden
Watt Golden
Fotu Golden
Gardeck Golden (3-4)
OK. So Zach Allen played 84% of the defensive snaps in that game. He wasn't on the bench in those situations; he was playing as a three- or five-technique inside.

I just don't get it, I guess. Allen is essentially white Antonio Smith. He's a great complementary player who eats up a ton of snaps and is disruptive. We're worse today than we were yesterday.

If we'd signed Allen to this deal there's zero chance the usual suspects aren't crowing about how there's a new sheriff in town and Monti's going to keep the home-grown talent.

Instead where hearing baseless fables about how Allen didn't want to be here, preferred to play for Vance, and was Actually Never That Good.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Like I've said, he's a nice player...I just don't see him as an impact player at all. Even for all of his warts, a player like Simmons has done things to 100% turn the tide of games, which is why I say his ceiling is higher. I don't recall plays like that from Allen.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I've said, he's a nice player...I just don't see him as an impact player at all. Even for all of his warts, a player like Simmons has done things to 100% turn the tide of games, which is why I say his ceiling is higher. I don't recall plays like that from Allen.
And yet you see Jalen Thompson with his whopping 5 interceptions and 19 total passes defended in 4 years as an impact player. Wonder why that is… couldn’t simply be because he’s still on the team and Allen’s not.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. So Zach Allen played 84% of the defensive snaps in that game. He wasn't on the bench in those situations; he was playing as a three- or five-technique inside.

I just don't get it, I guess. Allen is essentially white Antonio Smith. He's a great complementary player who eats up a ton of snaps and is disruptive. We're worse today than we were yesterday.

If we'd signed Allen to this deal there's zero chance the usual suspects aren't crowing about how there's a new sheriff in town and Monti's going to keep the home-grown talent.

Instead where hearing baseless fables about how Allen didn't want to be here, preferred to play for Vance, and was Actually Never That Good.

We're worse today than we were yesterday doesn't mean he was worth $15.25m. It doesn't mean we should spend whatever it takes so we don't get temporarily worse. That's how Steve Keim operated.

I don't think Allen didn't want to be here. I think he would have stayed had we just matched the offer. I think the Cardinals wanted to re-sign him and tried to (at least Mike said they did recently).

They just didn't want to pay him that money or didn't think the team was in a position to pay him that kind of money considering their plans / need to rebuild.

Which is also a perfectly legitimate position in my opinion.

As I've said a few times in this thread, I could have fell either way. Had we signed him I could have convinced myself it was ok, now they haven't I can understand why not.

The poll is 1 vote off 50/50 so it's not like this is an obvious no brainer.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Allen is a very nice DT2. A good compliment piece.

This contract pays him as an anchor on the line and hopes he can be that. He may be, but he also may not. It's a risk.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be structured that way though. They could have structured his contract in a fashion that would be a very low cap number this year, by giving a large signing bonus.
Yep. Kinda like Kyler's contract now. He only has like a 15M cap hit this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, just like how last season the Cards had to replace 17.5 sacks (42% of their total of 41 sacks). This season the Cards have to replace 20.5 sacks -- a whopping 57% of their 2022 total.

So, Dennis Gardeck has a lot of work to do. I'm sure there's a very good plan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, just like how last season the Cards had to replace 17.5 sacks (42% of their total of 41 sacks). This season the Cards have to replace 20.5 sacks -- a whopping 57% of their 2022 total.

Don’t forget we have Dijukembe!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Like I've said, he's a nice player...I just don't see him as an impact player at all.
Look closer...he had plenty of sacks/pressures/knocked down passes, and was far more impactful than Thompson last year.
Even for all of his warts, a player like Simmons has done things to 100% turn the tide of games, which is why I say his ceiling is higher.
Simmons has been mostly unplayable most of his career, and misses far more plays than he makes. He's great for 3 plays, and terrible for the rest. Allen is always passable and makes good plays too!
I don't recall plays like that from Allen.
As Rafiki says, "Look Harder". Or rather, don't. It'll make you more depressed about our current situation.

OP
OP
Dayman

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

But Will Anderson isn't the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, so we should trade down for more picks instead of taking the best pass rusher in the draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. 1 day of FA down and 1 guy not re-signed and the usual people are out with the doom, gloom and sarcasm. Happy days.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
But Will Anderson isn't the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, so we should trade down for more picks instead of taking the best pass rusher in the draft.
I only think a trade down is worth it, if the compensation of overwhelming or you're just doing a swap with #4 and can still take him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Im having a hard time understanding the decision to pass on Allen.

One of the costs of changing coaching staffs though is player turnover --

although again: Allen seemed like a very Gannon guy to me.