Lamar Jackson gets non-exclusive tag - Edit, New Deal!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lamar's best asset are his legs. He is a QB/RB which makes him a versatile weapon. However it also makes him a risky weapon. We all know that the shelf life for NFL RBs is very short. When a RB hits age 28 they are for the most part done in the NFL. Lamar is less than two years from hitting that age where RBs tend to fall off a cliff.

So the question is, what happens when Lamar isn't as effective running the ball, which maybe sometime very soon? Do you trust him as a Pocket passer? Do you hope that his aging body makes it through an entire season if he keeps playing the way he currently does? IMO you would be insane to give him a huge guaranteed contract the way he plays football.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the guarantee expectation should drop after he sees no one is willing to give it to him. Will he see the light, though?

Ravens have played it well. Lamar will see no team is willing to give him fully guaranteed terms and if there is someone desperate enough to do it then 2 1st round picks is roughly fair considering the very high fully guaranteed risk someone is taking.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More about just letting the process play out. The Ravens have concerns about Lamar's ability to stay healthy (missed multiple games the past two seasons) and the Cardinals had concerns about Kyler's professional approach. The Ravens put an offer out they are comfortable with due to their concerns and are now either going to get multiple first round picks or Lamar at a contract they are good with. If the Cardinals had more self confidence as a franchise, they would not have caved like they did.

There was a huge difference between Kyler's situation and Lamar's. That being that Kyler had an actual agent.

If Kyler didn't get a contract extension last year his agent would have told him to hold out. Kyler's camp had all of the leverage. Lamar did the exact opposite and bet on himself. However it blew up in his face IMO. The Ravens know what they are doing and are playing Lamar like a fiddle.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I bet Lamar really digs his heels in and holds out now.

He should fire his agent, because he’s getting bad advice.

#sarcasm

How can he "hold out" if he doesn't have a contract. Unsurprising anti-labor spin from you.

There was a huge difference between Kyler's situation and Lamar's. That being that Kyler had an actual agent.

If Kyler didn't get a contract extension last year his agent would have told him to hold out. Kyler's camp had all of the leverage. Lamar did the exact opposite and bet on himself. However it blew up in his face IMO. The Ravens know what they are doing and are playing Lamar like a fiddle.

I look forward to your series of alternative histories of the NFL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So you think ALL CAPS would be fine with his client playing without a new deal? That seems a bit naive.
He had a deal. My guess is that Keim said that he was going to take care of Kyler and his agent was trying to accelerate the timeline. The agent's letter wasn't wrong except about the "improving" part.

I think that Kyler is conflict-averse and so he'd come to training camp rather than deal with the fallout/lose money. If Keim and Michael had said at the outset that we wanted to see another year, we'd likely have seen a lot of the behind the scenes drama that we actually did hear anyway.

When was the last time there was a holdout on a rookie contract? There's a reason for that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Kyler's camp had absolutely zero leverage outside of "we'll make you look bad," which, with a normal franchise, would be no leverage at all. Fearing being the "Dollar Bill" organization all over again, we caved completely and without cause. We had him under control for multiple more years and he would have done nothing but hurt himself by holding out. If we had a decent FO, which I hope we have now, they would have shown they would not be bullied by a cocky young QB and awful agent (unless Kyler was ignoring his agent's advice) making him look stupid on social media. That way we could have played the wait and see game, to see if Kyler had figured it out, then NOT given him the huge extension when we clearly saw he hasn't. But our incompetent former FO caved like scared school children and gave him everything he wanted. Or maybe it was our owner who caved. Whichever, it was a bad decision at the time and an even worse decision in hindsight. Now we're saddled with a big contract and a player who may never live up to it, and we can't get out of it for two years. Good thing we gave in to Kyler's camp's "leverage."

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler's camp had absolutely zero leverage outside of "we'll make you look bad," which, with a normal franchise, would be no leverage at all. Fearing being the "Dollar Bill" organization all over again, we caved completely and without cause. We had him under control for multiple more years and he would have done nothing but hurt himself by holding out. If we had a decent FO, which I hope we have now, they would have shown they would not be bullied by a cocky young QB and awful agent (unless Kyler was ignoring his agent's advice) making him look stupid on social media. That way we could have played the wait and see game, to see if Kyler had figured it out, then NOT given him the huge extension when we clearly saw he hasn't. But our incompetent former FO caved like scared school children and gave him everything he wanted. Or maybe it was our owner who caved. Whichever, it was a bad decision at the time and an even worse decision in hindsight. Now we're saddled with a big contract and a player who may never live up to it, and we can't get out of it for two years. Good thing we gave in to Kyler's camp's "leverage."

"You don't want to give my client what he deserves then my client will sit out."

That's where it was all heading.

Do you think Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts will play on their rookie deals in 2023? If Burrow, Herbert and Hurts don't get a new deal done before the season starts, they are not going to play until one is in place. There is too much money involved and their agents are not stupid.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
"You don't want to give my client what he deserves then my client will sit out."

Do you think Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts will play on their rookie deals in 2023? If Burrow, Herbert and Hurts don't get a new deal done before the season starts, they are not going to play until one is in place. There is too much money involved and their agents are not stupid.
Okay, cool, Mr. Agent. Go right ahead. We aren't going to blink.

Now what happens? I'll answer the question by saying he reports and we waive the fines for him missing time. Then he plays on the contract.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

If you think this is the obvious choice, can you point to an example of a high-profile QB holding out since the CBA installed the rookie payscale and three-year wait for a second contract? Like one?

Do you think it's a coincidence that there have been (AFAIK, and I'm prepared to be wrong) 0% of contract holdouts? Not even for picks later in the first like Lamar or mid-round picks like Dak and Russ? 100% of teams capitulated when their young QBs approached them for a re-up?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because they don't get paid and they don't accrue a season.

Jalen Hurts is scheduled to make $4.5M this season. He should be able to sign a contract extension for over $250M this season based off of what Kyler got.

Does he risk playing for $4.5M and ending the season like Klyer with a devastating knee injury? That would kill any chance of a major contract extension for at least a couple of years. No way as an agent am I letting my client do that!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think this is the obvious choice, can you point to an example of a high-profile QB holding out since the CBA installed the rookie payscale and three-year wait for a second contract? Like one?

Do you think it's a coincidence that there have been (AFAIK, and I'm prepared to be wrong) 0% of contract holdouts? Not even for picks later in the first like Lamar or mid-round picks like Dak and Russ? 100% of teams capitulated when their young QBs approached them for a re-up?

Teams have all flinched for the young franchise QBs that have had success.

Luck got his extension after year 4

Goff got his extension after year 3

Mahomes got his extension after year 3

Allen got his extension after year 3

Kyler got his extension after year 3

There hasn't been any other QBs drafted worthy of an early extension than those guys. Except Lamar who represents himself.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Teams have all flinched for the young franchise QBs that have had success.

Luck got his extension after year 4

Goff got his extension after year 3

Mahomes got his extension after year 3

Allen got his extension after year 3

Kyler got his extension after year 3

There hasn't been any other QBs drafted worthy of an early extension than those guys. Except Lamar who represents himself.
Lamar won MVP in his second season. Dak also completed his contract season.

My argument isn’t that many guys get extended; mine is asking why there aren’t holdouts. Kyler was going to be the one guy to set the precedent on rookie QB holdouts with TWO YEARS left on his deal?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NO ONE can say they are going after Lamar. That would be tampering. Next week will tell the tale.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine Lamar Jackson on the 49ers?

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's actually him and his mom from what I've heard on NFL network. That being said, I'd rather work with Kyler Murray than Jackson. Kyler has a rocket arm that he can throw from tons of different angles. We may rip on Kyler, but his skillset can translate to different offenses better.

I mean we can put it simpler, if you could swap Lamar for Kyler would you? I'd say no way. Forget salary and everything else, I just mean a clean swap and I'd say no way in hell.

Kyler is still elite talent even if he hasn't got the rest of it figured out. Lamar is a one trick pony and his stats have decreased significantly every year. He doesn't have the arm of Kyler, he can't throw off different platforms the way Kyler can. And he's also hurt more than Kyler.