Hopkins' Contract

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, when will he let us know the results of his own independent inquiry into what happened? He's been awfully quiet...

According to the NFLPA it was trace amounts of Ostarine, which is in most pre-workouts and isn't even scientifically proven to do anything. And the more I read on it today, it appears there is concern about damage it causes to the liver more than any potential enhancement it does to muscle growth. Ostarine is thought to accelerate muscle growth, not enhance recovery.

"People use ostarine for athletic performance, involuntary weight loss due to illness, breast cancer, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses."

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get rid of them early than too late. You don’t extend 31 year old injury prone WRs who have a history of PEDS
Hard to argue this. I think that we might be surprised by some of the upcoming roster changes. I think JG will have a true blue come to Jesus discussion with Simmons before the Cardinals pick up his 5th year. Not saying I don’t want Simmons back, but wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Listened to the big red rage today and Gannon was talking about some of the top offensive players on the roster, and didn’t mention Dhop. Could be an oversight or maybe foreshadowing for things to come
Curious who he talked about.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Mmmm... hmmm, it was an indicator of a mistake in judgment in attempting to quickly come back from a severe leg muscle pull.

He didn't use to 'enhance' his performance in the offseason but to more quickly heal in season.
Lol, that literally is enhancing performance. His performance, if left alone, wouldn’t have healed more quickly (in his mind, hence using the PEDs). It was used to give him a physical advantage (heal more quickly). You can use word play in an attempt to mask the truth, but this is cheating. Don’t call it a mistake. A mistake is something you do accidentally. This was purposeful by your own description.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Given how little you actually know about the circumstances of his suspension, I can't understand why you'd question.
I dunno, maybe all the athletes that came before him saying “it was accident!” Amazing coincidences that players popped for breaking well known rules all cry mistake in the public eye.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SCIENCE HAS SPOKEN!!!
Weird take. Both points of view are based off of how people think Hopkins will perform 2-3 years from now and neither side of the debate can know that.

Unless this team is truly going to punt on next year, I don't see any value at all trading our best player on the team. Even for a 2nd round pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Weird take. Both points of view are based off of how people think Hopkins will perform 2-3 years from now and neither side of the debate can know that.

Unless this team is truly going to punt on next year, I don't see any value at all trading our best player on the team. Even for a 2nd round pick.
I was just joking about your response. Of course everything is conjecture.

Reaction score
Hard to argue this. I think that we might be surprised by some of the upcoming roster changes. I think JG will have a true blue come to Jesus discussion with Simmons before the Cardinals pick up his 5th year. Not saying I don’t want Simmons back, but wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t.

I did wonder if one of the disagreements JG spoke about with Monti during the interview process was about Simmons - I can see how they would have looked at him in the draft class when being at Tennessee/Indy respectively could be very different.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol, that literally is enhancing performance. His performance, if left alone, wouldn’t have healed more quickly (in his mind, hence using the PEDs). It was used to give him a physical advantage (heal more quickly). You can use word play in an attempt to mask the truth, but this is cheating. Don’t call it a mistake. A mistake is something you do accidentally. This was purposeful by your own description.

A mistake is defined as an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.

Yes, purposeful, and as I said, a 'mistake', an error in judgment on his part as events proved.

And the distinction I was attempting to make was between using PEDs in an offseason to add muscle weight and strength and his attempt to quickly heal and get back on the field during the season. Both are deliberate but I have a bit more sympathy for the latter.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
I apologize if this was already posted somewhere

The Cleveland Browns are in a good position to land a second top-tier wide receiver for their roster heading into the 2023 campaign.

DeAndre Hopkins, currently of the Arizona Cardinals, has been officially on the trade market for weeks. A previous concern for a team like the Browns was that the three-time All-Pro wideout had a no-trade clause in his contract that afforded him veto power on any deal sending him somewhere he didn’t want to go. However, that is no longer the case.

The NFL has stripped Hopkins of his no-trade clause after he was found to have violated league rules last season, per Joel Corry of CBS Sports.

“The no-trade clause in Hopkins’ contract voided when he was suspended for the first six games of the 2022 season because of violating of the league’s performance enhancing substances policy,” Corry wrote on Thursday, February 16.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did wonder if one of the disagreements JG spoke about with Monti during the interview process was about Simmons - I can see how they would have looked at him in the draft class when being at Tennessee/Indy respectively could be very different.
My guess was who would be our “trigger man” until Kyler gets back.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
According to the NFLPA it was trace amounts of Ostarine, which is in most pre-workouts and isn't even scientifically proven to do anything. And the more I read on it today, it appears there is concern about damage it causes to the liver more than any potential enhancement it does to muscle growth. Ostarine is thought to accelerate muscle growth, not enhance recovery.

"People use ostarine for athletic performance, involuntary weight loss due to illness, breast cancer, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses."
Ostarine is not in most preworkouts, absolutely no way. It is a type of steroid called a SARM. If it was in preworkouts people would notice their balls shrinking.

SARMs (such as Ostarine) are basically mild steroids with lesser benefits and lesser side effects. When you take a SARM it will suppress the body's natural testosterone production. A lot of websites were selling it as a "research chemical" a few years back. It was legal to sell as long it the seller wasn't selling it for human consumption. A legal loop hole that I think has been closed.

I had some fun with it in college, it definitely works. I know a bunch of Clemson players got busted for it. I doubt Hop was trying to use it. The rumor is that a lot of regular steroids (testosterone) are very easy to mask/hide from PED tests, while SARMS are impossible to hide. What happens is that steroid manufacturers sell both products and will accidentally contaminate regular testosterone with trace amounts of SARMs such as Ostarine. All it takes is a workspace not being properly cleaned. Hopkins probably got a dirty batch.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
have discussed this on other teams boards a lot the past week.
consensus among the almighty fans seems to think Hop will net a 1st and a 3rd on the high end, down to a 2nd and a 5th on the low end. with most thinking somewhere in the area of a 2 and a 3.

anywhere in that range I am fine with letting him go.

Hop wants more guaranteed money... it isnt a coincidence that he starts talking about trades at this time. If traded, he can reasonably expect a new 4 year deal... and that means guaranteed money.
Historically guys with his play style produce longer, catch radius and hands are not dependent on speed and only minimally on vert... personally I think Hop will be a go to guy until he is 34... speculation of course.
But, we would have to give him a new deal to keep him happy...ask any player, its all about the guaranteed money.
what we cant have is a HoF WR busting out the Diva routine and disrupting the entire locker room because he is throwing a tantrum over money.
But Kyler plays so much better with Hop!........
True. Its high time he got over that affliction too.
Kyler wants to be paid and classified like Pat Mahomes... Mahomes lost his go to star WR....and he won an MVP.
Kyler has trust issues and he often passes up open guys because he doesnt trust them... he needs to move past that and start elevating his teammates. IMO he cant make that leap in maturity while his safety net is still on the field.

If it were me..
Trade Hop,...hopefully at least a 2 and a 3..
Sign Allen Lazard... good size, outside playmaker ability, shouldnt cost the farm.
use the picks to fill the trenches....this aint a great draft for WR so only take one if your scouts jump on the table.

use a higher pick in 24 to get a big outside wr, hopefully with a 5th year of control.