Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone who sucked at all of those things failing again at the highest level? What a surprise. You gotta come up with a better argument than that.

Personally, I think it’s kinda weird that you’re attacking these two hires considering I’m guessing you know little about them beyond their titles and history of titles and teams. Granted I would think it weird anyone trumpeting them right now as well.

There’s no cardinals fan that knows squat about these guys.
Both Kliff and JG are young but Gannon has worked within the walls of the NFL where as Kliff never really did. I think that makes a difference.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is some take.

Why? Because he's a first time OC? Every OC and offensive HC was at some point a 1st time OC and was successful at it (or they would not hold their current position).

Stefanski was 37 when he became an OC.

Zac Taylor was a HC at 36 with a year as OC at 32.

Matt LaFleur was OC at 36.

Steichen was OC at 35.

Josh McDaniels was OC at 36

Kevin O'Connell was OC at 34

Sirianni was OC at 37

Shanny was OC at 28

And this is just active guys.

What possible reason could you have to doubt Petzing with this level of certainty and to say Kyler has the right to blow him off?

Who should we hire? Byron Leftwich who has sucked every time BA isn't stood next to him? Ben McAdoo? Darell Bevell? Doug Marrone? Adam Gase? Joe Lombardi? Todd Downing? Pep Hamilton? Greg Roman? Scott Turner? Marcus Brady? Jason Garrett? Mike Groh? Marty Mornhinweg? Bill Lazor? Scott Linehan?

I'm intrigued as to what experienced play calling OC you think we have missed on.
The "doesn't have experience" calling plays anger is completely silly. Ridiculous even.

There isn't anyone out there who has experience that is any good.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Checkout the 2017 San Francisco Forty Niners

Lynch, 1st time GM
Shanny, 1st time HC and also basically served as OC
Robert Saleh, 1st time DC
It's not like the HC, OC, and DC haven't been part of gameplanning and part of the game day process.

All three are unknowns at this point. According to multiple insiders Rallies was a hot name. Eagles were probably promoting the guy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know hindsight is great sight... But with a back like Conner. We should've been more or a power run team

One thing for sure I am highly interested in what kind of offense we'll see.
The problem is Connor scares NOBODY. Worse thing he does is “ gash” the defense for a 10 yard gain. He doesn’t force the linebackers or db’s to come forward.
It’s also leads to penalties when you are depending on 10-12 play drives. We need a guy that can rip off a 50 yard run or at least pose the threat.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
...and they'd play games against the Steelers, per se, where they had good YPA and kept passing like crazy. Drove my Browns fans buddies to distraction. He's a coach where it's his way or the highway and he often gets away from his bread and butter.
Yeah they barely ran the ball in their first meeting (they ran it 38 times!!!) and lost the second game by two scores...I think relying on what people say vs looking at the numbers yourself is folly.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone who sucked at all of those things failing again at the highest level? What a surprise. You gotta come up with a better argument than that.

Personally, I think it’s kinda weird that you’re attacking these two hires considering I’m guessing you know little about them beyond their titles and history of titles and teams. Granted I would think it weird anyone trumpeting them right now as well.

There’s no cardinals fan that knows squat about these guys.
Agree with this post. Yes, we are young, and yes, we’re somewhat inexperienced. But, I’ll take a process driven approach over the type of approach that KK took each and every time. Looking back, KK’s hideous 2nd half of season collapses should have been a huge red flag. I strongly believe in the old adage that if you’re not continuously getting better, then you’re getting worse. Once Kliff’s teams peaked, all he ever did was try to maintain. There was no process in place for them to get better, so they obviously didn’t. In fact, the only direction they could go was down. And they did each and every time. MO saw how process engineering worked in NE, as did Gannon in Philadelphia. Whoever they hire will learn that system, abide by that system, or they’ll be gone. In the NFL, so many things can derail you. But, I at least like where this is starting.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is Connor scares NOBODY. Worse thing he does is “ gash” the defense for a 10 yard gain. He doesn’t force the linebackers or db’s to come forward.
It’s also leads to penalties when you are depending on 10-12 play drives. We need a guy that can rip off a 50 yard run or at least pose the threat.
Couldn’t agree more. Show me a team that consistently takes 15 plays to score & I’ll show you a losing team. All it does is increase the likelihood of mistakes being made. When Coryell turned the Cardinals around, his first move was to draft Metcalf, who was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball. He also built a dominating OL that allowed an average QB with zero mobility to have all day in the pocket. BA turned this franchise around with his patented “chunk plays”. Bottom line, Conner isn’t a full time weapon. Yes, he can help in different circumstances, but this team needs a large dose of explosiveness added to their offense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm hoping we spend a 3rd round pick or so on a back with some speed. I don't think we can invest any FA dollars in one.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The "doesn't have experience" calling plays anger is completely silly. Ridiculous even.

There isn't anyone out there who has experience that is any good.
Yes and no. Yes, it is silly to get all worked up over it, however, it can still be a concern as these guys are trying to find their way. That is the unknown. Petzing May turn out to be great and gone in two years to be a head coach or he could completely **** the bed and destroy Kyler ( whom I hope is solvable and salvageable but have my doubts) and the fans are looking at another lost decade.

If Rallis ends up calling plays (which I prefer) then the same goes for him

Either outcome in my eyes is equally possible

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping we spend a 3rd round pick or so on a back with some speed. I don't think we can invest any FA dollars in one.
Im thinking Gibbs from Alabama.

Also I find it hard to believe Gannon wants to trade Hopkins after seeing how much AJ Brown meant to Jalen Hurts.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Im thinking Gibbs from Alabama.

Also I find it hard to believe Gannon wants to trade Hopkins after seeing how much AJ Brown meant to Jalen Hurts.
I doubt he wants to, but it's probably the best move. He'll be 31 when the season starts, wants more money, and is right near the cusp of where many players fall off at their position. (See Julio Jones.)

Getting some picks and cap relief might be a better help to a turnaround instead of getting him for half a season with Kyler and signing him to an extension into his years that he starts to decline.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Like hiring young, aggressive coaches. Wouldn’t mind trading some of our top veteran players to stockpile draft choices. We didn’t win with them last season and likely won’t this year. Do the drafting, do the developing, do the losing. Then watch out a year later. Take your lumps now because this year’s schedule is brutal. Get experience. Get acclimated to coaches and players. Then win.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't see a day 1 or day 2 pick being a RB.

The Patriots have been making lemonade with late round running backs for years. Probably looking 4th round soonest.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think we all have the same concerns about the age and experience of the coaches. We have to trust Gannon. Next year is also going to be kind of a throw away year. Perfect for them to learn on the job.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quick and decisive. Sounds like JG had a plan and is executing it. Who am I to question it? I may h
concerns but he should be allowed to sink or swim with his guys. The other way didn't work the past 4 years.
While I agree it is important for young coaches to do their due diligence. The fact that it was announced who the likely favorite OC before he was even hired makes you wonder how serious he took those other candidates.

Now tbf he's in a tough spot as its late in the game. He's trying to recreate Sirianni lets hope he has the same feel for coaches that Sirianni has.
I heard an interview with someone in The Cars and they now call their first album "Greatest Hits'. Lol
Put me down for Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes and no. Yes, it is silly to get all worked up over it, however, it can still be a concern as these guys are trying to find their way. That is the unknown. Petzing May turn out to be great and gone in two years to be a head coach or he could completely **** the bed and destroy Kyler ( whom I hope is solvable and salvageable but have my doubts) and the fans are looking at another lost decade.

If Rallis ends up calling plays (which I prefer) then the same goes for him

Either outcome in my eyes is equally possible
The point is, you either:

Choose a has-been
Choose a guy who has been passed over for coordinator jobs for years
Pick a young riser.

Rallis and Petzing are both young risers. They are just as likely to be good as anyone. The only candidates who are known quantities and don't mostly suck, already have jobs.

I've liked what I've seen of both these guys. Petzing seems really smart and Rallis has crazy energy and looks like an excellent teacher.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Choose a has-been
Pick a young riser.

Rallis and Petzing are both young risers. They are just as likely to be good as anyone. The only candidates who are known quantities and don't mostly suck, already have jobs.

I've liked what I've seen of both these guys. Petzing seems really smart and Rallis has crazy energy and looks like an excellent teacher.

Nobody complaining has mentioned a single viable alternative that fits the mold of what they are asking for.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had twice the experience as a positional coach as Petzing and inherited Kurt Warner with a HC with an offensive background.

How did he have twice the experience?

Haley was a WR coach for 9 years. Petzing has been a position coach for 7 years and an offensive assistant for 2.

If you want to grade it you can say Haley just about has an edge. But then Petzing brings it back by having experience of coaching all offensive rooms except RB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Choose a has-been
Pick a young riser.

Explain to me what makes Petzing a “young riser”?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explain to me what makes Petzing a “young riser”?
Yeah… I get being agnostic on this hire, in wait and see mode or very cautiously optimistic if for no other reason than we are finally empowering our HC to build his own staff, but the fluffing on this guy’s resume is starting to crack me up.

If this guy was hired to OC and call plays for any of our rivals, the entire board would be laughing at them… “the Cleveland QB coach?!”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson