Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds… reasonable and feels like you’re looking for reasons new Coach doesn’t actually like Kyler.
I think it is possible, but I doubt Gannon feels that way right now.
At least he gives himself an out if they suck and draft Caleb next year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This sounds… reasonable and feels like you’re looking for reasons new Coach doesn’t actually like Kyler.

That's not what I said. I think it sounds very much like what Sean Payton said about Kyler. He's extremely talented. No one doubts this.

I don't think that there's a coach out there who wouldn't want Kyler Murray on their team. Everyone is going to be intruiged by the talent. It just sounded super-hedgy to me.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's not what I said. I think it sounds very much like what Sean Payton said about Kyler. He's extremely talented. No one doubts this.

I don't think that there's a coach out there who wouldn't want Kyler Murray on their team. Everyone is going to be intruiged by the talent. It just sounded super-hedgy to me.
By your interpretation it just reinforces what I already thought - Gannon's job security isn't tied solely to Kyler.

I don't agree with your interpretation though, he wasn't going to do a fluff piece on QB1 day 1 of the job to the media with K1 sitting front row.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Someone directly asked him what he thinks of Kyler:

Played against Kyler this year, and it was a unique game plan to put together. "He's a problem to defend." Looking forward to showing him how defenses try and stop you. Help him be explosive and move up and down the field. Monti and I did not disagree on doing everything we can to put together a winning football team.

Again went big picture when asked about Kyler. Scary.
I found the clip and I don't think it was an accident that Gannon made sure to point out how he could help Kyler in his first press conference. That stood out to me as he is at least aware of the game as the HC of Kyler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Actually thought his eyes lit up when he spoke about him. Brought him up a number of times.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, it's probably the most important question for his next two years here. Understanding that he needs an OC and QB coach, I think I'd want to hear something like what he initially said, and then:

Monti and Michael and I are in total agreement that the Arizona Cardinals cannot be successful unless Kyler Murray is successful. We're going to surround him with the weapons and, more importantly, the protection he needs to become the biggest problem in the NFL. I just got finished preparing for two weeks to try and beat the biggest problem in the NFL in Patrick Mahomes, so I know the difference a great QB can make.

But we also know that Kyler has to get better physically -- it's great to see him working out on the facility -- he has to get better mentally to surgically attack opponents. When I was studying for this role I saw the opportunities that were left on the field -- including against the Philadelphia Eagles. We want him to be able to make the easy stuff look easy as well as the hard stuff.

LOL no. You want him to openly criticize him in his opening presser?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I found the clip and I don't think it was an accident that Gannon made sure to point out how he could help Kyler in his first press conference. That stood out to me as he is at least aware of the game as the HC of Kyler.
i tend to agree with you that as Kyler goes, so goes Gannon

i suppose there is a scenario where Kyler fails but Gannon succeeds -- but lets be real: the fastest path to success involves Kyler getting back to at least 2020 Kyler.

I liked the idea of "here is how defenses try to defend you" part.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i tend to agree with you that as Kyler goes, so goes Gannon

i suppose there is a scenario where Kyler fails but Gannon succeeds -- but lets be real: the fastest path to success involves Kyler getting back to at least 2020 Kyler.

I liked the idea of "here is how defenses try to defend you" part.
Same. That’s the smart way of saying this is how I can show Kyler what he’s doing wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard