The Durant Sweepstakes

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes, there is some calculated risk to this move. But me and my brother were discussing it, and kind of realized there were a couple of genuine upsides to it regardless of whether the payoff is a championship:

1) This definitely shows that Ishbia will be an aggressive/motivated owner. This was a total Jerry Colangelo kind of move... and even better, the inverse of a Robert Sarver kind of move.

2) Losing the four draft picks may hurt in the long run, but being realistic, as long as the current GM and coach were still going to be here, there was a good chance those picks would end up being wasted anyway. It was probably worth the gamble to move them for the possibility of a championship.
Hopefully this becomes a free agent hot spot. That would easily make up for the lost draft picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved the Barkley trade. I don't get the same feeling with this trade and I like Kevin Durant.

It's too risky.

If the Suns win a championship it will be worth it but with the assets they gave up, I think there were other trades that could have put them over the top still keeping at least Bridges.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. We have a three year window. And I guarantee we are going to be a FA and buyout destination.
This. Who isn’t going to want to play along side a lineup of CP3, Booker, Durant and Ayton?

IMO, some of those borderline FA’s who would chose another team over the Suns in the past?

We will have the advantage now.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, there is some calculated risk to this move. But me and my brother were discussing it, and kind of realized there were a couple of genuine upsides to it regardless of whether the payoff is a championship:

1) This definitely shows that Ishbia will be an aggressive/motivated owner. This was a total Jerry Colangelo kind of move... and even better, the inverse of a Robert Sarver kind of move.

2) Losing the four draft picks may hurt in the long run, but being realistic, as long as the current GM and coach were still going to be here, there was a good chance those picks would end up being wasted anyway. It was probably worth the gamble to move them for the possibility of a championship.

On the bright side of the future outlook, it is still a player driven league and Booker has proven he can attract star players even with a pos owner. If Ishbia does clean up the teams reputation with Booker entering his prime there will still be ways to add talent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have their taxpayer MLE to use and I'm sure they will use it.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I absolutely loved the Barkley trade. I don't get the same feeling with this trade and I like Kevin Durant.

It's too risky.

If the Suns win a championship it will be worth it but with the assets they gave up, I think there were other trades that could have put them over the top still keeping at least Bridges.
Quite possibly... but if you could suggest one, I would like to hear it. I just can't think off the top of my head of just about any game changers who might be available... at any cost, let alone without moving Bridges or the equivalent.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Also, how many rookies could you add to this team at this point?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite possibly... but if you could suggest one, I would like to hear it. I just can't think off the top of my head of just about any game changers who might be available... at any cost, let alone without moving Bridges or the equivalent.
I can't either. I just can't fathom why we'd make all those picks unprotected. Okay, so we're taking the gamble that KD will stay healthy enough to make a difference. I think that's a huge risk but at least it's understandable. But to then include 4 picks without even top 3 protection? To me that's almost like cutting yourself before jumping overboard into shark infested waters.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't either. I just can't fathom why we'd make all those picks unprotected. Okay, so we're taking the gamble that KD will stay healthy enough to make a difference. I think that's a huge risk but at least it's understandable. But to then include 4 picks without even top 3 protection? To me that's almost like cutting yourself before jumping overboard into shark infested waters.

This sounds like a fan trade.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard