Taking a QB at #3: Is it really that far fetched?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think Kylers attitude next year -- even if he plays only 6 games -- will go a long way to determining what the 2024 draft target will be

because if he doesnt play at all (for example) -- i think QB jumps to the top of the list

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would. I would ship him for a 2nd this year and a conditional next year no problem but I understand I am in the minority. Hard to believe the owner who just paid him, a GM and a HC would be in agreement with me on this.
It is easy when it isn't our 90M to spend I guess.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I disagree. I think we are where we are now because of Kyler the person and our lack of self esteem as a franchise. We stupidly gave Kyler the VIP treatment day 1 and he stupidly ran with it. A lot of guys would have had the awareness to say they want to be treated like any other rookie, want the team to see him earn it, or many other things that natural leaders inherently know. A lot of franchises would be smart enough to not put their young QB in the position to have to do that.
Can’t argue with this. Agree completely. I didn’t like extending him a year early, but I hated extending the coach and GM even more.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If there was a top franchise QB I wouldn’t hesitate to draft them. Kyler has been very up and down. So if there was an obvious upgrade I do it. We can revisit this question next year also if Kyler doesn’t show well after his injury.

Take the Defense stud and if both are gone I take the best trade down offer and let the rebuild begin.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again if Caleb Williams was in the draft yes you consider it. THere isn't a guy in this draft that's guaranteed to be any better than Kyler. Young is really good, has a feel for the position, but he's undersized and doesn't have a great arm. He might wind up being great, lots of stuff said on him was said about Burrow(the arm) and he's terrific, but it's a risk. Stroud, he looked great against Georgia but he's played his whole career surrounded with first round draft picks at WR and a big strong OL. He won't have that in Arizona(hopefully the Wr group will be strong). Levis and Richardson who knows, physical talent but nobody is sure how good they are going to be.

If Anderson is there I take him, if not but Carter is I take him, if both are somehow gone then I'm trying to trade down a few spots to someone who wants a QB.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not this season,but 2024 if Kyler’s attitude doesn’t shape up, you do whatever you can to get a QB to compete with him

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Granted, we do need to bring in someone to be the starting QB for much of next season. Colt McCoy is ok for a game or two but not for numerous games (and perhaps the majority of the season)

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think we are going to be very good next year. I think we will be in the Caleb Williams race next year. I'm not a big believer in Murray, but I don't think anyone in this class is a can't miss QB. Draft the best defensive player and start stacking talent.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't touch an OSU QB until one proves he can play in the NFL. Of all the OSU QBs taken in the draft, if Stroud is successful, he will be the first OSU QB to do it. The list of OSU QBs drafted is like a whos who of busted draft picks.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't touch an OSU QB until one proves he can play in the NFL. Of all the OSU QBs taken in the draft, if Stroud is successful, he will be the first OSU QB to do it. The list of OSU QBs drafted is like a whos who of busted draft picks.
Really???? Where's that long list of 1st round OSU QB's drafted?
There's Fields who the jury is still very much out on. Haskins who had three HC's within 1 year of playing and was drafted into a horrible situation where his original HC didn't want him but the owner did. Granted, he did himself no favors by being an idiot but it was as bad a situation as a guy could be drafted.

Then there's...............let's go back to 1982 and Art Schlicther for the next 1st round QB. If you really want to lengthen the list, you can go back to 1941 and Don Scott.

So four 1st round QB's in 80 years. Not exactly a who's who. Going by memory, I think only Bobby Hoying was a 2nd rounder in all those years. It's not like OSU has been flooding the NFL with legit QB prospects that have flamed out.

I'm not a Stroud fan but let's not let facts get in the way of hyperbole.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
As much as I want us to stay put at 3 and take a star defensive player I have no confidence in Murray growing up and being the leader he needs to be. If we drafted Will Levis I would be fine with that. I have a feeling the new GM will trade out and acquire more picks though.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No..a 1000 no. We need to invest in the guts of this team and we HAVE to get it right.
However I would have no problem taking a Qb in the 4th round or later if a quality guy slips. They’re out there.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
As much as I want us to stay put at 3 and take a star defensive player I have no confidence in Murray growing up and being the leader he needs to be. If we drafted Will Levis I would be fine with that. I have a feeling the new GM will trade out and acquire more picks though.
I agree that I expect Monti to trade back from #3 and I am going to be frustrated when he does.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Are you saying you expect Monti to trade down with Anderson or Carter still on the board?