2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else wonder if CP3 speaking out in favor of Jae indicated a fracturing between him and Monty. I don't mean caused it, I suspect it's been there for quite a while now.

It was Chris Paul's team last season up until perhaps the Mavericks series. He was always actively coaching up the team and then it seemed to slow down and stop. Maybe this is where the division started.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the Suns didn't offer more than Paul, Crowder and a 1st round pick for Kyrie Irving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If the Suns actually offered that AT ALL then they are freaking idiots. Trading for Kyrie is like wishing for terminal cancer Basketball wise. AND we’d be giving UP a pick to make it happen?!

Which is nothing to say of him also being a FLAMING BIGOT. I mean, we’re just days away from getting rid of a notorious one in the Front Office but we’d import a new one for the court?

I’ve talked about being willing to take major risks with our window closing and the league wide open, but Kyrie isn’t a risk. It’s straight up franchise suicide.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Anyone else wonder if CP3 speaking out in favor of Jae indicated a fracturing between him and Monty. I don't mean caused it, I suspect it's been there for quite a while now.
I’m just about done with Monty. He was the type of coach the Suns needed when he first got hired, but I don’t see him taking them over the top. He doesn’t make adjustments and the issues he has with players is a concern.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the CP3/Crowder for Irving might have been enough if Jae was playing or made in the off-season. I can see why the Nets passed. Jae's value is next to nothing at this point. He's a rotation player who needs to play his way into game shape so won't help a pretender become a contender for a playoff push. A contender that needs depth would trade for him and they aren't giving up anything of value, see Milwaukee. James Jones really screwed this one up.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holy crap consider the CP3 bridge burned

So we offered CP3/Crowder and picks and they said no.

KD ain’t in trade talks he’s off the table from this report also Windy said KD wanted Finey-Smith
CP3 is not dumb, had to know he was main part of our offer, Kyrie would obviously be his replacement.

i think he will be fine.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the CP3/Crowder for Irving might have been enough if Jae was playing or made in the off-season. I can see why the Nets passed. Jae's value is next to nothing at this point. He's a rotation player who needs to play his way into game shape so won't help a pretender become a contender for a playoff push. A contender that needs depth would trade for him and they aren't giving up anything of value, see Milwaukee. James Jones really screwed this one up.
nah, dinwiddie is way better than cp3 at this point

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns actually offered that AT ALL then they are freaking idiots. Trading for Kyrie is like wishing for terminal cancer Basketball wise. AND we’d be giving UP a pick to make it happen?!

Which is nothing to say of him also being a FLAMING BIGOT. I mean, we’re just days away from getting rid of a notorious one in the Front Office but we’d import a new one for the court?

I’ve talked about being willing to take major risks with our window closing and the league wide open, but Kyrie isn’t a risk. It’s straight up franchise suicide.

Kyrie is not a player I would have gone after, but maybe things are not good with Paul either. It's something to think about.

Maybe the Suns were looking at going for the homerun in the playoffs this season and not looking beyond.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyrie is not a player I would have gone after, but maybe things are not good with Paul either. It's something to think about.

Maybe the Suns were looking at going for the homerun in the playoffs this season and not looking beyond.
Yeah what’s not good about Paul is he can’t even bring the ball up the court anymore and only seems able to score about 1 in 5 games.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't know why Toronto would be interested in CP3 at all, because the only reason they are trading guys is because of upcoming money issues. So why would you want a high salary guy like Paul? Makes no sense from what they are trying to do.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why Toronto would be interested in CP3 at all, because the only reason they are trading guys is because of upcoming money issues. So why would you want a high salary guy like Paul? Makes no sense from what they are trying to do.

It probably doesn't answer your question but Chris Paul's salary for next season is $30,800,000, but only $15,800,000 of it is guaranteed.

A team wanting to dump a higher salaried player might be interested. Also, Paul's salary next season can be written off over years... something like three years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It probably doesn't answer your question but Chris Paul's salary for next season is $30,800,000, but only $15,800,000 of it is guaranteed.

A team wanting to dump a higher salaried player might be interested. Also, Paul's salary next season can be written off over years... something like three years.

I can't find anything but I believe they may be able to stretch that $15 million over 5 years because of how the deal is structured. I remember some mention of this when he signed the deal. The stretch provision allows a team to spread remaining salary over twice the length of remaining years plus 1 and he has 2 years remaining so that $15 million over 5 years would be just $3 million, which is fairly insignificant when talking NBA salaries. That's like not having the biannual exception available.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot imagine what this board would like if it was a Memphis Grizzlies forum. All those personalities.

That team is in an odd place. They've got talent but man... are they stupid, on and off the court. A wildly entertaining team on the court, but an incredibly stupid and self destructive team on AND off the court. I had little knowledge of the... 'character' of Ja Morant until this last week. Wow... the kindest thing I can say... he has some bad influences in his life.

I think they self destruct in the playoffs. I hope we get to meet them in round 2.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I want us to meet the Grizz, Mavs, Pelicans, and Lakers. Then Nuggs in the western conference finals.

What, are the Lakers missing the playoffs again?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, I think that has nothing to do with it.

Very clearly the reason they are interested in moving him, is he is not consistently a starting caliber PG - and if you want to win a playoff series that's kind of important.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I think that has nothing to do with it.

Very clearly the reason they are interested in moving him, is he is not consistently a starting caliber PG - and if you want to win a playoff series that's kind of important.
That's not exactly what I asked although I guess it's an offshoot of my question/point.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mavericks want the trade done today.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mavericks want the trade done today.

If I was the Mavs I would too. The Nets are a crap organization. They are exploring a 3rd team which has to worry the Mavs because it could change pieces in the deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was the Mavs I would too. The Nets are a crap organization. They are exploring a 3rd team which has to worry the Mavs because it could change pieces in the deal.

Especially if it benefited Phoenix.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mavs shouldn’t worry as they keep kyrie. It’s the Nets that don’t want to keep what the Mavs gave up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyrie deal is final with the Mavs (original deal).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson