Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There’s another angle for the Cardinals to consider. If they interview Flores and don’t hire him, they’d better have a solid and persuasive explanation for passing on him. Last year, the Texans got an invitation to the Flores lawsuit after interviewing him, making him one of three finalists, and then going off the board to hire Lovie Smith.

Many continue to be confused about the inability of a business to shun someone who has sued that business and/or one of its partners. The laws against employment discrimination also prevent retaliation against those who exercise their rights against employment discrimination.

To avoid the same fate as the Texans, the Cardinals would have to hire someone who would be clearly and obviously better than Flores.

The Cards are already part of the lawsuit, with Wilks situation. Also, weird Texans would be included, since Lovie is a minority.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ Watt just said this week that while he likes coaching players he has no time for all the other stuff that goes into it. He said he has no interest in being a position coach so you can be sure he ain't going to be a HC.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton was at the top of my list till I realized how much draft capital it would cost to land him.

My second choice has been Brian Flores and I now have him at the top of my list. I really want a HC with experience who holds his players accountable. I'm also leaning towards a defensive minded HC.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ Watt just said this week that while he likes coaching players he has no time for all the other stuff that goes into it. He said he has no interest in being a position coach so you can be sure he ain't going to be a HC.
I realize I’m drawing from an inside straight here, but one can dream. How about JJ as a DC?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that I will be good with just about any of the candidates on here, at least until our team does not show any improvement over the next several years :D .

As far as the hiring goes, I hope that MB leaves the hiring to his new GM. That's what they are hired for, right? Com'on MO, get us a winner. :newcards:

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All this wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth is great for discussion and engagement, but I refuse to get crazy one way or the other. The ONLY candidate that would have me popping bottles would be Payton, and we're not getting him. Other than that I am going to support the next head coach as I did Wilks and Kliff (didn't WANT either) and pray it works out. No matter who it is, he has his work cut out for him, and will need the support of Monti and the front office to succeed. I only need look at Daboll, and Siriani as examples. Neither hire, had we made them would have raised an eyebrow with the fanbase, but they are both coach of the year candidates and look to have prolonged success moving forward. To quote my Sixers center, we will REALLY have to "trust the process"
I was just thinking about Daboll. What a pleasant surprise he must have been for Giants fans. They surpassed all preseason expectations.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
But I thought we were a trash organization...haha

I mentioned this before, but if you go back to Sean's last Cowherd interview and then review Mikes presser after firing KK, you'll hear they both used similar language, when they mentioned being "broken". Mike said that he didn't think the Cardinals were as broken as some in the media portrayed...and Sean mentioned that teams hiring a new HC weren't broken, but did have problems to correct. I thought it was interesting they both basically said the same thing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But I thought we were a trash organization...haha

I mentioned this before, but if you go back to Sean's last Cowherd interview and then review Mikes presser after firing KK, you'll hear they both used similar language, when they mentioned being "broken". Mike said that he didn't think the Cardinals were as broken as some in the media portrayed...and Sean mentioned that teams hiring a new HC weren't broken, but did have problems to correct. I thought it was interesting they both basically said the same thing.
Call me crazy, but I am beginning to think Payton's favorite opening is actually the Cards, but they have been showing him lukewarm interest because of the cost.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I am beginning to think Payton's favorite opening is actually the Cards, but they have been showing him lukewarm interest because of the cost.
It could be when he and Mike talked, Sean told Mike what the $ would be...Mike already knew from the Saints the draft compensation...and Mike said come here last.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cowherd had a segment about how bad it is to go with a defensive oriented coach in today's NFL, that basically all top 8 teams in the playoffs had offensive minded coaches other than Buffalo, and it was his contention that is why their offense looked so bad.

I find myself agreeing with this take. I understand the instinct to not suckup to Kyler, but if that is really an issue, it means Kyler is not the answer at QB. Regardless I don't think a defensive minded coach is a good move.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DeMarco is officially a no go
Read the whole article:

"It wasn’t known whether Ryans completely cancelled the interviews or simply postponed or rescheduled them, as the 49ers will be preparing the meet the Eagles next weekend in the NFC Championship Game."

Everyone knows he cancelled on Saturday, but nobody knows if he's rescheduling. To say he's "officially a no go" is premature, until something like that is confirmed. Just over the weekend everyone thought Payton was a no go, too, but look what happened today.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Cowherd had a segment about how bad it is to go with a defensive oriented coach in today's NFL, that basically all top 8 teams in the playoffs had offensive minded coaches other than Buffalo, and it was his contention that is why their offense looked so bad.

I find myself agreeing with this take. I understand the instinct to not suckup to Kyler, but if that is really an issue, it means Kyler is not the answer at QB. Regardless I don't think a defensive minded coach is a good move.
The GOAT is a defensive coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose