Would Brian Flores really be all that bad??

Should Cardinals hire Brian Flores as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 33 28.2%

• Total voters

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rightly suing the league. What should he do? Just let teams crap all over black coaches?
Now you’re playing the woke game? Get out of here with that nonsense. Is Steve Wilks, who’s suit Flores followed also a victim? Wilks failed. Flores failed. Everyone fails at some point in life. Daboll is a better coach and has proven it. Grow up and stop crafting narratives to suit your opinion. Flores is middling at best. Period.

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Well, after reading most all of these opinions it doesn't appear we really want any of these guys already mentioned. Hopefully, Mr B has some more exciting ones up his sleeve he is saving for last.

Surprise us with someone we have never heard of, that way we won't have any reason to criticize him before he even gets started. Or better yet, hire someone who has had great success elsewhere, even if it wasn't as a head coach yet. I want a winner, not some recycled loser who comes packaged with excuses.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had a decent injury depleted roster. Not to mention playing 2nd/3rd string QB for a huge chunk of the season, BW not nearly as good as FItz. Comparison not quite the same.

As they did the year before. Brissett was the backup. Not Fitz. Tua missed a bunch of games. Davante Parker missed 8. McCourty missed most the season.

This years roster still had tonnes more talent. I'll give you Skylar Thompson playing 3.5 games didn't help but I think them being better is overplayed.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are just going to ignore that they went from being ranked 22nd in points and 25th in yards to being ranked 11th in points and 6th in yards? In the first year of a new offense. Also, no credit for actually making the playoffs...just going to point out how the previous guy almost made it after a poor start to the season. Suddenly scoring differential is the only stat that matters?

I had to recognize this about my opinion on Kliff. My arguments in support of him all had a catch. If this. If that. In the end, I recognized Kliff was what he was. Circumstances be damned. If you just take Flores's resume for what it was without projecting all of the if's and but's there is just nothing special there.

Credit for making the playoffs? They went 9-8 this year. That's worse than the 10-7 and 9-7 years under Flores when they didn't make the playoffs.

How's that on Flores or a win for McDaniel? That's 100% down to what other teams did. The bar for Flores getting in was higher and dropped for McDaniel.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The Dolphins Didn’t Fire Brian Flores Because of His Coaching

Flores overachieved in Miami. But he and owner Stephen Ross reportedly didn’t agree on much—especially on Tua Tagovailoa—and that prompted the team to make the stunning decision to move on from the promising head coach.
You must be registered for see images attach
www.theringer.com

He lost it because of the relationships he struggled to make and maintain. That message has been delivered, loud and clear. NFL Network’s Steve Wyche said that “coaches don’t often get fired for coaching reasons.” ESPN’s Jeff Darlington said Flores’s “relationship with [Dolphins GM Chris] Grier and Tua [Tagovailoa] had deteriorated to a pretty bad place.” And Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said “an organization can only function if it’s collaborative and works well together.”

Now, not every player loved Flores—again, Flores’s demeanor is clearly not for everybody. Minkah Fitzpatrick wanted a trade for a reason, believing Flores “had no clue who he was as a player and didn’t care to find out,” as Ty Dunne of Bleacher Report would report.

Flores hired his third (and fourth?) offensive coordinator in three years on the Dolphins job: promoting running backs coach Eric Studesville and tight ends coach George Godsey to co-offensive coordinator roles.

That Tua and the offense didn’t work for the second year in a row is Flores’s fault, in the sense that he is the head coach, and the Sunday product is his responsibility. Flores’s abrasiveness has made it tough for him to attract offensive coaches to work under him. Of his four offensive coordinators over three years, he hired two ex-Patriots positional coaches who had a combined total of one year of previous experience as an offensive coordinator, and two who were already on his staff. The only outside hire he made was luring Chan Gailey out of retirement, which was almost exclusively because Ryan Fitzpatrick was on the team, and which nobody else was trying to do. The head coach is responsible for the team, and Flores’s offenses never worked.

Ugh...i hate when I get into the same(ish) debate in two threads. I guess I will post this here as well.

This is basically a Dolphins ownership press release to justify their decision

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Flores? Personally, I'd be fine with him... But what about King Kyler? Surely, Mike B would need to gain Kyler's approval before hiring a defensive-focused Head Coach...or, perhaps the plan is to simply give Kyler free reign of the offense?
If Flores helps expedite the pouty midgets exit from the NFL or at least the Cards roster would a win in my book

Attachments

• midget-murray.jpg
    midget-murray.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Now you’re playing the woke game? Get out of here with that nonsense. Is Steve Wilks, who’s suit Flores followed also a victim? Wilks failed. Flores failed. Everyone fails at some point in life. Daboll is a better coach and has proven it. Grow up and stop crafting narratives to suit your opinion. Flores is middling at best. Period.
lmao what position did you play in football?

Far Right Tackle? :wave:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Woke game?

How is it remotely woke to sue your former employer for agregious treatment? The Fins set him up to fail and offered to pay him to lose games when he started winning.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it ironic that a guy that makes millions of dollars sues an organization for “ discrimination”.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are just going to ignore that they went from being ranked 22nd in points and 25th in yards to being ranked 11th in points and 6th in yards? In the first year of a new offense. Also, no credit for actually making the playoffs...just going to point out how the previous guy almost made it after a poor start to the season. Suddenly scoring differential is the only stat that matters?

I had to recognize this about my opinion on Kliff. My arguments in support of him all had a catch. If this. If that. In the end, I recognized Kliff was what he was. Circumstances be damned. If you just take Flores's resume for what it was without projecting all of the if's and but's there is just nothing special there.
This is how I kind of feel about ALL the coaching candidates. Other than Payton. And I say that because I feel Payton’s longevity and success are fairly an accepted fact. Other guys I just don’t think we know enough about to make definitive statements. I think that’s where GMs and owners have so much additional information to which we aren’t privy that second guessing anything but the most seemingly obvious choices (like passing on a Payton or hiring a recently canned losing college coach) is kind of an exercise in silliness.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah. I just don't get it. I mean, as a leader, isn't it on Flores that news leaked that he wanted Herbert and not Tua? I mean, Flores was the only person who benefitted in any way from that news leaking.
Gotta tell ya chop you’re leaning into a LOT of conjecture to build your case against Flores. I’m neither a fan nor a naysayer of his, but a lot (not all) of your arguments seem to be built on a house of cards. They might be right, but from the knowledge we collectively possess it’s pretty flimsy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I find it ironic that a guy that makes millions of dollars sues an organization for “ discrimination”.
Discrimination is discrimination at any level. I get it, they’re rich. But everything is relative. If you were in his shoes I’m sure you’d feel similarly. And just like him you’d live in an awesome house and drive awesome cars.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, do you think Flores would have been fired, IF, he would have done whatever his "boss" had instructed him to do?

What would you expect would happen if you intentionally and deliberately disobeyed your boss?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Woke game?

How is it remotely woke to sue your former employer for agregious treatment? The Fins set him up to fail and offered to pay him to lose games when he started winning.
Wasnt the real root cause of the lawsuit based on BB texting him instead of Daboll and congratulating him on the Giants gig? That he hadnt even interviewed for yet? The issue being that the rooney rule is in place to esentially provide owners an out. The Giants had no intention of hiring Flores, but they brought him in solely to satisfy the rule...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discrimination is discrimination at any level. I get it, they’re rich. But everything is relative. If you were in his shoes I’m sure you’d feel similarly. And just like him you’d live in an awesome house and drive awesome cars.
I get it. But I still find it ironic. Don’t want to take this any further.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So, do you think Flores would have been fired, IF, he would have done whatever his "boss" had instructed him to do?

What would you expect would happen if you intentionally and deliberately disobeyed your boss?
I think Flores’ argument is that he likely would have been fired no matter what.

Win and you get fired for not listening to the boss.

Lose and you get fired for not winning — no matter how terrible a situation you’re placed in. The Texans are currently looking for their third head coach in as many offseasons.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Flores’ argument is that he likely would have been fired no matter what.

Win and you get fired for not listening to the boss.

Lose and you get fired for not winning — no matter how terrible a situation you’re placed in. The Texans are currently looking for their third head coach in as many offseasons.

He's not suing Miami.

"Flores, now a senior defensive assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers readying to face his former Dolphins team on Sunday night, filed the suit shortly after his firing from the Miami Dolphins and subsequent interview with the New York Giants. He alleges he was part of sham interviews to skirt the Rooney Rule and was discriminated against based on his race. Former NFL defensive coordinator Ray Horton and current Panthers interim head coach Steve Wilks joined the suit in April, alleging similar discrimination with the Titans and Cardinals, respectively."

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasnt the real root cause of the lawsuit based on BB texting him instead of Daboll and congratulating him on the Giants gig? That he hadnt even interviewed for yet? The issue being that the rooney rule is in place to esentially provide owners an out. The Giants had no intention of hiring Flores, but they brought him in solely to satisfy the rule...

There are numerous claims. The prime one is being offered money to dump games. The 2nd is unfair hiring practices.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose