Isaiah Simmons and the 5th year option

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The window for extending 2020 1st round picks with the 5th year option has opened. So the question is do the Cardinals pick up Simmons 5th year option. Obviously we need to wait and see who the coaching staff is prior to making this decision. The Cardinals have until May 1st to pick up Simmons 5th year option.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Good news - I am sure MO scouted him, so he will be very familiar with him. It will be interesting what VJ tells him about Simmons and why he was used that way.

10.7m 5th year option for Simmons.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only way you don’t do it is if Michael screws up and keeps VJ around in some capacity. Then you would be doing Simmons a favor by letting him go to a team that would know how to use him. Otherwise, not much thought process in extending him for a 5th year. Simmons and Collins have been wasted under VJ in the same manner that Murray has been wasted under Kliff.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it's a no brainer. Absolutely pick it up..

The author of the article disagrees...

Coming into the draft, Simmons was touted as a Swiss Army knife-type playmaker, but he hasn't been the kind of do-everything star one might have hoped for, logging a total of 7.5 sacks and 16 passes defensed over this three seasons. The Cardinals are installing a new regime, including recently hired GM Monti Ossenfort , and at this point, I wouldn't invest in Simmons, who's started 37 of 50 regular-season games, past 2023.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I think you do.

Personally, I think we have seen the real Simmons at this point, however, I would like to see him in a different scheme to see if anything additional can be unlocked.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we hire ANY DC not named Vance Joseph I would just go strait to signing him to an extension .

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Absolutely take it.

One needs to see what he can be in a defense that uses him correctly. Next year is all but guaranteed to be a bust of a year, so at least see what you've got instead of going out and signing Raekwon McMillan or something.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Im assuming a new DC

and i think you have to pick it up to see if a new coach / scheme can get him to where he makes the consistent regular plays in addition to the splash plays

if you dont, i feel like its a 100% certainty that 1 of the other 31 teams will have a plan how to use him .... and we watch him leave and become an really good player

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Yes. You've seen the game changing plays he can make even as an unfinished product.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose