POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler's has a passer rating of 101 the last two seasons with Deandre Hopkins on the field. If we keep Hop, get Payton then Pac could very well have been right all along.

Regardless of who is hired we will finally get answers. Whether the bright spots were smoke and mirrors or if Kyler is for real.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler's has a passer rating of 101 the last two seasons with Deandre Hopkins on the field. If we keep Hop, get Payton then Pac could very well have been right all along.

Regardless of who is hired we will finally get answers. Whether the bright spots were smoke and mirrors or if Kyler is for real.
It could be good both ways if we do indeed get Payton. He could sell Hopkins on his vision of the team or he could just try & find a trade partner & garner at least a 1st round pick. I truly think with a strong running game & Kyler being under center we'll see his true ability. It's never gonna totally show if he stays in shotgun & tries to play the way he played in college & under KK. There's a reason why play action from under center has been around all this time, simply because it works. The split seconds it freezes the 2nd level of defense is a huge advantage.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way we're gonna know what Kyler can truly be until we get a coach that will put him under center & run a conventional NFL offense with play action & rollout bootlegs. He needs a strong running game & that will take the pressure off him & open up other things. Being in shotgun all the time doesn't fool a defense. When you're in shotgun it's easier to see & defend plus the RB can only go to the left or right. Being under center allows him to hide the ball on play action plus with him being so short, it plays to his advantage even more.
Amen! We have far too many posters who would rather just criticize Murray, even though Kingsbury’s weaknesses were exposed very early on. Murray’s skill set offset KK for a couple years, but eventually KK being outcoached week after week was too much for Kyler to overcome.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
2 of the playoff loses came at the hands of our beloved Redbirds, including the greatest playoff game ever and the Palmer Fitz miracle play!
and there is The Mock Commentator of the latter:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Amen! We have far too many posters who would rather just criticize Murray, even though Kingsbury’s weaknesses were exposed very early on. Murray’s skill set offset KK for a couple years, but eventually KK being outcoached week after week was too much for Kyler to overcome.
Kyler has his flaws but those can all be fixed with a good HC, insert Sean Payton. Kyler will be way better under him I just hope we get him. Having a proven SB winning HC he can trust will be just the thing he needs imo. Once Kliffy got figured out Kyler got frustrated with many things, KK, the OL, the scheme, burning TO's etc etc imo. I think he knows change will do him good & I'd be willing to bet you right now him & Sean Payton have already talked.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It could be good both ways if we do indeed get Payton. He could sell Hopkins on his vision of the team or he could just try & find a trade partner & garner at least a 1st round pick. I truly think with a strong running game & Kyler being under center we'll see his true ability. It's never gonna totally show if he stays in shotgun & tries to play the way he played in college & under KK. There's a reason why play action from under center has been around all this time, simply because it works. The split seconds it freezes the 2nd level of defense is a huge advantage.
Yep. I also think people underestimate how much Payton will adjust to his QB as well.

I watched Jameis Winston, under Payton, and he didnt have him doing a bunch of three step drops. Just wasnt his game. However, what he did do was put him under center and do enough play action to keep the defense honest.

He actually had Jameis doing ok without #1 WR Michael Thomas. When Brees was hurt he leaned on the run game with Teddy Bridgewater.

I think with Kliff he really had an issue figuring out Kyler when he's without Hopkins. People have to remember that Kyler played 4 full games with a #1 WR. Not just this season, but in the last 15 games he's played.

However, a guy like Payton has the experience and the ability to counter without a #1. He'd likely have us really leaning into the run game and doing play action to take the pressure off Kyler. That gives me hope in the event we do trade Hopkins. However, its why I really want him to stay.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He struggles with clock management at times just like Andy Reid. Inconsistent Dak is the big problem.

Well yeah but it's way down the list of concerns with a HC.

Its like a super model swiping right on your tinder to turn her down because she has 9 cats.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yep. I also think people underestimate how much Payton will adjust to his QB as well.

I watched Jameis Winston, under Payton, and he didnt have him doing a bunch of three step drops. Just wasnt his game. However, what he did do was put him under center and do enough play action to keep the defense honest.

He actually had Jameis doing ok without #1 WR Michael Thomas. When Brees was hurt he leaned on the run game with Teddy Bridgewater.

I think with Kliff he really had an issue figuring out Kyler when he's without Hopkins. People have to remember that Kyler played 4 full games with a #1 WR. Not just this season, but in the last 15 games he's played.

However, a guy like Payton has the experience and the ability to counter without a #1. He'd likely have us really leaning into the run game and doing play action to take the pressure off Kyler. That gives me hope in the event we do trade Hopkins. However, its why I really want him to stay.
Not only adjusting to his QB without a #1 receiver, I bet he'll actually motion his top receivers around the field instead of making them run the same route tree on the same side of the field at all times.

The likes of DeMeco Ryans, Raheem Morris, and Clint Hurtt will have no idea what to do when for the first time in four years, our #1 WR lines up on the opposite side of the field for a single play.

Hypothetically, we might even throw more than 50% of our passes across the line of scrimmage, instead of screens.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not only adjusting to his QB without a #1 receiver, I bet he'll actually motion his top receivers around the field instead of making them run the same route tree on the same side of the field at all times.

The likes of DeMeco Ryans, Raheem Morris, and Clint Hurtt will have no idea what to do when for the first time in four years, our #1 WR lines up on the opposite side of the field for a single play.

Hypothetically, we might even throw more than 50% of our passes across the line of scrimmage, instead of screens.

Traded Hop for a late first or early 2nd and using that pick on Boute or Jaxon Smith-Njigba seems like a huge win to me.

Rookie WRs are hitting the field running every season.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm good with or without Hopkins if we get Payton but everything you said makes sense.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn’t put it past Payton to join Houston.

- Much worse division than ours. Colts will be down for a long time imo. Titans will probably rebuild. Jags still need a lot.

- Choice if your own QB.

- A lot of draft capital.

Their franchise is dysfunctional, though. Just like ours.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

- Much worse division than ours. Colts will be down for a long time imo. Titans will probably rebuild. Jags still need a lot.

- Choice if your own QB.

mike B is far from perfect

but Cal McNair is ...................something. Like Mark Davis something

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

- Choice if your own QB.

They have a GM that has the owners ear...plus, do you see him living in Houston?