New Owner - Mat Ishbia

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn’t have three quasi owners during the off-season. Jones failed to address the needs of the team. Granted, injuries have killed the Suns this year, but they had glaring weaknesses before the injuries.

This supposes the Suns could have fixed all their problems during the past summer. The NBA doesn't always work this way, that's why they have trade deadlines. It's not wise to trade assets for less than fair value.

Of course, the Suns had glaring weaknesses this summer but determining where the restrictions on James Jones starts and ends is another matter. We are not even totally certain why Jae Crowder hasn't been traded, although there is speculation it was because he wouldn't start or be extended. I suspect we will find out more later.

The only big move the Suns made this past summer was matching Indiana's offer sheet for Deandre Ayton. This was something the Suns had previously said they would do when he became a restricted free agent. It was no surprise when the Suns did what they said they would do.

What were the other moves? Signing Bismack Biyombo, Damion Lee, Josh Okogie and Jock Landale to 1 year minimum type contracts; adding Duane Washington and Ish Wainright on two-way contracts and now adding Saban Lee on a 10-day contract.

Let's not forget Cam Johnson was not extended either.

There is a lot more to this story we have yet to find out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured this was the case. Sarver is still the owner whether he’s suspended or not and adding salary changes the value of an already agreed upon sale. It’s promising that Windhorst said Ishbia is trying to take control before the trade deadline.

This was the ray of sunshine in the matter. I hope the sale is completed soon.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the the instant reaction on here to that deal? I feel like today with social media/hot take shows a GM would’ve been publicly shamed out of a job for trading two unprotected picks to get rid of a guy with 1 year/$8m left on his deal….
Yeah it was probably understated compared to what you'd expect today but it was still panned immediately and for years afterward. The big question was always who was most to blame, Kerr or Sarver. I blame both.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't even want to hear it. I don't care. HISTORY
To the new owner "show me, don't tell me".

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He also said the trade market was tight. I just don't think there's a trade for Crowder without giving up assets.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also said the trade market was tight. I just don't think there's a trade for Crowder without giving up assets.
This maybe. However, most of the trade rumors have been 3 team scenarios which are really hard to pull off. JJ says he has no restrictions on trades right now and pulling off a 3 team trade is not like pulling off a normal trade. Lots of moving parts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This maybe. However, most of the trade rumors have been 3 team scenarios which are really hard to pull off. JJ says he has no restrictions on trades right now and pulling off a 3 team trade is not like pulling off a normal trade. Lots of moving parts.
I think JJ is doing what hireable GMs do by not throwing anyone else under the bus, especially anyone above him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The reason it needs to be a 3 way trade, is good teams want Crowder, and we want a youngish player with some potential. Those are not typically on the same team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason it needs to be a 3 way trade, is good teams want Crowder, and we want a youngish player with some potential. Those are not typically on the same team.
Huh? It typically needs to be a 3 team trade to match salaries and have enough pieces to make it work. Most of the rumored trades don't match salary wise.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They didn’t have three quasi owners during the off-season. Jones failed to address the needs of the team. Granted, injuries have killed the Suns this year, but they had glaring weaknesses before the injuries.
Yeah, but Sarver had control. We have just been discussing, and it has been revealed by different people, Sarver himself wanted the team to break even, and make his money on the back end on the sale of the team. Sarver wanted to win, but not at the expense of getting too far from that 50/50 break even mark each year.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mat Ishbia's purchase of the Suns is expected to be complete on Tuesday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted the numbers earlier and seems unreal that Sarver would be walking away with 1.5. billion. Then on top of if Ishbia bought more than just his stake. He also bout another 20% stake (57% total). Just this type of money being thrown around is unreal.

This likely also means Isbia can't be forced out by the other owners. Unlike Sarver, he now has a controlling interest in the team at 57%. Interesting that he ended up buying more than just Sarver's stake in the team.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted the numbers earlier and seems unreal that Sarver would be walking away with 1.5. billion. Then on top of if Ishbia bought more than just his stake. He also bout another 20% stake (57% total). Just this type of money being thrown around is unreal.

This likely also means Isbia can't be forced out by the other owners. Unlike Sarver, he now has a controlling interest in the team at 57%. Interesting that he ended up buying more than just Sarver's stake in the team.
I’m sure a few of the owners couldn’t pass up that amount of money

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose