DHop just PP21 All Over Again

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And who wants a big extension as part of that trade.
He's made himself so marketable, too. Does anyone want a guy who can be a top WR - when he wants to be - and plays in about 70% of your games when he is not injured or suspended for PEDs or tapping out because you have a bad record?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
guys-- this team is going nowhere fast. They need to sell off some assets.

They werent going anywhere WITH d-hop, just trade him for draft capital. its time to strip it down and start over with new braintrust.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PP and DHop are "me first" type of guys. They are great individual talents but not winners. PP said on the radio he would rather have a hall of fame jacket than a superbowl ring. I want a team with a unified mindset and team first culture.
And DHop was on Hard Knocks concerned that his HOF chances may be hurt with his suspension for PEDs rather than living in the now and seeing how he hurt this team and its chances to win. If anything, sitting out the last two games because things weren't going well is what should hurt your HOF chances. A real HOFer would suit up and play rather than take games off.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys-- this team is going nowhere fast. They need to sell off some assets.

They werent going anywhere WITH d-hop, just trade him for draft capital. its time to strip it down and start over with new braintrust.
I only subscribe to this if we hire an outside GM making the call.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we trade him, is non-guaranteed $19 million salary is an utter steal for the team that gets him. They’d likely to be thrilled to tack on an additional 2-3 years and guarantee the salaries for 2023 and 2024 plus bonuses.

It’s literally what happened with his deal coming here. It’s hard for us to add new money to his deal when he has a $30 million cap charge if nothing happens—unless we want to create salary cap overhang for post-2025.
Very true.

So no incentive to get an extension done with us anyways, since the acquiring team views it as a steal.

At least not in a way that hampers our cap status worse than it would be anyways.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And DHop was on Hard Knocks concerned that his HOF chances may be hurt with his suspension for PEDs rather than living in the now and seeing how he hurt this team and its chances to win. If anything, sitting out the last two games because things weren't going well is what should hurt your HOF chances. A real HOFer would suit up and play rather than take games off.

If we planned to trade Hopkins before season ended, which we probably did, it's extremely short-sighted to play him. Literally no reason to risk an injury just so fans can get excited for watching him for a few minutes or have 3 catches for 15 yards.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Compares but doesnt equates. PP21 was vocal about his displeasure. D-Hop has mostly kept to himself.

"Snakes in the grass."

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not about Kyler and there is zero chance he stays.
Kyler is a factor is this on some level but it is likely only a small factor unless Kyler in the locker room is a complete disaster.

This is mostly about money but there are variables nudging one direction or the other

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is a factor is this on some level but it is likely only a small factor unless Kyler in the locker room is a complete disaster.

This is mostly about money but there are variables nudging one direction or the other
Did you just call Kyler a "small factor"?

Well played. :cool:

SteveKeimFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
if I was a alpha male WR like Hopkins i would not want to play with a QB under 6 foot who is scared of taking hits and doesnt throw deep.

I would demand a trade to a team with 6’6 QB with a big arm like Josh Allen.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

its 100% about contract and the suspension.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably missing the obvious but why would his suspension make him want a trade? Does he think the Cards didn't help him or something? Because IIRC there's not much the team can do when a player fails a test he fails a test.

I can get the contract part but I just don't off hand get why him being suspended for PED's would lead to him wanting a trade.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I agree. Just look at how he played with Kyler, when he came back from suspension. He was tops in the NFL in Catches/Yards I believe during that stretch.
Agreed. Don't think it is about Kyler at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So presumably this greatly increases the odds of us keeping Hollywood although I already expected we probably would. Unless the new GM and Coach has a different plan

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm probably missing the obvious but why would his suspension make him want a trade? Does he think the Cards didn't help him or something? Because IIRC there's not much the team can do when a player fails a test he fails a test.

I can get the contract part but I just don't off hand get why him being suspended for PED's would lead to him wanting a trade.
suspended players lose their salary... but not their bonuses...a team can convert salary to bonus, thus protecting the player from losing millions due to a suspension. we didnt do it foe peterson, and apparently not for hopkins either.
which I am fine with. accountability hurts sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA