Jim Harbaugh Back to the NFL?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is he buying out KK's contract or is it offset?
I get the offset if he stays in the NFL but is there typically offset language if a coach goes to the college ranks? Feels like we might be making up that part of consideration but I really don’t know

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Payton is more likely to fix Kyler and get the most out of him in my opinion. Which is really what it's all about.

I could see Kyler and Harbaugh really not getting along and I don't trust Harbaugh to bring in an OC good enough to fix this offense. His coaching tree on that side of the ball outside of Greg Roman is guys like John Morton and Geep Chryst.

I don't see him putting a good offensive coaching team together.

In a surprise announcement, new Cardinals head coach Jim Harbaugh has selected Drew Brees as his offensive coordinator and quarterback coach.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Athletic has a succinct analysis, “Harbaugh brings an unmatched level of intensity that can energize a program while uniting and inspiring players through the power of his convictions, no matter how corny some of his antics would seem if others tried to employ them. On the down side, he is not the sort of coach who is going to install schemes and tweak them to fit personnel or exploit opponents. That makes Harbaugh more dependent than some coaches on the assistants he hires.”

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Athletic has a succinct analysis, “Harbaugh brings an unmatched level of intensity that can energize a program while uniting and inspiring players through the power of his convictions, no matter how corny some of his antics would seem if others tried to employ them. On the down side, he is not the sort of coach who is going to install schemes and tweak them to fit personnel or exploit opponents. That makes Harbaugh more dependent than some coaches on the assistants he hires.”
I think Harbaugh is the home run hire - he knows the NFC West, doesn't cost a pick, and most importantly, he brings in an entirely new mindset.

Give him what he needs in terms of assistants and find a GM that works well with him. He's a weirdo, but he'd be our weirdo.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Harbaugh is the home run hire - he knows the NFC West, doesn't cost a pick, and most importantly, he brings in an entirely new mindset.

Give him what he needs in terms of assistants and find a GM that works well with him. He's a weirdo, but he'd be our weirdo.
And in 5 years when he's burned out and burnt every bridge in AZ?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Lol, worrying about 5 years ahead in the NFL. He wins, and he brings big culture change. The people who don't like his style are probably the people you wouldn't want around anyway.
Sure, he may win...may get to the SB...did you see what San Francisco went through after he left? I would hope we can find a coach who can actually be with the Cards more long-term (never had a coach last 6 years??? lol) with winning and stability.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure, he may win...may get to the SB...did you see what San Francisco went through after he left? I would hope we can find a coach who can actually be with the Cards more long-term (never had a coach last 6 years??? lol) with winning and stability.
This is a remarkably bad take.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
This is a remarkably bad take.
Why? Because I think they can find a coach who can be just as good as Jim AND have the ability to stay longer? I won't hate on Harbaugh, if he's hired, he's just not my favorite pick.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Can't tell if serious? Do you remember how bad the Niners were before Harbaugh got there? In his first season with the Niners (2011), he took them to the NFC championship game. This is after they had missed the playoffs every year since 2002! He made the NFC championship game the first 3 seasons he was in SF, and a super bowl.

I'll sign up for the Jim Harbaugh experience all day if we get a redux of what he did in SF, and I'm sure 95% of the board would as well. He IS culture change, he knows the NFL, and he's our best shot of trying to fight the momentum of decades of being a poverty franchise.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Why? Because I think they can find a coach who can be just as good as Jim AND have the ability to stay longer? I won't hate on Harbaugh, if he's hired, he's just not my favorite pick.
In a perfect world we would all want that, but we are the Cardinals and seem to take our medicine in spurts.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Can't tell if serious? Do you remember how bad the Niners were before Harbaugh got there? In his first season with the Niners (2011), he took them to the NFC championship game. This is after they had missed the playoffs every year since 2002! He made the NFC championship game the first 3 seasons he was in SF, and a super bowl.

I'll sign up for the Jim Harbaugh experience all day if we get a redux of what he did in SF, and I'm sure 95% of the board would as well. He IS culture change, he knows the NFL, and he's our best shot of trying to fight the momentum of decades of being a poverty franchise.
Look, I get it...He would be good...He'd be short term, like BA. Niners were trash before he got there and for about 4-5 years after he left (Shanny just got to 1 game over .500 this year). It would be very similar to where we are now, 5 years post BA. Everything coaches like Harbaugh and BA do is for the short-term, immediate fix and turnaround, which is fine...Just know that it won't last and we will be having this argument for a new coach again in 2027. Personally, I'd love to be able to go 8-10 years of winning stability and I think there are options available right now, that can possibly provide that. That's just me, though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’s cool if you want to side with ownership. Those are the guys who had a problem with Jim. His players loved him; once he left they retired because Jim Tomsula was a toady for York.

Harbaugh is an intense weirdo, but there’s zero evidence he burns anyone out except the bosses who disagree with him.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m hearing frantic Michigan push to keep him. Also hearing Denver if he leaves.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m hearing frantic Michigan push to keep him. Also hearing Denver if he leaves.
Hoping Denver hires him ASAP and gives us an opportunity at a lower cost SP.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Harbaugh would be my #1 choice by far. The guy can coach.

He’s not an ******* at all. He’s just a bit set in his ways.

Thought he had the Vikings job last year and interviewed that way. He didn’t turn them down, he was never offered.

Michigan made him take a pay cut 2 years ago. Don’t think he’s forgotten that.

He’d be ideal for the Cards. No nonsense winner. Who cares how he is at press conferences. He’ll win.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’d like to know why people don’t like Harbaugh. He’s won everywhere and on every level. And, just not win marginally, he’s won at a high %.
He’s the anti-Kingsbury, who, for some reason, people liked as a choice for HC.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harbaugh would be my #1 choice by far. The guy can coach.

He’s not an ******* at all. He’s just a bit set in his ways.

Thought he had the Vikings job last year and interviewed that way. He didn’t turn them down, he was never offered.

Michigan made him take a pay cut 2 years ago. Don’t think he’s forgotten that.

He’d be ideal for the Cards. No nonsense winner. Who cares how he is at press conferences. He’ll win.
Couldn’t agree more. And for those that think he’ll only be around for a short while, keep in mind that Payton & Harbaugh were born 6 days apart. We had a young HC in Kingsbury, who could have been around for many, many years. How did that work out? The days of having HC’s around for a decade + are over. I loved what I heard what Payton had to say about how he would use Murray, but I would also be ECSTATIC if we hired Jim Harbaugh.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If there is one less, highly desired HC on the market, that would likely increase the cost for Payton, not lower it.

I guess that actually depends on his preferences and if Denver is high up there, and/or the potential biggest cash offer is now off the table for SP's incentive. I don't think a few of the teams looking for a HC have a high chance with Payton, i.e Colts/Panthers/Texans.