Who's your candidate to take over as GM?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's all hope Keim is finished. In which case who would you like to be the next GM?

There's nothing else to look forward to so may aswell!

There are multiple guys I like and I'll cover more later but I'll start with a "realistic" option. I'm not sure anyone in the Ravens FO is leaving to come here and this is someone we could almost certainly bring on who's an outside hire.

Former Texans GM - Rick Smith

Smith was the Texans GM for 16 years and during that time only had 4 losing seasons with a 3-4 playoff record. Despite being on one of the worst franchises in the league with one of it's worst owners.

Smith left in 2017 to be with his dying wife who sadly passed in 2019. He's been looking for another NFL opportunity for a couple of years.

He drafted players such as JJ Watt, Deshaun Watson, Brian Cushing, D-Hop, Swearinger, Brandon Brooks, Whitney Mercilus, Clowney, DJ reader, Duane Brown etc

He did however sign Brock Osweiler. But nobody is perfect.

He was one of the youngest GM's ever so despite years of experience he's still only 52.

He also drafted DeMeco Ryans so there is a good connection there and a Rick Smith / DeMeco Ryan's combo would be attractive to a lot of players.

Probably not anyone's sexy pick (including me) but a solid, experienced GM that is available and looking for another shot.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a pick. With that said, I want 2 things to happen.

1. They actually keep the indefinite part of Keim's absence.
2. They do not hire AW Or Quentin Harris. We need fresh blood.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Let's all hope Keim is finished. In which case who would you like to be the next GM?

There are multiple guys I like and I'll cover more later but I'll start with a "realistic" option. I'm not sure anyone in the Ravens FO is leaving to come here and this is someone we could almost certainly bring on who's an outside hire.

Smith was the Texans GM for 16 years and during that time only had 4 losing seasons with a 3-4 playoff record. Despite being on one of the worst franchises in the league with one of it's worst owners.

Smith left in 2017 to be with his dying wife who sadly passed in 2019. He's been looking for another NFL opportunity for a couple of years.

He drafted players such as JJ Watt, Deshaun Watson, Brian Cushing, D-Hop, Swearinger, Brandon Brooks, Whitney Mercilus, Clowney, DJ reader, Duane Brown etc

He was one of the youngest GM's ever so despite years of experience he's still only 52.

He also drafted DeMeco Ryans so there is a good connection there and a Rick Smith / DeMeco Ryan's combo would be attractive to a lot of players.

Probably not anyone's sexy pick (including me) but a solid, experienced GM that is available and looking for another shot.
I'm down for this...I don't blame him for Osweiller at all...This was when BOB was starting his power play to push Rick out and be defacto GM. I think he had a lot to do with that signing...I even remember him remarking that they never even met or spoke to him, before agreeing to the contract.

He may not be flashy, but he could stabilize the front office and franchise.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Realistic solid choice...which is usually not in the Cardinal playbook

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory in my head is Bidwill wants Payton and Payton indicated they have no chance with Keim as GM so Bidwill is trying to make organization more appealing to Payton, thus the sudden news about Keim stepping away. Not sure if Mickey Loomis can be lured away from NO but Bidwill needs to find a proven team builder and not some chump who is going to turn Payton off.

Not sure I would give Payton GM title, never works out giving head coaches that kind of authority, Parcells, Ditka & O'Brien crashed and burned. I would love to have Ozzie Newsome but his age and total loyalty to BAL organization rule him out.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
It needs to be someone from outside the organization and I believe it will be. This franchise needs to be completely overhauled. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Eric Bieneimy considered For Head Coach and bring in a Chiefs style attitude

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Who cares not like these guys pick good players. Plus whoever we hire will in theory have been somewhere where they have been scouting players anyways.
I think there are previous mentions of draft guys and scouts who have wanted certain players drafted, only to be overruled by SK.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think there are previous mentions of draft guys and scouts who have wanted certain players drafted, only to be overruled by SK.
But was Keim was standing on a table begging Graves to take Adrian Peterson he tells us (15 years after the fact of course)!

It’s weird because I was on my financial advisors desk begging him to buy Apple stock in 2005 too. Trust me!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But was Keim was standing on a table begging Graves to take Adrian Peterson he tells us (15 years after the fact of course)!

It’s weird because I was on my financial advisors desk begging him to buy Apple stock in 2005 too. Trust me!
He also really wanted Jay Cutler but NO ONE WOULD LISTEN.

To the OP, I don't think we have enough information about either the inner workings of an NFL front office or the potential candidates to have an informed conversation on this topic. Rick Smith is a good name, but he also got pushed out by first a head coach that immediately failed in the GM role and then an evangelical preacher who ingratiated himself to ownership.

Tough beat.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never liked this hire and wouldn't mind if he is sent packing as well:

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eliot Wolf (born March 21, 1982) is an American football executive and scout who is currently the director of scouting for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He was previously the assistant general manager of the Cleveland Browns, and before that, he served in the Green Bay Packers' scouting department for 14 seasons.

The thing I wonder about Wolf is that he's been on the "GM candidate list" for 5-6 years, had several interviews but never heard of him being in serious contention so is there something wrong there? Didn't get Bears or Vikings last year losing out to "lesser" candidates.

He's also on his 4th job role in 5 years.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And how exactly do I prove that, given the return on investment is a year, years away?

(I'll take my knowledge and peddle it somewhere else; thank you very much.)

By being well organised. Knowledgeable. A clear communicator. And generally competent at your job. Like all jobs.

100% some scouts are retained. No way they replace them all. Not year 1 anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose