Who's your candidate to take over as GM?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
By being well organised. Knowledgeable. A clear communicator. And generally competent at your job. Like all jobs.

100% some scouts are retained. No way they replace them all. Not year 1 anyway.

Sure, and if that describes me as a scout, I'm not moving forward with an organization that says my job terminates on the day of the draft, which was the earlier hypothetical counter-proposal to the suggestion to clean house entirely. The Cards have a right to the contents of my computer gathered as their employee, but not what I have from the neck up, and I'll find somewhere else to peddle those wares.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Who cares not like these guys pick good players. Plus whoever we hire will in theory have been somewhere where they have been scouting players anyways.
Yes, but scouting is such a siloed operation that you wouldn't want to lose a year's worth of work. That is a reason scout's start gathering so early. There is just so much legwork that needs to be gathered, checked, consolidated and presented that no one has any significant part of the whole until much closer to the draft.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Azevedo from Baltimore.

Ozzie Newsome gets all the credit but the staff are the ones providing him solid players to choose from. Azevedo has moved up in the ranks steadily since 2013.... GM would be a big promotion and a huge opportunity for him and he isnt likely to get that chance in Baltimore being in competition with Ozzie Newsomes son.
A scout does not rise to assistant Director of player personnel without making positive impact.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Azevedo from Baltimore.

Ozzie Newsome gets all the credit but the staff are the ones providing him solid players to choose from. Azevedo has moved up in the ranks steadily since 2013.... GM would be a big promotion and a huge opportunity for him and he isnt likely to get that chance in Baltimore being in competition with Ozzie Newsomes son.
A scout does not rise to assistant Director of player personnel without making positive impact.

Your last sentence describes the even more impressive rise by Keim. ;)

Last edited:

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t know why Adrian Wilson’s name keeps coming up. Just a few years ago he was trying to get a high school defensive coordinator position.

Most likely the NFL owners will get together and force someone for Bidwill to hire.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Daniel Jeremiah would do a fine job, only thing is that he has no experience. He's very knowledgeable about teams strengths & weaknesses on ESPN & during the draft. But if we somehow hire Payton then obviously whoever he's comfortable with.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You guys keep dreaming..Sean Payton, Loomis or any one worth a penny wouldn't touch this franchise.. ..if there are 32 Coach/GM openings, Cardinals will get the 32 best candidate in the cycle. You need to stop dreaming and start living.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really don’t know enough about potential qualified candidates, but someone who can talk and chew gum at the same time would be a nice improvement. :lol:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having not been been working with members of the FO on daynto day basis, my opinion is worth jack bleep.

That said, it seems to me that NE “discovers gold” (i.e. unknowns who get the job done“) more frequently than other teams and that we could do far worse than hire the NE guy (R Smith)

What I don’t know is which guy is a straght-shooter, does what is necessary to make tough decisions, can and will set a winning team culture etc.

For these reasons - like I said earlier - my superficial opinions aren’t worth bleep. You want the right guy/not just a guy whose good at one or two things.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. I just want MB out of the decision making process afterwards. Make your hires, step aside and let them do their jobs. If he can hire a GM that would work together closely with it's head coach, preferably Payton..then that's the best we can reasonably hope for IMO.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm looking at mainly outside the top candidates because I don't believe we can attract the top guys from the Ravens, Eagles or Chiefs.

My next outside shot is,

Patriots Director of player personnel - Matt Groh

He's only been Director of Player Personnel for a year and was only Director of college scouting for one year before that but that rise shows how much they think of him.

Came up as a scout and area scout with the Pats since 2011. Played QB at Princeton and is the son of Al Groh. Has degrees in law and psychology and practiced law for a few years before switching to football.

Knows how a good org should be run and has had two really good drafts the last 2 years. He's especially good at finding late round talent that can start.

Its early for him but the Cards probably have to reach. And someone is going to make him a GM in the next few years.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm looking at mainly outside the top candidates because I don't believe we can attract the top guys from the Ravens, Eagles or Chiefs.

My next outside shot is,

Patriots Director of player personnel - Matt Groh

He's only been Director of Player for a year and was only Director of college scouting for one year before that but that rise shows how much they think of him.

Came up as a scout and area scout with the Pats since 2011. Played QB at Princeton and is the son of Al Groh. Has degrees in law and psychology and practiced law for a few years before switching to football.

Knows how a good org should be run and has had two really good drafts the last 2 years. He's especially good at finding late round talent that can start.

Its early for him but the Cards probably have to reach. And someone is going to make him a GM in the next few years.

I’ve met the Groh’s. One of our good friends is best friends with Mike (oldest brother who has coached alongside his dad for years). Really nice family. Very smart, all of them.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any media hire would be a huge mistake. Mayock was a complete disaster and he was known as the best talent evaluator among all the draft "experts".
Are you referring to Riddick? He was a front office guy before he was a media guy. John Lynch was in the broadcast booth for about eight years before becoming SF GM with no front office experience.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Not against Wilson or Harris necessarily. Plenty of times I've sat in a meeting and not agreed with my boss on a decision. However, it would certainly be interesting to see an outside hire even if it's just to inject some new perspectives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose