What I Saw

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well, as I mentioned I’m on the road and had to watch the game on NFL Plus. I don’t recommend the service. It seemed to lack a dashboard and I didn’t like having to manually bypass commercials. Also the fast forward had no window to pinpoint the place you were seeking.

As to the game, my knee jerk reaction was McCoy looked much better than Murray. He used all his receivers. He read the defense and appeared to know the best place to go with the ball before the snap. Considering he likely had only limited work with most of these guys, his timing was good. McCoy rarely threw into coverage. He made some good fakes in the running game. He was poised and the receivers showed confidence that the ball would be there. They wanted to win.

On further reflection I reminded myself to keep in mind the Rams were likely going nowhere. They also had their backup QB and seemed easily discouraged. They did not seem to want the game very badly. Their vaunted defensive line never created an atmosphere of pressure despite facing a makeshift O-line. I’d start McCoy again if only to let Kyler know in the NFL, you earn a starting job. It could backfire if the Cards get killed, but at this point the Cards have little to lose. This is still a bad them, but admittedly they played harder for McCoy.

As to the game plan, it looked routine to me. I did see a 2 man game, though a penalty killed it. McCoy was under center and that made the plays less predictable. They got the ball out fast, but I suspect Murray’s failure to do that was caused more by indecision. It simply seemed like there was less chaos on the field, so Kingsbury needed to do less.

I got roasted on the board a few weeks ago when I suggested benching Murray and telling him, he needed to play like a winner. McCoy won’t beat teams like the Bills and maybe not the Niners, be he won’t play like he’s intimidated. He no longer has a lot to lose, so he plays like he intends to win. Murray plays not to lose. When Murray shows the same determination McCoy displayed, I’d let him start again. It’s almost always nice to win.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly a backup QB with nothing to lose and zero expectations can play a lot more free. And a game plane to get the ball out super quick. And while not crazy efficient some commitment to the run as in Connor with more than 20 carries. Much more balanced attack and different playcalling that usual to an extent. We will see if he starts again against a team that is not in total disarray and played with half hearted effort! You can’t tell me they played hard because Donald alone could destroy our Oline in its current form they looked like they just going through the motions.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears Murray is lost. Making it on athletic ability is no longer working. Defense dictate what he can or thinks he can do and when that option disappears he attempts to escape or is sacked.
There was one play where McCoy was under center, faked a handoff left and rolled to the right. He ended up running for a first down. WHY don’t we do that with Kyler. McCoy had all day
I also thought throwing on our first 11 plays was very smart. It was different and it seemed to surprise the Rams. It certainly set an aggressive tone even though it was basically short passes.
McCoy just showed so much calm, poise, experience and solid mechanics. For the first time in a long time I didn’t feel this offense was totally inept.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Exactly a backup QB with nothing to lose and zero expectations can play a lot more free. And a game plane to get the ball out super quick. And while not crazy efficient some commitment to the run as in Connor with more than 20 carries. Much more balanced attack and different playcalling that usual to an extent. We will see if he starts again against a team that is not in total disarray and played with half hearted effort! You can’t tell me they played hard because Donald alone could destroy our Oline in its current form they looked like they just going through the motions.
I thought one of the improvements was giving Connor most of the snaps. He's not a HR hitter but he'll usually get 2-3 more yards than are blocked for. That's important with a makeshift O-line.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought one of the improvements was giving Connor most of the snaps. He's not a HR hitter but he'll usually get 2-3 more yards than are blocked for. That's important with a makeshift O-line.
Yep a coherent game plan how many games have we seen that this season honestly? Notice Kliff didn’t have colt slinging it 40-50 times, when we were winning last season it was a balanced attack period! Have to keep the D honest and not constant 3rd and longs!

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I noticed that the whole team looked like they were enjoying playing, maybe due to us being ahead for once. The energy level seemed different to me. Colt was not only far from perfect, but he was a bit lucky too. He threw into triple coverage a few times and should have been intercepted a couple times.

The funniest thing I noticed in the game was when it was third down at some point and KK called for his typical swing pass to the back 4 yds behind the los. Half the Rams team was already either out there waiting for it or on the way quickly. It was like we told them what the play was going to be.

I think KK didn't try to be so tricky with Colt running the offense, and it was a huge improvement. Made me think that all our players surrounding our QB are a lot better than we think they are when Murray is at QB. For whatever reason, everyone looks anemic with Murray except for a couple guys.

Maybe today's game and what we are taking away from it is more of an anomaly. But I still would rather ditch Murray and go back to drafting or getting a more traditional QB. It would literally kill me to have to watch 4 more years of the Cards with him at QB. I simply don't like that style of play. I am a football traditionalist.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the Rams were cooked. I called it when they let Brady walk down the field for a game winner. Even Donald was disinterested.

Ehhh doubtful He hasn’t shown the ability to do that against anybody this season. The throws over the middle of the field would’ve been nonexistent that we saw from McCoy today.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought Colt played well and did everything that was asked of him. You can't really ask for more out of your backup QB.

I also think the perception that the offense looked completely different with him running it is pretty skewed. 77% of his targets were to Moore and Nuk, so he didn't spread it around any more than usual. He threw a bomb to our smallest receiver on 4th and 2 that was completed due to a spectacular catch. He threw a fade to AJ Green in the EZ instead of Nuk. His longest completion going into the 4th quarter was 14 yards. These are similar decisions to the ones Kyler gets panned for on a weekly basis. They results just worked out for Colt.

Again, I am not trying to take anything away from Colt or defend Kyler too much. I just think there are a lot of conclusions being drawn on a generally odd game. Still great to get a win, though!

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, very surprised you didn't mention the play of our CB's and how much they improved since you roasted them at the start of the season. Or maybe it was your opinion that they might be the first group to go through the entire season w/o any TO's, that motivated them. :)
I thought the Rams phoned it in. I hope any NFL CB playing against a backup QB who started maybe 5 times in his life would look okay. It didn’t hurt that the pass rush contributed a nice game. I saw Hamilton playEd several downs. I saw Wilson give a big cushion and get beat for a score. He still gives too much room and rarely looks back for the ball on go routes or posts. I will say the safety play has been decent this season and I’ve never seen a player do what Baker did and play with a high ankle sprain a week after injury. That was incredible.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of McCoy but Kyler would’ve eaten up that Rams D today. If anything having Colt gives the team some patience with Murray to get 100%.
Yeah that’s the good excuse-making. Put a completely unprovable counter-factual out there.

Actually Kyler probably would have won this game by 30!

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I thought Colt played well and did everything that was asked of him. You can't really ask for more out of your backup QB.

I also think the perception that the offense looked completely different with him running it is pretty skewed. 77% of his targets were to Moore and Nuk, so he didn't spread it around any more than usual. He threw a bomb to our smallest receiver on 4th and 2 that was completed due to a spectacular catch. He threw a fade to AJ Green in the EZ instead of Nuk. His longest completion going into the 4th quarter was 14 yards. These are similar decisions to the ones Kyler gets panned for on a weekly basis. They results just worked out for Colt.

Again, I am not trying to take anything away from Colt or defend Kyler too much. I just think there are a lot of conclusions being drawn on a generally odd game. Still great to get a win, though!
He hit McBride, Ertz, Green twice, once for a score, and Connor 3 time. He hit Moore 9 times. I don’t recall him getting targeted like that previously. My conclusion was I’d like to see what happens if McCoy starts again. Seems like it’s worth a look just to get Murray’s attention.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose