Cardinals at Vikings gameday thread 10-30-22

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What does it really matter? They are trying to clean up their pre snap timing, which they are clearly struggling. If Kliff says to Kyler "6" in the headset then Kyler says the whole play in the huddle, it's a lot quicker than Kliff reading the whole play.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares about wristbands. Wristband doesn’t help Kyler process what he is seeing. Doesn’t keep him from being soft or making poor decisions. Doesn’t help him become a leader on any level. Have him wear a wristband that simply says: “Quit sucking so badly” and maybe you might get some tiny, minute result towards the positive

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Screens aside what don't you like about the play calling?

I agree that all screens should be banned. We don't have the WR's capable of blocking to run them. But the reality is that there are only 3-4 a game. They just stick in the memory.

But for the other 60+ plays I often find that when people say "bad play call" what they normally mean is "the result of that play call sucked". That's not to say there are not bad play calls, there are, every team has them.

But I'd say 90% of the time those "bad calls" are actually just badly executed plays.
At this moment, I think the issue about play calling is rather if Kliff calls a play that Kyler and our players can successfully execute rather than if he calls a good designed play. So Kliff should share blames to not put his players in the place to succeed.

Will Cardinals get better if Keim can get us better players? Yes. Will Cardinals get better if Kyler started yo study film and read defense? Yes. Will Cardinals get better if Kliff can adjust his scheme and play calls to his players' strength and weakness? Yes. But do I have confidence those three things are going to happen to Cardinals? Hell no.

Kliff might go to another team and succeed there; Kyler might play consistently at MVP level with another coach; Keim, well....... But I just do not see this three way marriage is going to work here.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is this hard? It's not about wearing one. It's about having to start in year 4 because **** is messed up.
Yeah, we all know that. They are having issues getting on the same page pre snap, getting delay of game penalties, and burning timeouts to avoid more.

They are trying to fix it. It's all about that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Britcard in here taking L after L, just like the Cardinals

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, Carson wore one in Cincinnati, and how do you know this picture is from his first year in the offense? It's a photo from practice. Really seems like you are just making stuff up here, dude.

Here's the gameday article about Mahomes v Brady this year...just a few weeks ago. I spy with my little eye a wristband on Mahomes left wrist.

Is this hard to understand? Nobody is bothered about QBs wearing wristbands.

Its about being forced to start in game 7 of year 4 because you're messing stuff up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, we all know that. They are having issues getting on the same page pre snap, getting delay of game penalties, and burning timeouts to avoid more.

They are trying to fix it. It's all about that.

Yes. And the solution bring Kyler wears a wristband should tell us all what the problem is.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This feels like triple counting the same thing. The sack, forced fumble and recovery were all the same play. Outside that one play I thought he was invisible.
True, he did have several good tackles on 3rd downs I recall, but nowhere close to his draft position expectations.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How is it more efficient unless its for him to check what the call is?

If he knows the play then it's less efficient to have to consult a wristband.

Its about being forced to start in game 7 of year 4 because you're messing stuff up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
vs the Chiefs a week or so ago (he has always worn one).

A lot of QBs do. What a lot of QBs don't do is go from not wearing one to wearing one. That is what tells you that they are trying to figure out how Kyler can communicate better and more efficiently in the huddles.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I once again love Isaiah Simmons.

Posting this everywhere I see fit. <-- Wasn't joking

Warning, some NSFW language in the audio.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I was just about to post this. Apparently Kyler isn't the only one not getting plays in time.

One of the refs yelled at Kliff to calm down yesterday, and he had to calm down the rest of the coaches. Our sideline looks chaotic way too often.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

How do we know it wasn't his idea? You keep saying the issue is he's forced to wear one, but reality is we are both speculating on that, at best.

Reaction score
I was just about to post this. Apparently Kyler isn't the only one not getting plays in time.

One of the refs yelled at Kliff to calm down yesterday, and he had to calm down the rest of the coaches. Our sideline looks chaotic way too often.

It was because they were on the field or too close. He was telling the other coaches to stay back farther.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Screens aside what don't you like about the play calling?

I agree that all screens should be banned. We don't have the WR's capable of blocking to run them. But the reality is that there are only 3-4 a game. They just stick in the memory.

But for the other 60+ plays I often find that when people say "bad play call" what they normally mean is "the result of that play call sucked". That's not to say there are not bad play calls, there are, every team has them.

But I'd say 90% of the time those "bad calls" are actually just badly executed plays.
There is no chance this is remotely accurate.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's nothing to do with getting the play in. The play is always in well before 15 seconds is left to run on the play clock.
Again, you have no idea. If kliff is only getting it in right at the cut off it creates a fire drill. Particularly if kliff is subbing groups late. Kyler is often looking to the sideline waiting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This.

Kyler didn't start wearing a playbook wristband for the fun of it.

Which is sad AF in year 4 because Kliff has one of the easiest verbiages and easy to understand schemes in the league from a play calling aspect.

It also brings into perspective why Kyler seems happier running no a huddle offense.
Lol. I swear you just make stuff up. Where have you heard this stated? I’d like sources and citations please.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because Kliff's playbook and verbiage is well known. It's based on air raid principles. It's been brought up many times in interviews over the last 3.5 years. Both with Kliff and Kyler.

It's how they can play so much no huddle. They have play calls that Kyler can call just with a hand signal. You probably saw him doing bulls horns last night (either that or he was jerking a couple of guys off). Or they can just muddle huddle and Kyler shouts "64".

He has plays that are just numbers (66H, 83, 64) and variations off that (65 Axle, 65H Arrow) he has plays just called Bubble, Chicago, Diesel, Dragon, Izzie (guessing this was an IG model), Indy Pump (Also maybe an IG model experience), Naked Pump (another IG experience), Sting, Twist, Chrome, Colt, Curly etc. He has/had a play called "Chains" which I'm sure you can guess what the concept looks like. We've seen it often enough.

It's literally high school level verbiage. It's the way college plays are designed because they don't get them from a speaker in their helmet like in the NFL. There's no "flip right double-X jet 36 counter naked waggle seven X quarter" for Kyler to recall.

From a Kyler's perspective it's great. It's exactly the same way you called plays your whole career. All you got to do is remember that "83" is the Y running a 12 yard dig, Z running a 15 yard In and H is running a 5 yard pivot.

But it's tough on everyone else. A typical NFL verbiage would contain shifts, the route concepts, the protections, the snap count, the alerts, the check-with-me's etc. Kliff's have none of that.

It's also why I keep saying that Kyler couldn't cope with a new HC. Unless you restrict your HC search to Lincoln Riley or similar.

He can't handle this Playskool playbook. No way on this earth could Kyler handle a fully fleshed out NFL offense without years of adjustment. Not because he can't, because he never had to and now he's entrenched in this system.

Talking about this reminded me of this clip from years ago. This must be 2015. Watch Cam Newton describe everything he is doing pre snap. In my opinion none of this is happening with Kyler.

And no @urs I don't hate Kyler. I just know he's playing poorly and understand what he isn't doing as a quarterback that he should be in year 4. Your only had to look at the difference between Cousins pre snap and Kyler pre snap in yesterdays game to see that.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think my new favorite thing in the board is brit doing a write up on all the flaws of kliff (as he did here about kliffs playbook) and ending it with “ . . . so it’s all kylers fault.” I’m here for it. It’s entertaining.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose