ASU's New Head Coach Is Kenny Dillingham

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Any coach that does well here will springboard into a big 10 or SEC gig so any momentum will be short lived.
I keep hearing this theory, but care to remember the last time that happened?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The best players didn't always leave Arizona. They have been neglected for too long.
It's not from a lack of effort from ASU - ASU wants to get the top 4-5 star players here, but that's not reality. The top kids from AZ always have wanted to get out, and that's not going to change by more recruiting.

Spending a ton of resources in AZ is a waste - ASU's best years are heavy Southern California class. As I mentioned before, ASU will rarely get the 4 and 5 star guys, and taking questionable guys just because they're from Arizona is a loser strategy.
Keep recruiting Southern California but let's build a home base in our own backyard.
Not the path to success - we need to build our home base in So Cal and supplement from other areas. Texas is too far away, not worth the effort.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not from a lack of effort from ASU - ASU wants to get the top 4-5 star players here, but that's not reality. The top kids from AZ always have wanted to get out, and that's not going to change by more recruiting.

Spending a ton of resources in AZ is a waste - ASU's best years are heavy Southern California class. As I mentioned before, ASU will rarely get the 4 and 5 star guys, and taking questionable guys just because they're from Arizona is a loser strategy.

Not the path to success - we need to build our home base in So Cal and supplement from other areas. Texas is too far away, not worth the effort.

There was a time local kids wanted to play for ASU. I'm not disagreeing the Sun Devils need to recruit in Southern California.

Edit: I added the word "not" to the above to read: I'm not disagreeing the Sun Devils need to recruit in Southern California.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There was a time local kids wanted to play for ASU.
Yeah, and that time has come and gone. From the early 2000s on, almost all the top 10 prospects go out of state. What is going to change that?

I'm disagreeing the Sun Devils need to recruit in Southern California.
Then you fundamentally misunderstand the market - ASU's best talent has always come from Southern California, and there are reasons for that. Being within driving distance is crucial for getting recruits - that's why Texas is less viable. On top of that, Southern California is ripe with talent. Even if you're not getting the top 10 kids, the second tier is better than most anything Arizona produces.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and that time has come and gone. From the early 2000s on, almost all the top 10 prospects go out of state. What is going to change that?

Then you fundamentally misunderstand the market - ASU's best talent has always come from Southern California, and there are reasons for that. Being within driving distance is crucial for getting recruits - that's why Texas is less viable. On top of that, Southern California is ripe with talent. Even if you're not getting the top 10 kids, the second tier is better than most anything Arizona produces.

I'm not misunderstanding the market.

What I want is ASU to be a blue chip destination for Arizona players. Some very good Arizona players went to ASU under Frank Kush.

I'm not debating the need for ASU to recruit Southern California. It has a much larger pool of talent.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not misunderstanding the market.

What I want is ASU to be a blue chip destination for Arizona players. Some very good Arizona players went to ASU under Frank Kush.

I'm not debating the need for ASU to recruit Southern California. It has a much larger pool of talent.
I'd love for it to happen again as well. What happened 50 years ago just isn't relevant to the here and now.

From the early 2000s on, almost all the top 10 prospects go out of state. What is going to fundamentally change that? How much in terms of resources are you going to devote to going to a well that doesn't produce water?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for it to happen again as well. What happened 50 years ago just isn't relevant to the here and now.

From the early 2000s on, almost all the top 10 prospects go out of state. What is going to fundamentally change that? How much in terms of resources are you going to devote to going to a well that doesn't produce water?

I think the right head coach dedicated to recruiting Arizona can impact the number of quality players that want to play here.

Some players want to play close to home and stay near friends and family.

It may take years to happen for an outside coach but Shaun Aguano already has those connections. I'd like to see him stay on in some capacity.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think the right head coach dedicated to recruiting Arizona can impact the number of quality players that want to play here.
How? What's going to change?
Some players want to play close to home and stay near friends and family.
Lol, based on what?

Do me a favor...go through year by year over the last 20 years.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2022/arizona

So basically none of these kids want to play close to home or stay near friends and family?
It may take years to happen for an outside coach but Shaun Aguano already has those connections. I'd like to see him stay on in some capacity.
Those years would probably be better spent building So Cal connections. Building an ASU program through Arizona kids just doesn't work, and hasn't worked for a long time.

Also, Aguano sticking around for a demotion seems highly unlikely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lol, based on what?

So basically none of these kids want to play close to home or stay near friends and family?

Those years would probably be better spent building So Cal connections. Building an ASU program through Arizona kids just doesn't work, and hasn't worked for a long time.

I've already expressed my thoughts. Times change but people seldom do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach Aguano emphazing there are good quarterbacks in Arizona. I do remember Danny White and Mike Pagel.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Danny White is pretty much the only thing I ever liked about the Cowboys. Couldn’t cheer that hard for say Jeffcoat because Dallas was winning Super Bowls.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really hope that Deion Sanders stays put where he is for many years and does not become ASU's next coach. Check out this interview, the work he is doing for the HBCU's and Jackson State is too important.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a wonderful story. If Deion Sanders does leave Jackson State, he would be a great hire.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a wonderful story. If Deion Sanders does leave Jackson State, he would be a great hire.

I think he would be too. Imagine if all retired athletes "gave back" like he does. Those HBCU schools look like a mess and really need the help. Pretty solid point when he said that the high schools in Texas have better facilities. And the water crisis in Jackson Mississippi, WTF?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone around here (@ASUCHRIS maybe?) said ASU needs someone who doesn’t look at this job like a stepping stone. Deion would certainly view this as a stepping stone job.

The hard part is find multiple candidates who view the ASU job as their pinnacle and who will fight to stay here vs looking for the exit to bigger and better things

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Someone around here (@ASUCHRIS maybe?) said ASU needs someone who doesn’t look at this job like a stepping stone. Deion would certainly view this as a stepping stone job.

The hard part is find multiple candidates who view the ASU job as their pinnacle and who will fight to stay here vs looking for the exit to bigger and better things
Ha, def not. We haven't had a head coach leave because they were too good for ASU in a long time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, def not. We haven't had a head coach leave because they were too good for ASU in a long time.

Yeah, but John Cooper was one. Right now I like what I'm seeing from Shaun Aguano.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lol, based on what?

Of course you don't base the program on just Arizona kids being your best players. But, there has been a parade of great talent out of this state a long time. Arizona is far from elite in high school talent. But there are a lot of damn good players sprinkled all across the country. Including QBs.

No good reason to write them all off for ever after. Why not start getting a few to stay and play in state? It doesn't mean you give up on So Cal and Texas.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Of course you don't base the program on just Arizona kids being your best players.
Who ever suggested such an idea?
But, there has been a parade of great talent out of this state a long time.
Yeah, I agree, which is why I posted the history. Nearly all of them have gone away from ASU. Do you honestly think there has been no effort made to build relationships with the local schools?
Arizona is far from elite in high school talent. But there are a lot of damn good players sprinkled all across the country. Including QBs.
Maybe in terms of volume, but AZ has some elite kids. If you can figure out how to get them to stay in AZ, you'd be a rich man. Hiring Aguano wouldn't make that happen anyway.
No good reason to write them all off for ever after.
Another red herring. Nobody has suggested that. Devote resources, but be realistic.
Why not start getting a few to stay and play in state? It doesn't mean you give up on So Cal and Texas.
It would be great if we could! Again - hard to figure it out, and more questionable to devote major resources if they won't bear fruit. It's much more important to me that our next head coach recruit the west coast effectively than Arizona.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose