Our franchise QB

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I want nothing more than Kyler to succeed because that is what this franchise needs, a young superstar QB, but he sure isn't filling me with confidence. Great QBs tend to elevate the team around them and I don't see that with him, still he is young and he can grow.

Kliff isn't the answer at coach but that doesn't absolve Kyler of his problems.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's only part of it. Yes, the team has failed him. That also doesn't absolve KM.

Kyler has failed himself, the team, and the fans, as well. Massively. Is it too late for him to get a true cold-water-in-the-face wake-up call? Probably, but that's about our only hope with him.
Mark my words, it will be once he moves on from the Cardinals.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byron Murphy, Zach Allen & Jalen Thompson are quality NFL players, all were drafted in 2019 and all 3 are better players now then the year they were drafted. Other than that I got nothing. The unfortunate thing is the team fails to draft impact offensive players and it is really starting to show up on Sunday's.

All defensive guys and let’s be real none of those guys are lighting up the league. I don’t see any all pro teams in there future. Nice players to have though but if that’s our best we’re in trouble

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Name me 1 home grown drafted player we have developed into a really good player in the last 4 years

Zach Allen, Byron Murphy, Jalen Thompson...
Add to that, Christian Kirk &Chase Edmonds. No longer with the club, which is a different issue, but they were drafted & developed into quality players.

...dave

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Add to that, Christian Kirk &Chase Edmonds. No longer with the club, which is a different issue, but they were drafted & developed into quality players.

...dave

The same Christian Kirk who single handily cost us 2-3 games with his horrible drops and then there was the time he pulled up before the first down market

I wouldn’t consider none of these guys anything to write home about. Kirk and Edmonds ain’t even here anymore come on now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The same Christian Kirk who single handily cost us 2-3 games with his horrible drops and then there was the time he pulled up before the first down market

I wouldn’t consider none of these guys anything to write home about. Kirk and Edmonds ain’t even here anymore come on now.
I mean, James Conner was practically a vet min FA and did his best in AZ. Kenyan Drake was the same. Chase Edmonds. Kirk.Eno has developed. Greg Dortch has played the best football of his career here however short the time frame.

There is valid criticism for Kliff, not sure this is it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, James Conner was practically a vet min FA and did his best in AZ. Kenyan Drake was the same. Chase Edmonds. Kirk.Eno has developed. Greg Dortch has played the best football of his career here however short the time frame.

Criticism for Kliff is barely giving your consistent weapon for the first quarter of the season, Greg Dortch, any burn anymore just because Rondale came out. Coaching idiocy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK but none of the HIGH picks have developed. I don't think you become a SB team in the NFL by developing mid round picks or FA guys you do it by developing picks in the first 3 rounds and filling in with others.

Look at McBride has a nice game against Carolina, 3 catches, and I don't think he's had a target the last 2 weeks. I get you want to throw to Ertz and Hollywood and getting Rondale back has changed some things but yet another example of a high pick on offense so far being completely squandered by Kliff.

Kyler certainly gets lots of blame for his bad play but look at who we have developing him, Kliff who never won in college even with Mahomes, and young unproven assistants. Kyler has LOTS of work to do but I have zero confidence that Kliff and his staff are the right guys to coach him.

I fully expect to lose to the Saints on Thur and IF you're going to make a move that's when you do it with more time between games. We have a late bye this year I for one don't want to have to play 12 games before they move on from Kliff if it's inevitable and it appears to me it is.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
OK but none of the HIGH picks have developed. I don't think you become a SB team in the NFL by developing mid round picks or FA guys you do it by developing picks in the first 3 rounds and filling in with others.

Look at McBride has a nice game against Carolina, 3 catches, and I don't think he's had a target the last 2 weeks. I get you want to throw to Ertz and Hollywood and getting Rondale back has changed some things but yet another example of a high pick on offense so far being completely squandered by Kliff.

Kyler certainly gets lots of blame for his bad play but look at who we have developing him, Kliff who never won in college even with Mahomes, and young unproven assistants. Kyler has LOTS of work to do but I have zero confidence that Kliff and his staff are the right guys to coach him.

I fully expect to lose to the Saints on Thur and IF you're going to make a move that's when you do it with more time between games. We have a late bye this year I for one don't want to have to play 12 games before they move on from Kliff if it's inevitable and it appears to me it is.
With better QB play, I think the Cardinals have a winning record.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler has failed himself, the team, and the fans, as well. Massively. Is it too late for him to get a true cold-water-in-the-face wake-up call? Probably
Objectivity! Lol

Look, Kyler has blood on his hands. Fine. But football is a team sport. Dudes on both sides of the ball. We've had games where Kyler did great, defense failed. We've had games like today where defense held and Kyler and the offense failed. Let's stop thinking the QB position needs to be all or nothing.... Failing himself? Jesus man. He's a young man playing a sport that has highly profited from his very own skills over the years...and now so is he. Good for him imo...bleed this org dry. It only would confirm all the things we state on this forum every single day about this ownership/front office. They are bloodsuckers. Why be shocked when the flip side does the same?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Kyler needs a real QB coach. Even in a clean pocket his footwork is absolutely atrocious. He needs someone to teach him about going through progressions. He desperately needs someone to teach him about defenses and reading coverages. With the way he's playing it's hard to imagine him being good in any offense. His lack of improvement in these areas is a testament to how bad of a QB "whisperer" KK really is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With better QB play, I think the Cardinals have a winning record.

Of course but I think Kliff has a lot to do with how badly Kyler is playing. I don't think Kliff and his staff know what to do to help Kyler with what he's struggling with.

Kyler is regressing, he was one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL his first 3 years, this year he stinks at it. He was very accurate, this year not accurate. You can see he doesn't believe in the system he's playing in. We gave him a HUGE contract we're not going to get rid of him unless someone just made an insane offer for him and that's not happening.

So you have to TRY to do something to help Kyler and the most obvious thing IMO is change the guy who is coaching him.

I actually think we probably win today if Colt is healthy and played(I don't know if he's healthy even if he was active). But you're not going to be a consistent playoff team with Colt McCoy, to get there you have to develop Kyler Murray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

The GM used a 2nd round pick on a TE after we paid a vet 9 mil to be our TE for an offense that uses 2 TEs at the lowest rate in the NFL. Don't put that on Kliff.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Of course but I think Kliff has a lot to do with how badly Kyler is playing. I don't think Kliff and his staff know what to do to help Kyler with what he's struggling with.

Kyler is regressing, he was one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL his first 3 years, this year he stinks at it. He was very accurate, this year not accurate. You can see he doesn't believe in the system he's playing in. We gave him a HUGE contract we're not going to get rid of him unless someone just made an insane offer for him and that's not happening.

So you have to TRY to do something to help Kyler and the most obvious thing IMO is change the guy who is coaching him.

I actually think we probably win today if Colt is healthy and played(I don't know if he's healthy even if he was active). But you're not going to be a consistent playoff team with Colt McCoy, to get there you have to develop Kyler Murray.
Agree that the Kliff and Kyler pairing is not working.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler needs a real QB coach. Even in a clean pocket his footwork is absolutely atrocious. He needs someone to teach him about going through progressions. He desperately needs someone to teach him about defenses and reading coverages. With the way he's playing it's hard to imagine him being good in any offense. His lack of improvement in these areas is a testament to how bad of a QB "whisperer" KK really is.
His QB coach is his dad.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM used a 2nd round pick on a TE after we paid a vet 9 mil to be our TE for an offense that uses 2 TEs at the lowest rate in the NFL. Don't put that on Kliff.

Why not? We didn't have D Hop the first 6 games, Rondale was hurt, D Hop's backup was hurt. Good NFL coaches adjust and the obvious adjustment was to play more 2 TE sets since we didn't have our WR room healthy. To be fair McBride was hurt so his development was delayed but you can see what happened the minute Rondale got back, and I like Rondale, Kliff went back to the throw the ball laterally offense.

I watched a bunch of different games today in the early games the teams that run lots of screens all do it WAY better than we do and it isn't because of their QB it's because the scheme is better so there's blocking, they're not telegraphing the screen, they're not asking a 5'9" WR to block a LB so that a 5'7" Wr can run etc.

The irony is even though we won 11 games last year IMO the best coaching job Kliff has done in Arizona was his first year. he figured out his college system wasn't going to work so what did he do? He started playing 2 TE's, ran the ball, and changed the offense to something that worked.That's why I was so pleased with his first year I saw a coach willing to admit hey my system didn't work, and he adapted. But we haven't seen that since then.

I'm not saying I want us to be a 2 TE team but I am saying designing an offense built around WR's when you don't have a healthy WR room is not smart. The interior of the OL sucks right now due to injury, what adjustment did we make? Nothing.

And I don't believe for a minute Kliff doesn't have input on draft picks since we've been told over and over that he wanted Isabella for example.

Kliff is massively over his head right now IMO, we're not going to move Murray so it makes no sense to keep hoping Kliff will figure it out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fully believe Kyler has been terrible this year and needs to take lots of blame for what's happened but I also don't believe it's coincidence that we have 3 points in the first quarter in 6 games, I think the offense runs better once we're not in the scripted plays. I think its' Kliffs' job to fix that, improve the practices, call plays Kyler can execute, both. The first drive today was way better but because of 2 plays an RPO that Kyler took for 42 yards, and a 2 yard pass to Rondale that he took for 26 by making 2 guys miss, better coaching but not exactly scheming things wide open just 2 really good plays.

We should have scored a TD on that drive Kyler messed up the 3rd down play but that was after again Kliff messed up the 2nd down play trying to get cute.

I'm tired of sitting in my living room calling the plays before they happen.