Week 5 2022: Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I went to Sunday's game against the Eagles with my dad. His wife got COVID (she's fine) and was still testing positive. This is really the perfect time of year for game days in the Valley. The weather is perfect, the game starts early enough so you're having a good lunch on the tailgate (he picked up beef brats which went down easy but I'd never choose for myself), you can throw the ball around, and you're home in time for dinner.

The stadium was easily 40% full of Eagles fans. They were very polite and friendly, to my experience. They were also LOUD.

State Farm Stadium can be an absolutely rocking fan experience, but it hasn't been for me in a while. The Cards famously have lost eight straight after sleeping the night before in their own beds, but both the Chiefs and Eagles games have been sleepy affairs, and it's not sure the Cards really care.

The #birdcity campaign is so stupid that it's basically an insult to everyone. They moved the drumline to somewhere(??), so the stadium is asking you to focus on the TV and not on the field during the kickoff. And, the scoreboard lists the Cards first. Everyone knows that the home team scores comes second. WTH is going on?

It's funny because the Cards did a good job in this game, mostly. They were 5.5-point underdogs against an undefeated team and lost by three. The game came down to the last play. Arguably, this is the best game the Cards have had. But it wasn't fun to attend. Lifeless experience.

You must be registered for see images attach

Marquise Brown, WR - Hollywood continues to impress. He had a bad and embarrassing drop, but he continues to move the chains and make good catches. With A.J. Green back in the fold, he also has started to see work out of the slot -- a likely preview of where he can be even more impactful once Hopkins comes back from suspension.

Byron Murphy, CB - Hard to look better as a corner than 9 tackles, 3 for loss and half a sack. You'd love it if Murphy converted a couple more opportunities into turnovers, but A.J. Brown was held to just 32 yards receiving. An impressive showing. Murphy is making an argument to be the top free agent corner in 2023.

Zach Allen, DE - Got another sack to go with eight tackles and 2 QB hits. Allen cannot and should not be the best player on a good defensive line, but he'll make an excellent Robin to someone's Batman. By the way, J.J. Watt played 55 snaps and that's too many.

Leki Fotu, DT - Back in the old Madden days there was a commentary were after a short yardage play John would say "When it's third down, you know it's about to be first down." It seems like Philly converted every third-and-short opportunity with a simple quick snap up the middle. Right into Fotu.

Zaven Collins, ILB - Expectations for Collins have been lowered sufficiently that if he takes the field without tripping over his shoelaces someone will post a Twitter video on Thursday that's like "Zaven Collins really coming along now." Collins is a first-round pick playing like Kevin Minter. Played 100% of snaps without a splash play.

Kyler Murray, QB - Sometimes it's fun to imagine what would have happened if Kyler hadn't been extended this offseason. Like, this is his big pitch to get a top-of-market extension. In the first drive of the game Kyler went with quick dumpoffs to Rondale Moore on consecutive downs before throwing a third short pass on 3rd and 9 to apparently no one.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
And the kicker isn’t a goat along with Keim for signing a guy who’s 2 for 8 on game tying & game winning kicks? He missed just weeks ago as well. Keim put that team in a poor position yesterday if it came down to a kick & it did

Everyone on The Oline played well too with that vaunted Iggles defense.

Goodness man this is pretty much worthless to do now imo

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And the kicker isn’t a goat along with Keim for signing a guy who’s 2 for 8 on game tying & game winning kicks? He missed just weeks ago as well. Keim put that team in a poor position yesterday if it came down to a kick & it did

Would definitely have the kicker/Keim over Zaven. And Hollywood a hero after dropping a probable game winning 80yd TD? Meh

Hero: Allen, Murphy, RBs
Goat: Kyler, Kliff, Keim, VJ

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am pretty stunned how well Byron Murphy is playing. I did not think he had it in him.

We have to get him resigned, even more than Zach Allen. It's kind of amazing both of the main two guys we didn't get resigned are breaking out.

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
I get the anger here on this board, but is nobody else encouraged by the performance yesterday? I understand we should be past moral victories with a 250m QB, but yesterday proved to me that we are closer to the playoff team I expected this year than to the bottom third team in league based on start to year. 3-3 with Hop coming back could really set us up for a strong finish to the year and maybe picking up some momentum heading into December. Gotta use Kyler's legs in the first quarter.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As I keep saying. There are no kickers worth signing that are will to fill in for just a game.

This "Keim should have signed a better kicker" stuff is bunk.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I went to Sunday's game against the Eagles with my dad. His wife got COVID (she's fine) and was still testing positive. This is really the perfect time of year for game days in the Valley. The weather is perfect, the game starts early enough so you're having a good lunch on the tailgate (he picked up beef brats which went down easy but I'd never choose for myself), you can throw the ball around, and you're home in time for dinner.

The stadium was easily 40% full of Eagles fans. They were very polite and friendly, to my experience. They were also LOUD.

State Farm Stadium can be an absolutely rocking fan experience, but it hasn't been for me in a while. The Cards famously have lost eight straight after sleeping the night before in their own beds, but both the Chiefs and Eagles games have been sleepy affairs, and it's not sure the Cards really care.

The #birdcity campaign is so stupid that it's basically an insult to everyone. They moved the drumline to somewhere(??), so the stadium is asking you to focus on the TV and not on the field during the kickoff. And, the scoreboard lists the Cards first. Everyone knows that the home team scores comes second. WTH is going on?

It's funny because the Cards did a good job in this game, mostly. They were 5.5-point underdogs against an undefeated team and lost by three. The game came down to the last play. Arguably, this is the best game the Cards have had. But it wasn't fun to attend. Lifeless experience.

Marquise Brown, WR - Hollywood continues to impress. He had a bad and embarrassing drop, but he continues to move the chains and make good catches. With A.J. Green back in the fold, he also has started to see work out of the slot -- a likely preview of where he can be even more impactful once Hopkins comes back from suspension.

Byron Murphy, CB - Hard to look better as a corner than 9 tackles, 3 for loss and half a sack. You'd love it if Murphy converted a couple more opportunities into turnovers, but A.J. Brown was held to just 32 yards receiving. An impressive showing. Murphy is making an argument to be the top free agent corner in 2023.

Zach Allen, DE - Got another sack to go with eight tackles and 2 QB hits. Allen cannot and should not be the best player on a good defensive line, but he'll make an excellent Robin to someone's Batman. By the way, J.J. Watt played 55 snaps and that's too many.

Leki Fotu, DT - Back in the old Madden days there was a commentary were after a short yardage play John would say "When it's third down, you know it's about to be first down." It seems like Philly converted every third-and-short opportunity with a simple quick snap up the middle. Right into Fotu.

Zaven Collins, ILB - Expectations for Collins have been lowered sufficiently that if he takes the field without tripping over his shoelaces someone will post a Twitter video on Thursday that's like "Zaven Collins really coming along now." Collins is a first-round pick playing like Kevin Minter. Played 100% of snaps without a splash play.

Kyler Murray, QB - Sometimes it's fun to imagine what would have happened if Kyler hadn't been extended this offseason. Like, this is his big pitch to get a top-of-market extension. In the first drive of the game Kyler went with quick dumpoffs to Rondale Moore on consecutive downs before throwing a third short pass on 3rd and 9 to apparently no one.
The hero named Brown was sneaky when he sprouted goat horns dropping that pass when he had fields of green in front of him, while the goat Kyler was sneaky when he removed his goat horns making Brown a hero by delivering those passes :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

And Lawrence was just starting to look pretty good prior to his injury.

Reactions: PJ1

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the anger here on this board, but is nobody else encouraged by the performance yesterday? I understand we should be past moral victories with a 250m QB, but yesterday proved to me that we are closer to the playoff team I expected this year than to the bottom third team in league based on start to year. 3-3 with Hop coming back could really set us up for a strong finish to the year and maybe picking up some momentum heading into December. Gotta use Kyler's legs in the first quarter.
Yes I am encouraged.

The cards D is clearly for real. I now actually believe D Hopkins return "might" be enough to get this team into the playoffs.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
You referring to Cardinal luck, or Keim's incompetence. Because I did not see this coming either so I'm not sure I blame Keim.
Here we go again - Teflon Keim gets a pass (and an extension!) because random dudes with day jobs on a message board named MaoTosiFanClub and Krangondzr don’t foresee his botched personnel moves in advance!

It’s Keim’s freaking job to read to tea leaves of his own roster and award team-friendly extensions in advance in order to build a better roster. Sorry but that’s GM 101. He doesn’t get a pass because us morons also didn’t see it coming.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I keep saying. There are no kickers worth signing that are will to fill in for just a game.

This "Keim should have signed a better kicker" stuff is bunk.

Literally the day we signed Ammendola, the Eagles signed Dicker the kicker who went 2-2 and made both Xp's. Included among those was a 42 yarder I think they said was good from 54. Admittedly it wasn't a game deciding kick so less pressure but I think even the announcers expected Ammendola to miss based on his history and that they saw him missing kicks right going that way in warmups before the game.

Obviously Justin Tucker isn't available but Ammendola was NOT a good choice.

Michael Badgley made 4-4 FG's for the Bears earlier this year got cut and was signed off the Lions practice squad on Friday and kicked for the Lions on sunday. Didn't miss a kick, ok they got shut out so he didn't attempt one! Doesn't have a big leg but he can make a 43 yarder

Ammendola in his career is 2-6 from 40-49 and 0-3 from 50+ so 2-9 on kicks over 40 yards. That's just not an NFL kicker.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Yes I am encouraged.

The cards D is clearly for real. I now actually believe D Hopkins return "might" be enough to get this team into the playoffs.
Cardinals exceeded my expectations and had a chance to win it at the end. Inept QB, coaching, and FG kicking ruined it. Eagles are one of the top 3 NFC teams at this point and the Cardinals should have gotten the upset.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here we go again - Teflon Keim gets a pass (and an extension!) because random dudes with day jobs on a message board named MaoTosiFanClub and Krangondzr don’t foresee his botched personnel moves in advance!

It’s Keim’s freaking job to read to tea leaves of his own roster and award team-friendly extensions in advance in order to build a better roster. Sorry but that’s GM 101. He doesn’t get a pass because us morons also didn’t see it coming.
In my defense - and I have been keeping track - while far from perfect I would have done a better job as GM than Keim has. Lol.

And based on how bad almost every GM is at drafting and making free agent signings, I don't think GM's are any better making moves than a lot of fans are - the evidence just isn't there.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Literally the day we signed Ammendola, the Eagles signed Dicker the kicker who went 2-2 and made both Xp's. Included among those was a 42 yarder I think they said was good from 54. Admittedly it wasn't a game deciding kick so less pressure but I think even the announcers expected Ammendola to miss based on his history and that they saw him missing kicks right going that way in warmups before the game.

Michael Badgley made 4-4 FG's for the Bears earlier this year got cut and was signed off the Lions practice squad on Friday and kicked for the Lions on sunday. Didn't miss a kick, ok they got shut out so he didn't attempt one! Doesn't have a big leg but he can make a 43 yarder

Ammendola in his career is 2-6 from 40-49 and 0-3 from 50+ so 2-9 on kicks over 40 yards. That's just not an NFL kicker.

Rodrigo Blankenship, who was in for a tryout, is 15 - 19 in his career from 40-49 yards. 90% success under 50 yards overall in his career.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It doesn't mean Dicker is better. It just means in this game he made his kicks and Amendola didn't. Dicker had never kicked before in the league, at least Amendola had some experience.

And we couldn't sign anyone from a PS and have them around for 3 weeks when Prater should only miss one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am pretty stunned how well Byron Murphy is playing. I did not think he had it in him.

We have to get him resigned, even more than Zach Allen. It's kind of amazing both of the main two guys we didn't get resigned are breaking out.
I'm not stunned.

Byron Murphy has consistently improved every season, as has Zach Allen. Last season, both of them were good football players.

I'd guess the Cardinals could've signed Allen for pennies on the dollar this offseason. Both will require pretty good contracts to resign.

I won't be shocked to see both of them walk.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not stunned.

Byron Murphy has consistently improved every season, as has Zach Allen. Last season, both of them were good football players.

I'd guess the Cardinals could've signed Allen for pennies on the dollar this offseason. Both will require pretty good contracts to resign.

I won't be shocked to see both of them walk.
I expect one to walk, one to get franchised.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I expect one to walk, one to get franchised.
If that's the case, I resign Allen.

If Vance stays, there is pretty solid proof that the team DOESN'T require top talent at cornerback to be fairly successful. As much as I like Murphy, he's a limited player because he doesn't have ideal size and speed. He's a good player because of instincts and technique.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose