Week 4 2022: Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So my youngest had another birthday party yesterday afternoon (the second in two weeks!). This time I played the smart game, dumped him off at the venue, and hustled over to the Casual Pint in South Chandler.

The NFL TV product has just gotten worse and worse. The in-stadium experience in a close game (or sometimes a blowout your team is on the right side of) is unmatched. But in the past few years I've found the live televised experience excruciating.

Part of it is that I have changed: EPL and Champions League soccer is a great live experience, including largely more interesting crowds, no commercial interruptions, and better announcing crews.

But part of it is that networks are under pressure to create as much advertising inventory as possible to justify the fees their paying to carry the games. And there aren't enough high-budget advertisers, so you see the same ads over and over again.

When I've been to bars that carry the NFL Today four-box program, the screen is so crowded with redundant score updates and nonsense that it's further unwatchable.

I'd probably DVR games and jump in an hour later and fast forward through all the nonsense, but the Cards have been bad and boring. It's a big ask to sit through two to three hours of bad ball in the hopes that we won't fall short at the end.

Heroes

Dennis Gardeck, OLB.
Gardeck's usage is strange. He played 20 defensive snaps and ended up with 5 tackles, a sack, and a pass defensed.

Zach Allen, DE. Allen continues to make himself money. He got a sack, 3 passes defensed and six tackles yesterday. He's probably playing more snaps than you'd like (94%!), but the alternative is, like Jonathan Ledbetter. Yikes.

Marquise Brown, WR. Brown only caught six of his 11 targets, but five of those targets resulted in first downs or touchdowns.

Goats

Rondale Moore, WR.
LOL. All that for seven net yards in six opportunities. Gotta get the ball in this guy's hands more.

James Conner, RB. Averaged under 4 YPC in a win and added 3 receptions for 7 YPC. He's so washed, and it's hurting the team because he can't take the pressure off Kyler to stay ahead of the sticks. We're very bad right now on first-down offense.

Kyler Murray, QB. Look at this sequence, man:

You must be registered for see images attach

People are going to blame Kliff for the problems on 3rd down, but Kyler's decisions to yeet the ball down the sideline on 3rd down and short are sometimes mystifying. Although he ended up 2-4 for 39 yards and a TD in this game where he went deep on third and short, so what do I know.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This week is the one I pretty much agree with you. I think Vance belongs in the goats heroes though. I would have put him there instead of Brown.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Goats

Rondale Moore, WR.
LOL. All that for seven net yards in six opportunities. Gotta get the ball in this guy's hands more.
I get the goat part, but getting the ball in his hands more? Rondale looked like an intriguing weapon to start last year, then pretty much everything was horizontal to him. Panthers game was more of the same, and if this is all Rondale brings to the table, another wasted 2nd rounder on a gimmick player.

Also, you're right on about the EPL/Champions league football. Over in 2 hrs, NO COMMERCIALS, pitch is pleasing on the eyes, and the commentators are hilarious/insightful in a way you don't get in most US sports.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the goat part, but getting the ball in his hands more? Rondale looked like an intriguing weapon to start last year, then pretty much everything was horizontal to him. Panthers game was more of the same, and if this is all Rondale brings to the table, another wasted 2nd rounder on a gimmick player.

Also, you're right on about the EPL/Champions league football. Over in 2 hrs, NO COMMERCIALS, pitch is pleasing on the eyes, and the commentators are hilarious/insightful in a way you don't get in most US sports.
I’m pretty sure K9 was being sarcastic with that Rondale comment.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This week is the one I pretty much agree with you. I think Vance belongs in the goats though. I would have put him there instead of Brown.
I assume you mean Heroes.

I don't think the Panthers are very good offensively and you have to do much to contain them.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
but Kyler's decisions to yeet the ball down the sideline on 3rd down and short are sometimes mystifying.
defenses clearly know: if you show K1 this coverage pre snap on 3rd down, the throw will be a deep sideline throw.

Hollywood wasnt really open either on that play. I fully expect an all-22 look to show at least two receivers open for a first down. I suspect that 2nd down will be similar: that arrow route to Conner has been snuffed two weeks in a row

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think the Panthers are very good offensively and you have to do much to contain them.
I do. Of course.

The Panthers are terrible offensively. Doesn't meant that Vance didn't do a good job.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This week is the one I pretty much agree with you. I think Vance belongs in the goats though. I would have put him there instead of Brown.
Why Vance? Held Panthers to nothing and held Rams to 20. Kept the Raiders game in control in 2nd half. Chiefs are Chiefs..

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree, I'm sick of Kyler hucking it downfield on 3rd and short. Its his favorite thing to do and Im not sure why. Take the easy short routes!

Odd take on the commercials and soccer vs NLF. How can you complain about a 3 hour viewing session on gameday when your time here weekly probably exceeds the game time itself?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d rather watch a random champions league game vs a random nfl game any day.
I like watching Champions League too, but this is a weird place to post this...

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I got a problem with your goat picker. I mean playing "meh" shouldn't qualify someone as a goat; see James Connor and Kyler. I direct you to Marco Wilson, who never gets within two yards of his man on any pass in his direction, and also couldn't tackle a statue. Now there's a thoroughbred goat for you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

On saying that since game 1 this defense is giving up 18 points a game on average.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can u show us the full list (grades) about the offense

M. Brown 80.3 (71)
E. Benjamin 80.1 (11)
Z. Ertz 74.2 (62)
W. Hernandez 68.1 (58)
DJ Humphries 67.5 (76)
J. Conner 66.6 (50)
D. Williams 64.1 (16)
K. Beachum 64.0 (76)